Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hard/much would it be..
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
95CelicaST
I have an Over-Axel exhaust system and I was debating on taking it in to have it switched to an Under-Axel exhaust. One thing I am worried about though is when I get my Coilovers put on. Would it even be possible to be so low as to scrape the piping? I think it was Manny who said he doesn't scrape at all even over bumps and stuff, so maybe I shouldn't be worried. How much (on average) do you think a shop may charge for this?
TrdKing
Why would you do this?

What do you think you will gain?

Starcraftjunkie
If you do under axle, it allows for a much straighter piping. Instead of having to loop around the rear axle in an "n" kinda shape. It allows for better flow, I think. tongue.gif
95CelicaST
Yeah, better flow, even though it isn't going to do anything. I just prefer the look of an under Axel set-up.
Hanyo
i would rather spend the money on other things.

95CelicaST
i would rather spend the money on other things.

...then do so. I'm not saying this is going to be my next modification, I'm just saying an under-axel set-up is something I want to do in the future.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(TrdKing @ Mar 2, 2006 - 6:51 PM) [snapback]401928[/snapback]

Why would you do this?

Alot of people do this because the over the axle part of the cat back is almost half of a circle. The flow is much better under the axle. Manny has pictures posted take a look this is very common with people with turbo set-ups.

You may scrape but thats a risk you will take. If you get a small exhaust your are less likely to scrape than with a 3''. I believe Manny had 3'' clearance with his 3'' exhaust, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bottom line: yes you can do it, yes it'll increase your risk of scraping, but just be careful.
presure2
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Mar 3, 2006 - 4:23 PM) [snapback]402313[/snapback]

QUOTE(TrdKing @ Mar 2, 2006 - 6:51 PM) [snapback]401928[/snapback]

Why would you do this?

Alot of people do this because the over the axle part of the cat back is almost half of a circle. The flow is much better under the axle. Manny has pictures posted take a look this is very common with people with turbo set-ups.

You may scrape but thats a risk you will take. If you get a small exhaust your are less likely to scrape than with a 3''. I believe Manny had 3'' clearance with his 3'' exhaust, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bottom line: yes you can do it, yes it'll increase your risk of scraping, but just be careful.

yup erik, it was 3"..
one thing people forget about when they see it is that that is at its lowest point, right in the middle of the suspension arms. when you go over a speedbump, or whatever, the exhaust moves up with the rest of the chassis.
also, with smaller piping, and a more compotent shop, im sure you could get it tighter to the body, which would give you more clearance.
the only time you'll scrape is when you hit MAJOR, rim busting pot holes, on the passanger side of the car.
i have to drive down majorly crappy dirt roads from time to time for work, and even then, as long as i am decently carefull, i dont scrape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.