Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: easiest way to get horsepower?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
steve-0
okay everyeon i'm wondering what's the easiest simplest and best way to add hp to your celica. i got the st so it's suppose to be 110hp well i want more and i dont feel like spending and arm and a leg. well give me some ideas the price and how much hp i gain out of it thanks. steve-0
skydrol
the easiest and most cheap way i could think of is gutting you whole inerior. a lighter car helps for better acceleration. thats the end resalt we all want. and we all know the celica could use a diet!
steve-0
oh and what do these cars usally top out at?..............
Charlie97L
QUOTE (skydrol @ May 27, 2003 - 8:06 PM)
the easiest and most cheap way i could think of is gutting you whole inerior. a lighter car helps for better acceleration. thats the end resalt we all want. and we all know the celica could use a diet!

i disagree. the ST is pretty damn light as cars go. the engine isn't great.

don't get me wrong, you can get great HP out of a celica, but it will cost $$. i'd say, an engine swap or a custom turbo kit will be the best way to go.

i can't really help you unless you give me some more info, like how much HP you are aiming for.
94TRDCeli
yea id say engine swap is your best bet 4agze
steve-0
im not exactly sure what i'm aiming for rite now. i'm still new to the whole celica thing and for all i know the guy could screw me over good and i might not get it so i jst want some ideas on what to do.
ghostdog
weight reduction would be the cheapest way. that would entail removing your bodykit and stripping everything else from your car. if you don't want to do that, well its gonna cost some money. your looking at something in the range of 3 grand USD for 200 hp.
No0bOne
1. Car is too slow to even think about weight reduction. an ITR is an exeption.
2. Wether it be ST or GT, to be fast an engine swap is the most definite route to go.

I've been thinking lately guys, what if our 6GC was never to be released outside of japan? Like a Nissan Skyline for example? Will they even have 5S or even 7FE engines in it?
Koricidin
i saw your car on ebay not to long ago..
steve-0
so what would an engine swap cost and well like i said earlier ijust got into the whole celi thing so i'm still learning my engines here...........if anyone wants to explain some of the diffs
ghostdog
QUOTE (No0bOne @ May 27, 2003 - 9:19 PM)
2.  Wether it be ST or GT, to be fast an engine swap is the most definite route to go.

I've been thinking lately guys, what if our 6GC was never to be released outside of japan? Like a Nissan Skyline for example? Will they even have 5S or even 7FE engines in it?

what? any car can benefit from weight reduction. think about it. which do you think is faster a 115 hp car that weighs 2700 lbs or a 115 hp car that weighs 2000 lbs. imagine if you sawzalled the entire frame so it was just the bare essentials, you'd be running 13s with a stock 7a.

and re: the never to be released outside of japan comment. of course they wouldn't have economy engines in them. Japanese people, for the most part, aren't into cars that "look fast" (with nothing to back it up).

to steve-o. learn to use the search function. these same questions have been asked many times. wink.gif
Travis
Yeah, just go back to the engine performance forum page at the very top forum has feasible engine swaps, coomer was cool enough to list all applicable engines and even some that won't work w/o some serious dough. oh yeah welcome! This site is the SH*T! and since you're new, other sites that you can check are celica online, and celica.net.
steve-0
okay thanks travis.
steve-0
what's just a good cheap way for hp without doing a swap i could do one in the future when i have money again or sell my other car.................ya just something simple cost efficent and not to bad of a hp gain.....
Doge
just get what everyone else starts out with...exhaust, intake, sparkplugs and wires, etc.
Travis
new ECU (computer chip) is the best way to start on hp gains, starts around 300 bones, and reprogrammed chip(tha best) for around 600, intake and exhaust is always good, I started w/the intake, but don't expect a kick in the arse from it! but exhaust systems always help out in higher rpms! plus they give a evil sound to the ST's! Start checking out import tuner and similar magazines, they start w/base models and do dyno test's on each mod they install, so gives a good idea of what too expect! Granted each car responds differently, and some things help out more then others! but should give you a picture of what to expect. Some good places to shop for mods you ask? NOPI,TRDusa,and breeze through here, you'll find anything your looking for and most likely someone here's tried it!
ghostdog
QUOTE (Travis @ May 28, 2003 - 3:21 AM)
new ECU (computer chip) is the best way to start on hp gains, starts around 300 bones, and reprogrammed chip(tha best) for around 600

sorry man. but ecu is the last thing you should modify. otherwise you have to get it re-adjusted for every additional mod you do.

