Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy here... Looking at 94-99 Celica...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Sal329
Hell everyone. Been reading this forum for a little while and I started to liek the celica more and more. I need a car that will be reliable. I want a car with good gas mileage (24+) on highway and is fun to drive as well as looks good. So what is the difference in the GT and the other models? How are the celica's on the highway as far as ride? Do they have the passing power? What is the avg mpg? I am also looking at the 94-96 Prelude and 94-95 Nissan 200sx and se-r.

Thanks everyone
tomazws
My ST definitely has the being passed power.
j0e_p3t
laugh.gif
crismillencolin
I had a 96 prelude and now a 94 Celica gt both 2.0 16v units .
Perfromance from the honda was much better than the celica but the prelude looks kinda ugly unlike my shexxii celica biggrin.gif
Both had similar running costs and insurance - all down to your personal taste i guess .
celicarus
celicas look alot better than prelude and nissan 200sx unless you get the nissan a body kit - prelude looks weird even with body kits (like a box) - stick with the celica and become part of our community -
Rayme
the 5s-fe, (2.2 engine) has excellent passing power if you downshift in 3rd. Everybody that's in my car when I pass make the comment...but that's just them .lol.
Personaly I think its very descent smile.gif
Sal329
Whats the difference in ST, GT and anything else? I still do not know the engines, lots of letters and numbers. lol I am a mustang guy I know CI and liters. The 94-99 Celica is hot looking no doubt. What kinda gas milage are you seeing?
yyet
I got a GT and I get about 300 miles per fill up. Which translates roughly to somewhere like 20mpg. However, I do drive in stop go traffic every (and i mean every) day!!!. Hope that helps

Yet
celicaST
QUOTE(Sal329 @ Mar 23, 2006 - 6:25 PM) [snapback]412131[/snapback]

Whats the difference in ST, GT and anything else? I still do not know the engines, lots of letters and numbers. lol I am a mustang guy I know CI and liters. The 94-99 Celica is hot looking no doubt. What kinda gas milage are you seeing?

here you go GT/ST differences. id get the prelude if you want something quicker and easier to mod. however, you just cant go wrong with the 6g. much better looking in my opinion and its cool to have a car that a lot of people dont even know what it is biggrin.gif.
Sal329
With my new job being 40 miles away thats about 1900 miles a month so I need a car that will last me. And with gas bein crazy I would like a car good on gas. The travel will be highway. The prelude needs Premium gas so thats a negative.
NGHTKD
PERFORMANCE:I think the Celica should be your choice. Think of the Toyota genes when it comes to engine swaps, 3sgte. I think it would be cheaper, more reliable, more potential if you want more power out of your celica compared to a Prelude.
INSURANCE: probably lower cost compared to the others
RELIABLE, RELIABLE, RELIABLE; the celica 5sfe is basically what is found in the camry, enough said.
The 200sx is nice and all, but the insurance would be a killer!!!

Celica ST204 = JZA80 Supra-esque; Celica all the way.

Callum
celicaST
QUOTE(Sal329 @ Mar 23, 2006 - 6:38 PM) [snapback]412140[/snapback]

With my new job being 40 miles away thats about 1900 miles a month so I need a car that will last me. And with gas bein crazy I would like a car good on gas. The travel will be highway. The prelude needs Premium gas so thats a negative.

well theres plenty of 6g's on here over 200k. st's have pretty good mileage, i usually get anywhere from 26-28mpg (mostly city driving) with an auto.
Sal329
How is the auto trans in these cars? Motor swap? biggrin.gif I see another project like my stang. i have a 00 GT with an 01 Cobra motor all forged, stroked, bullitt proof trans, gear..... But yea so 26mpg with auto in city? wow, I would love that, you have an ST or GT? You guys are by far the best bunch on any forum I have ben on. Thanks once again.
JFrost9
I have an ST and im letting my mom take it to work right now cuz of the gas prices and distance and what not. She gets 400+ miles to a full tank on pretty much all highway roads. Its a manual though. Ours has 143k and is still running strong.
celicaST
QUOTE(Sal329 @ Mar 23, 2006 - 6:51 PM) [snapback]412148[/snapback]

How is the auto trans in these cars? Motor swap? biggrin.gif I see another project like my stang. i have a 00 GT with an 01 Cobra motor all forged, stroked, bullitt proof trans, gear..... But yea so 26mpg with auto in city? wow, I would love that, you have an ST or GT? You guys are by far the best bunch on any forum I have ben on. Thanks once again.

us 6g owners are just cool like that tongue.gif i have an ST with low miles and ive stripped some weight out of it so might be a factor. the auto trans is geared really well to take advantage of the 7afe's torque curve. i mean, for 105hp, it doesnt feel bad in 1st and 2nd, but 3rd and 4th are another story. but ya if you like projects, a 3sgte swap into a 6gc is relativeley straight forward and theres plenty of people on here who have done it and are more than willing to help out. a 6g with a 3sgte makes one heck of a sleeper.
Starcraftjunkie
If I recall correctly.. I remember seeing a pic on his site of the mileage sign on a new car.. I think it said 23 MPG city and 29 MPG highway.

I have a 95 GTS myself and from the last 6 months, I've gotten an average of 22.41 MPH city driving.. and this car is 11 years old. tongue.gif

Now, after a tuneup and general maintenance.. I'm hoping to hit an average of 25 in city.
Sal329
Thanks guys. So is there anything to look out for when gettin a 6g?
celicarus
QUOTE(Sal329 @ Mar 23, 2006 - 8:14 PM) [snapback]412167[/snapback]

Thanks guys. So is there anything to look out for when gettin a 6g?

signs of collision damage would be what i would check for -- just use your hands and knuckles to knock on the exteriror metal frame to hear for bondo cover up -- hearing metal bang would be different when hearing bondo --

i have a 96 gt auto - 208XXX miles - never had major problems -- very reliable car on a full tank i get 300+ miles - i make about a 750 mile trip one way about once a month - and only need to fill up twice with about 1/4 tank left before i reach my destination -- haven't done a good tune up - so my mileage should be higher than what i am currently getting
Starcraftjunkie
look under the hook to see the broken lowbeam bracket. wink.gif It's o so common tongue.gif
CelicaZR
Welcome smile.gif
Good luck with your search for a Celica.
You'll love it biggrin.gif
95CelicaST
I have a little over 100K on my 95 ST and I am seeing about 32MPG mixed highway and city driving.

If and when you go looking, check the body seam inside the door jamb area. If the seam is broken then move on to another. Look into the basics like leaking/burning oil, all power options are in working order, interior is in good shape, how many owners, blah blah blah.

If you get a GT then a 3S-GTE(MR-2 or GT4 engine) would be a lot easier to do. You can use the same motor mounts (if desired).

If you get an ST then you can swap a 4A-GE (Corolla levin) or 4A-GZE (MKI MR-2 Supercharged) and use your motor mounts and trans and all that junk.

Good luck on finding one.
pandakid
th pralude and 240 are way faster cars.but IMO i think the celica is a nicer car. i turn head and my car is stock no one really has one in my town. the celica are slower. but i love it like a champ smile.gif biggrin.gif
Sal329
Speed is not important, if I want fast I will take out the stang. I want a car with good looks, gas mileage and reliable. The more I look at it the celica is beautiful. The Preulde has the fun factor it seems, the 200se-r has the pep. The celica seems to have a lil of both and the looks as well. Just as longs as I am on the highway and need to pass someone the car goes and doesnt just sit there that would be fine with me. Until I get the mod bug and start doing things and then before I know it I will have a new motor in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.