Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3sgte swap thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Pages: 1, 2, 3
brianforster
Purchased intercooler piping, intercooler, clamps, etc. from a number of different sources (bends, clamps, couplers from roadraceengineering.com, straight pipe from atpturbo, and intercooler from johnnyracecar.)

total 509$ still awaiting shipment calculations from roadraceengineering. (playr, im not sure where your calculations came from you bum, because it was definitly more expensive then that damn ebay kit, but well do it your way tongue.gif)

just put in a phone call to an exhaust shop for a 3" custom exhaust from the downpipe back. said the muffler alone is like 100$ (i said give me the least flashy thing possible, i basically just want pipe sticking out the back no canister) hes gonna call back with a quote tomorrow.

i do not have emissions, but in order to pass state inspection i have to have a cat, so i had them give me the quote including that. waiting on a call back for that.

car is enroute (see general thread) but needs a new front bumper and windshield, i still have yet to see pics of it, so hopefully chucky (bojangles_8686) will give us all some good pics when he gets out of class at 8:45.

this will be the thread where i post updates on it, were looking to complete the entire swap in about a week, or a little longer, it will be sped up by the fact that the wiring is complete and the engine was pulled from a 6gc with the swap already finished.

-Brian

Edit: As far as budget goes, I still have about 1200$ left to hopefully finish the following
boost gauge
exhaust
front bumper
windshield
inspection, tags, title.
misc things needed during swap (like unbelievaburgers.. oh yeah, oil too tongue.gif)
lagos
where did you get the motor from? did you set aside money for tune up stuff, clutch, etc? exhausts and IC piping are the last thing you need to really worry about. get the motor in and make sure it runs well.
yungazzdriver
hey yo do u street race or interested in?
brianforster
another update:

i do not WISH to have a triple gauge pod but i cant find much else. i did find REALLY sweet gauges, that black out when they turn off, i like being inconspicuous, nothing too flashy here.

considering buying these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-S7-INVIS...sspagenameZWDVW

QUOTE(lagos @ Mar 8, 2006 - 12:22 AM) [snapback]404150[/snapback]

where did you get the motor from? did you set aside money for tune up stuff, clutch, etc? exhausts and IC piping are the last thing you need to really worry about. get the motor in and make sure it runs well.

got the motor from mark_426 who had it fresh rebuilt 1000 miles before he wrecked it! Clutch thats in it is good, and is a centerforce stage 3.

reason why i say IC and exhaust is because the motor was pulled, running strong, fresh rebuild, from his celica.

i have like i said, about 1200$ for the rest of the things on my list and i do not think that i will spend it all.
yungazzdriver
or not??????
brianforster
QUOTE(yungazzdriver @ Mar 8, 2006 - 12:22 AM) [snapback]404151[/snapback]

hey yo do u street race or interested in?

i will be taking the car to MIR, but i do not street race.
yungazzdriver
oh ok kool hope to see you im glad theres atleast one drag celica i can relate to cuz theres a lot road racing celicas in MD, which is kool id like to try it someday but ill always be on drag
lagos
oh no, not that motor... sorry dont mean to scare you, but i would set as much money aside as possible untill you swap that in and get it running and verify that everything is 100%.

dont buy those gauges. i think a few people here had problems with them. also, dont buy a gauge that reads up to 30psi of boost. your needled will barely move and it will be hard to read. get a gauge that reads up to 20psi the most. autometer, stewardwarner, vdo, greddy, etc are good ones to look at.
brianforster
QUOTE(lagos @ Mar 8, 2006 - 12:34 AM) [snapback]404159[/snapback]

oh no, not that motor... sorry dont mean to scare you, but i would set as much money aside as possible untill you swap that in and get it running and verify that everything is 100%.

dont buy those gauges. i think a few people here had problems with them. also, dont buy a gauge that reads up to 30psi of boost. your needled will barely move and it will be hard to read. get a gauge that reads up to 20psi the most. autometer, stewardwarner, vdo, greddy, etc are good ones to look at.

haha wow, dont mean to scare me, well you did! what could be wrong with it? I know it sounded a little rough at first (developed rod nock and had it rebuilt) but considering mark turned down higher offers AND delivered the motor to me, helped me unpack it, and has answered all my questions, seems like hes a trustworthy guy.

as for the gauges, damn, i really liked them.
lagos
QUOTE(brianforster @ Mar 7, 2006 - 7:38 PM) [snapback]404162[/snapback]

QUOTE(lagos @ Mar 8, 2006 - 12:34 AM) [snapback]404159[/snapback]

haha wow, dont mean to scare me, well you did! what could be wrong with it? I know it sounded a little rough at first (developed rod nock and had it rebuilt) but considering mark turned down higher offers AND delivered the motor to me, helped me unpack it, and has answered all my questions, seems like hes a trustworthy guy.

as for the gauges, damn, i really liked them.

all i know is that he had a lot of problems with it, he didnt know anything about the 3sgte and had some totally clue less people work on it and do a horrible job. i hope you have better luck with it, but dont spend your money on toys untill you get to see it run inside your own car.
brianforster
do you mean mark or DMC, he said it was running great when he got it back from quarter mile customs, are those the people you say "worked on it but did a horrible job"

and i dont consider boost gauge, ic, and exhaust toys.. they seem like necessary things for a good running, safe swap.
snapshotgt
Good Luck on the swap...post pics of the work!