I would go in this order: plugs wires > cold air intake > full exhaust > header > pulley > ecu (safc)

that should cost you a grand at cheapest. or you could save for a engine swap or turbo. your choice. wink.gif
steve-0
okay thanks man ya i'll take all that into consideration.
Rivo
All those things (including chip reprogramming) will run your more than a grand. for 1500 you can have a 3sge swapped in (this is with a shop doing it, not yourself). That'll give you 177 hp instead of 135 and it'll give you a much better base to start doing all those other mods. IMO
Stipt
I agree Rivo....from what I have learned from the forums, an engine swap is usually the best thing you could invest in for additional/higher power gains for not that much. Its not too expensive if you think about your gains and possibilities with the new engine. I wish I would have saved my money from buying my JL audio and put it towards a 3sgte swap Oh well!
steve-0
ya well iwill defently consider a engine swap just how much will it cost me and how hard is it for me to do it myself..........and well my dad he's an engine speciallist so i could do it in the shop instead to save money and time.
Benevolence
Some people will say its a snap, just drops right in. From seeing bunch of people do it problems always arise, and it your planning on a 3sgte gonna be more work since you have a ST AUTO
Stipt
Yeah, most people would advise a 3sge swap and just upgrade the engine or somefin. Thats what I was told by several people, even though I have a GT *coughs*
skydrol
oh, the things we would do if we could just turn back time...
HyperDeathKill
QUOTE (gh0st_d0g @ May 27, 2003 - 10:34 PM)
2.  Wether it be ST or GT, to be fast an engine swap is the most definite route to go.

what? any car can benefit from weight reduction. think about it. which do you think is faster a 115 hp car that weighs 2700 lbs or a 115 hp car that weighs 2000 lbs. imagine if you sawzalled the entire frame so it was just the bare essentials, you'd be running 13s with a stock 7a.

and re: the never to be released outside of japan comment. of course they wouldn't have economy engines in them. Japanese people, for the most part, aren't into cars that "look fast" (with nothing to back it up).

Of course they would have economy engines. Have you ever BEEN to japan? Hardly anyone there drives sports cars, it's crowded, traffic sucks, and there is no parking. A car is more often than over here, just a thing to get you from point A to point B.
HyperDeathKill
Hey and lets be honest about an engine swap here:

$1500 to get the front clip
$500 to have it shipped
$1000 to have it installed

$3000 min

To say nothing of parts that you might (and will) need to buy
ghostdog
QUOTE (HyperDeathKill @ May 28, 2003 - 4:28 PM)
Of course they would have economy engines. Have you ever BEEN to japan? Hardly anyone there drives sports cars, it's crowded, traffic sucks, and there is no parking. A car is more often than over here, just a thing to get you from point A to point B.

yeah, actually I was born and raised there. wink.gif

but anyway, yes of course they have economy cars/engines, the point is there is no market in Japan for all show no go. people for the most part don't modify 115 hp cars because they have 300 hp skylines to play with. hell if I could buy a R32 GTR or GT-FOUR for 6 grand I don't think I would own a ST either.

and btw, you are wrong about hardly any sports cars. I dunno what part of Japan you were at but the performance car scene is HUGE. I used to live in tokyo and let me tell you there are fast cars EVERYWHERE.
HyperDeathKill
There are fast cars everywhere in Japan, this is true. But compare them to the non-fast cars, obviously not every one drives a skyline. Come over to my part of the country sometime, I'll show you all the Mercedes, BMWs, supras, porchses, the kids drive to SCHOOL. And I ain't talking about your old crappy family mercedes and beamers here. I can't drive to work without seeing a porsche.

But keeping everything in perspective, I just wouldn't go around making generalizations. I mean, I definitly wouldn't say that Americans, for the most part, are into cars that look fast with nothing to back it up
edo17982
In Japan they also don't drive those cars cause thay're too expensve there! also the fuel there is more expensive than here in Europe!!! (just think that here is about 1.15$ for 1 liter) the advantage is there the gas pumps run with 102 octane fuel....here we've 98 wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
Stipt
Dude a ST205 clip will cost more then 1.5k Maybe from Venus, but from like Jarco it costs like 2.5k I think
Jason
If you get behind your car and push, you'll get more HP than using the gas pedal.
No0bOne
What the...a 3rd gen ST205 front clip is only 2.5k? what about n/a currens?
No0bOne
QUOTE (gh0st_d0g @ May 27, 2003 - 10:34 PM)

to steve-o. learn to use the search function. these same questions have been asked many times. wink.gif

Yea you're right.

A car that weighs 3.5k lbs can hit high 11s'. The thing that concerns me is already peeling out with that much power and weight. How could the car than fix traction problem? Furthermore, if the person planned on shaving off weight...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.