Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could this be a tranny problem?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
jgreening
When I take a corner at speed (for example, a 30mph offramp), I hear what sounds like suspension components rubbing in the front. Today I did it for the first time in second gear (rather than 3rd) and the sound was MUCH worse. It makes me wonder if my problem could be tranny related rather than a bad bushing or other suspension component making the sound.

I do not get the sound at any other times and I have had no shifting issues since installing my urethane mounts.

Any thoughts?
Supersprynt
Does it cahnge depending on what side the weight is on?
lagos
always blame the tranny LAST. i would say that you have an axel or suspension problem.

ill share my funny story with you. for a few weeks now, my car has been making a horrible noise at idle. it got so bad that i would hear it when driving around, and also smell something buring. the noise would go away when i press the clutch in. so i started thinking that it MUST be a tranny/clutch problem. made an appointment to the place that installed the clutch the last time. on my way there... the car sounds horrible. im half way to the shop when a hear POP. the car wont go anywhere and just idles while in gear with the clutch out. i keep thinking, what the hell? my presure plate came loose? .........long story short, one of my axel bracket blots fell out and the other one broke off inside the engine block. the noise i was hearing was the bracket rattleing against the engine block. the smell came from the tranny oil as it was slowly leaking out because the axel started to work itself out of the tranny. it fully came out and the car leaked out all the tranny oil when the car broke down on the road. hopefully ill be getting the car back tomorrow once the broken bolts are drilled out and the hole is taped with new threads.
Defgeph
Check that new design sus tech sway bar you have. That might be it.
trd94
i think it could be a wheel bearing going bad ,thats what mine sounded like wink.gif
Batman722
is it turning at higher RPMs you hear the sound ?

also Art, damn !!
hitcachi
Hmmm. I dont think the tranny is to blame here. This is definitly got to be a suspension related problem. My guess is the sway bar that Def mentioned. Keep us updated if you find out anything more. -Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.