~snap
bojangles_8686
Nice.. I will post some pics up tonight when the shell gets here.
BBoYRuGGeD
ah yes i've got the gauges that are completely black when the car is turned off and light up when the car is turned on. they look awesome at night but are hard to see during the day. also, mines from glow-shift and i like it except for the fact that its off a tiny bit...lol

good luck on ur motor swap brian and i hope it goes without any snag. smile.gif

bboy
brianforster
bad news, transposed from another thread: its an st, and the airbags are blown. i was lied to, heh.
BBoYRuGGeD
well that sucks...whats your course of action now?

bboy
brianforster
nothing i can do really, its my fault for buying the car without so much as seeing a picture and trusting the guy i was talking to on the phone.

for any wondering this is NOT easternpiros fault, he was a big help and is even offering to go confront the seller about it.

now it appears i start to source:
rear break conversion
power window conversion
possible airbag parts
headlights
front bumper.

as cheap as possible.

also parts needed to put the 3sgte into an st, ive still got research to do as far as thats concerned.
lagos
and i dont consider boost gauge, ic, and exhaust toys.. they seem like necessary things for a good running, safe swap.

i just mean, dont go buying turbo timers, electronic boost gauges and all the other expensive stuff for turbo cars. concentrate on the basics, inspect any rubber seals or gaskets, and just make sure that you have money left over for the "what if" situations. like i said, i dont really know any insder info on that motor, but im suspicious of it because of its rebuild and other issues i read about it.
playr158
don't worry art i'll school him in the ways of necessity b4 toys wink.gif

brian don't worry we got this

and on a side note (sorry i can't help my self)
streetracings lol he got enough nos in there to blow him self up!
brianforster
yeah, playr is definitly the master at turning my pathetic ripped off self and my poor wrecked ST into as close as gt as humanly possible haha.
CelicaZR
Good luck with the swap smile.gif
You are such an awesome guy Art, always looking out for
the well being of other members and giving good advices thumbsup.gif
lagos
QUOTE(CelicaZR @ Mar 8, 2006 - 7:06 AM) [snapback]404476[/snapback]

You are such an awesome guy Art, always looking out for
the well being of other members and giving good advices thumbsup.gif

thanks man, i apriciate it.
brianforster
playr ill be coming home next friday or saturday depending on when i can get someone with a truck to help me tote the engine home smile.gif
Drocay
if u guys need any help, i'm close as well.
scothaniel
in order to pass state inspection i have to have a cat

Get a cheapy from Summit Racing - like $60. The local exhaust shop said the same thing to me, then tried to charge $225 for a cat.
brianforster
update:

today me daniel (playr158) mark (mark_426) and brandon i think (pimped6gen) had a fun day of pulling stuff off of marks car.

i got the doors (to make sure everythign was there for power windows we just unbolted the door at the hinge and brought it home like that) the dash, shifter trim, body wiring harness, rear brakes, gt shifter cables, throttle cables, and prolly other stuff i dont remember.

this cuts my list of parts needed to do the swap and restore the car down a lot, i am excited about everything i get to do to the celica, even though it will be time consuming.

playr will probably post too, i think he under estimated how stupid i was, but im learning! (i got the rear brakes off by myself untill i went to the bathroom and mark and daniel took over haha)
Defgeph
sweet man that car is getting the full treatment !
brianforster
haha yeah it is, new airbags, airbag ecu, front crash sensor, new front bumper, new engine/transmission, new dash, new door panels, new body wiring harness new engine wiring harness. adding power options where there previously were none, theres gonna be more of other celicas in my celi than my celica! new headlights too haha.

but, it will be worth it because of the transformation it will undergo, sure, it might ahve been easier and cheaper to buy a better shell, but i have to work with what i got, and its gonna clearly be better due to the effort put into it, in my opinion smile.gif

the ultimate transformation begins in 1 week smile.gif
playr158
mwahaha that was the 4th or 5th celica i've dismantled in about the last 4 months smile.gif it was a great day plus getting to meet 2 more 6gc members was a blast even i was able to bring home a part smile.gif

but oh man do we have freakin loads of work to do with rewiring your car
brianforster
since i have an ST now, this means i need to find a 3sgte or a 5sfe a/c condensor and ac lines, correct?
Dr_Tweak
QUOTE(brianforster @ Mar 11, 2006 - 8:08 AM) [snapback]405995[/snapback]

since i have an ST now, this means i need to find a 3sgte or a 5sfe a/c condensor and ac lines, correct?

Or you can have custom lines made at a shop for you, also the power steering lines need some work, and you'll need a resevoir, and a cooler if you want to run one.

-Doc
brianforster
QUOTE(Dr_Tweak @ Mar 12, 2006 - 12:15 PM) [snapback]406451[/snapback]

QUOTE(brianforster @ Mar 11, 2006 - 8:08 AM) [snapback]405995[/snapback]

Or you can have custom lines made at a shop for you, also the power steering lines need some work, and you'll need a resevoir, and a cooler if you want to run one.

-Doc

a resevoir and a cooler for the p/s? from a 5sfe or a 3sgte?
lagos
how long to you think your project will take? it seems like you have a TON of work ahead of you.
brianforster
QUOTE(lagos @ Mar 12, 2006 - 5:15 PM) [snapback]406477[/snapback]

how long to you think your project will take? it seems like you have a TON of work ahead of you.

im hoping to start the 18th and be done the 26th.

keep in mind that during those 9 days i will be doing nothing but working on this car (provided the sun is up, and if i can get lighting, then ill do it during the night to)

ill prolly be working on it a good 12 hours a day during that time, and ill have help from daniel (playr) and chucky (bojangles) and some other friends that arent 6gc guys, some things will happen at the same time (removal of engine and converting back brakes for instance, putting in new engine and working on airbags, etc.)

edit: this is why i ask so many questions about parts, i do not want to have to wait on anythign parts wise, so i spend a good 6 hours a day now reading, searching, buying stuff for the swap and restoration of my car, im confident i can finish it, it is a lot of work but i think i can do it)

certain things make my job easier, like the wiring harness being done already (which i found out was done by qatar) and pretty much everything being attatched to the engine (for instance, the serpentine belt is attatched and tight, so power steering and A/C are all still connected) even the motor mounts are on the engine (mark gave me almost everything).

certain tasks also go together, like replacing the airbags, well my life got easier since i bought marks dash + interior wiring harness, so i can repalce the passenger airbag while it is outside the car, remove my dash, and put marks on, viola i am now wired for all power options. i also bought marks doors and door panels, so theres another easy step, i will remove the power options pieces and put them onto my car.

i also have to change the front bumper and some headlights, but since i have to take the front bumper off to mount intercooler, thats no extra work either, see where im going with this?

basically i will be performing open heart surgery on this beast, but i do not feel overwhelmed, i have great friends and great sources of info and i think it is entirely realistic to have this car running that quickly.
lagos
i hate to give you a reality check, but unless youve done lots of swaps before, there is no way youll be done in just 9 days. back when i started my swap, i originally thought it would take me 2 weeks, and in reality it took 2 months, and i didnt have to redo the whole car from the ground up like you are doing. another thing is, that you dont want to rush anything during a project like this. now is the time to look over everything a tripple check that you did everything right, so that you dont have to pull the motor again.

working 12hr straight sounds like a good plan, in theory, but youll be dead tired after a few days and wont be able to continue that pace. also, unexpected things pop up when working on a car that will set you back longer then you thought sometimes.

dont get me wrong, you can totally swap a motor in a weekend, but only if you know what you are doing a head of time and have everything preped and ready to go before you start.
brianforster
QUOTE(lagos @ Mar 12, 2006 - 6:56 PM) [snapback]406514[/snapback]

i hate to give you a reality check, but unless youve done lots of swaps before, there is no way youll be done in just 9 days. back when i started my swap, i originally thought it would take me 2 weeks, and in reality it took 2 months, and i didnt have to redo the whole car from the ground up like you are doing. another thing is, that you dont want to rush anything during a project like this. now is the time to look over everything a tripple check that you did everything right, so that you dont have to pull the motor again.

working 12hr straight sounds like a good plan, in theory, but youll be dead tired after a few days and wont be able to continue that pace. also, unexpected things pop up when working on a car that will set you back longer then you thought sometimes.

dont get me wrong, you can totally swap a motor in a weekend, but only if you know what you are doing a head of time and have everything preped and ready to go before you start.

the thing is, my motor came out of a running, swapped, 6th gen celica, so i have an edge against most people here who have done swaps.

and to the "dead tired" thing after a few days, sure i will be, but it wont stop me, i am determined to finish this, and ive never been too tired to work on something that benefits me.

as far as the interior stuff goes, that can all be done while the motor swap is happening so i dont really add that to "time needed"

did you do the swap by yourself? because i will probably have atleast 2-4 people with me each day helping out on different sections of the car.

edit: i do understand unforseen consequences though, i just think ill be able to work around them, now, i could end up with my foot in mouth (seems like a trend lately) but as of now i think i (and the people helping me) have a very good shot at completing this car in this time frame.
playr158
art don't forget you also had to do wiring ect. and a few misc. things
this one has a lot of pre-prepared stuff already not to mention lots of documentation which also wasn't around back then....
but unless youve done lots of swaps before, there is no way youll be done in just 9 days.

and just cause he hasn't done one doens't mean that its impossible...

but the only way to find out is to try wink.gif
brianforster
ordered my muffler, cat, and flex pipe today off of ebay "performance-curve" was the ebay store, stuff looks pretty good. if it isnt, well, its gonna have to do for now! haha.

magnaflow SS muffler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

3" flex pipe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8044013480

3" high flow cat
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

total 166$ shipped.. not bad smile.gif
brianforster
going home thursday to begin everythign!

still have to figure out what im doing for:
p/s lines, a/c lines, windshield, and airbag sensors, other than that, im pretty done!

the workload is big, but daniel (playr158) and my other friends are convinced we can finish it all!

will keep everyone updated
easternpiro1
QUOTE(brianforster @ Mar 14, 2006 - 6:38 PM) [snapback]407618[/snapback]

going home thursday to begin everythign!

still have to figure out what im doing for:
p/s lines, a/c lines, windshield, and airbag sensors, other than that, im pretty done!

the workload is big, but daniel (playr158) and my other friends are convinced we can finish it all!

will keep everyone updated

BOY! i hope i can see this by the time i get up to va!!
DG_Performance
QUOTE(playr158 @ Mar 12, 2006 - 2:09 PM) [snapback]406572[/snapback]

this one has a lot of pre-prepared stuff already not to mention lots of documentation which also wasn't around back then....
but unless youve done lots of swaps before, there is no way youll be done in just 9 days.

I did Lago's harness for him....it was the first one i did for another member! And i think i only charged him 175 for it cause he was taking a chance with me possibly messing it up. I actually had one wire in his harness that i forgot to hook up.(the main power wire, haha) It took us like 2 days on the phone talking for hours tracking the problem down.
DG
playr158
LOL main power wire...smoooooth
lagos
QUOTE(DG_Performance @ Mar 16, 2006 - 11:05 AM) [snapback]408525[/snapback]

QUOTE(playr158 @ Mar 12, 2006 - 2:09 PM) [snapback]406572[/snapback]

I did Lago's harness for him....it was the first one i did for another member! And i think i only charged him 175 for it cause he was taking a chance with me possibly messing it up. I actually had one wire in his harness that i forgot to hook up.(the main power wire, haha) It took us like 2 days on the phone talking for hours tracking the problem down.
DG

yeah, those were good times...lol i got to learn all about my harness, tryring to track that damn wire down..lol
Dr_Tweak
I'm taking bets on the finishing time. I wager $5 it'll be 21 days.

-Doc
playr158
i'll take that 5$ in 9 days from today
hitcachi
lol, this board would feel so empty without Dan's shananagens! laugh.gif
brianforster
QUOTE(Dr_Tweak @ Mar 16, 2006 - 7:23 PM) [snapback]408631[/snapback]

I'm taking bets on the finishing time. I wager $5 it'll be 21 days.

-Doc

damn doc, i dont need you workin against me!
brianforster
got engine home today after much debate on where to mount the chain and some close calls (thankfully it was on grass)

entire engine is wrapped in a tarp (even underneath) and a tarp is over all parts outside in case of rain, i will get pictures soon of the swap area, the engine, all my misc parts, and of course the celi smile.gif
brianforster
pulled interior: seats, center console, shifter trim, and radio trim

brought them inside to scrub clean, they are cleaning up nicely!

carpet is in excellent condition, body of the car is pretty good too, its the definition of "needs a little tlc" but its coming along well.

hope to accomplish today taking off headlights, front bumper, fenders, and to move the car around back to prepare for pulling the engine which starts tomorrow.
brianforster
maybe less pics than id hoped, i did not have a camera today, will try to update tomorrow too.

what i accomplished toda (thanks for the help chucky!)

removed seats, door sills, door panels, glove box, gauge cluster, shifter trim, etc, basically stripped the interior except for steering wheel and dash in preparation for airbag + power windows/locks installation on monday.

removed front bumper, and all 4 headlights

today was mostly prepwork, tomorrow will be removal of 7afe.

BTW it RUNS! hahah, we jumped it and it ran, it shook and smoked violently but hey, it moved under its own power to the swap area. im not sure whats wrong with it, "blown head" seems to be the diagnosis.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.