Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trashed a vette
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ScoobyDooCruiser
On my way to the airport a few weeks ago, I had the chance to race a corvette, it looked like it was from the 80's, one of the ones without the pretty lines. We pulled up to a stoplight, and since she had been driving like a maniac before, I thought it might be fun to race, and get beaten, by her.

When the light changed, I floored the thing, dumped the clutch, and took off. I was sure she would beat me, I've just got a stock GT. Somehow, I was able to keep ahead of her. What is up with this? Don't those things have massive engines?

Anyways, the highway we were on stays clear, and it was early morning, so there was no traffic. The GT's top out at about 125mph or so (at least mine), so she was finally able to pass me once I hit my top speed. Shouldn't she have beaten me long before that though? She was trying too, I could tell, but I know my car ain't that fast. Anyways. Just kinda rambling. This ain't supposed to happen tho, is it?
Inferno
Maybe hers was automatic. Just a guess.
Milds3vn
Those 1980's Vettes i think have a lil over 200 horsepower for most of them. I saw something about the history of them and they ate it when emissions got real tight in the 1980's. GM didn't do anything to keep up performance and still meet regulations so the power just got cut down. Barbie cars...
Phr0z3n664
sorry to tell you but the vettes in the 80's were slow as ****... If you want to race a vette go after 67-69 stingrays, or 1997-up c5's and Z06's
ScoobyDooCruiser
QUOTE (Phr0z3n664 @ Jun 2, 2003 - 5:31 PM)
sorry to tell you but the vettes in the 80's were slow as ****... If you want to race a vette go after 67-69 stingrays, or 1997-up c5's and Z06's

well, it was good for the ego temporarily. At least I can say I beat a vette.
Matthew
i was beaten by a vette

well her name was evette wink.gif
HyperDeathKill
Automatic isn't going to make THAT HUGE of a difference on the drag stip if you're racing a newer vette.
Matthew
that wasnt on the drag strip

it was the highway

and honestly i could give a FOOK less about a drag strip. i mean damn like its that hard. i would say the hardest thing about drag racing is getting out of the box perfectly.
HyperDeathKill
Well, I wasn't aware that you considered the drag stip, and a highway with a light so different.
Jason
Ok, the most annoying thing around is when people say a car is slow because of it being automatic.

1) An automatic car can redline the gears (by going through them manually), whats the difference?
2) The top 3 fastest street legal cars are all Turbocharged 7-8 second automatics.
3) I prefer automatic over stick because you don't have to worry about ****ing a clutch or any part of the transmission as much.
boosted_K2
the 80s vettes are sh!t, too much emissions crap and no muscle to compinsate.

oh and jason, thats bullsh!t cuz the top 3 street legals are not sold in ATs. enzo, murecialigo (cant spell it), and that bugatti. and all are 6 speed MTs.

oh and also ask anyone who redlines their gears "manually" and ask how trashed their transmission gets. and ya you should worry about your transmission if you "manually" shift an AT. clutchs are much easier and much cheaper to replace than your entire AT transmission rolleyes.gif
97sccelica
at most an auto tranny makes the car 1/2 a second slower. its not that big of a difference and once your moving it doesnt make much of a difference at all. there is no chance of miss shifting and just floor it as the light turns green.

but i do under stand that driving a manual takes more skill and has some advantages. plus its more fun! biggrin.gif
boosted_K2
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Jun 2, 2003 - 11:13 PM)
at most an auto tranny makes the car 1/2 a second slower. its not that big of a difference and once your moving it doesnt make much of a difference at all. there is no chance of miss shifting and just floor it as the light turns green.

but i do under stand that driving a manual takes more skill and has some advantages. plus its more fun! biggrin.gif

yea, well the point hes trying to make is in most TT apps having an AT will help to elimate the boost drop and respooling needed when shifting gears. but none of us here are driving twin turbos so i fail to see his point.
No0bOne
QUOTE (K2_Celica @ Jun 2, 2003 - 9:18 PM)
at most an auto tranny makes the car 1/2 a second slower.  its not that big of a difference and once your moving it doesnt make much of a difference at all.  there is no chance of miss shifting and just floor it as the light turns green.

but i do under stand that driving a manual takes more skill and has some advantages.  plus its more fun! biggrin.gif

yea, well the point hes trying to make is in most TT apps having an AT will help to elimate the boost drop and respooling needed when shifting gears. but none of us here are driving twin turbos so i fail to see his point.

From a complete stop an AT will tear up any stickshift car from 1-2-maybe 3rd gear. From a roll it doesn't actually make the car 1/2 slower, if going about 20mph..drop to 2 and go up to D and feel your car pull very hard.
boosted_K2
QUOTE (No0bOne @ Jun 2, 2003 - 11:34 PM)
at most an auto tranny makes the car 1/2 a second slower.  its not that big of a difference and once your moving it doesnt make much of a difference at all.  there is no chance of miss shifting and just floor it as the light turns green.

but i do under stand that driving a manual takes more skill and has some advantages.  plus its more fun! biggrin.gif

From a complete stop an AT will tear up any stickshift car from 1-2-maybe 3rd gear. From a roll it doesn't actually make the car 1/2 slower, if going about 20mph..drop to 2 and go up to D and feel your car pull very hard.

bull****. if a person can properly drive a stickshift it doesnt lag when stepping on the gas like an AT does, AT trans slip momentarily while a good 5-spd driver transfers the power with out lagging, unless the driver is worthless and boggs the car. you can also stage a MT, staging an AT is worthless because neutral slamming really damages the tranny and you still will lag.

and you are still thrashing the tranny by dropping into 2nd then throwing it into drive. with a MT you can control how much force is excerted onto the trans by how fast/slow you drop the clutch, not to mention rev-matching takes alot of strain off the trans. you cant do either of those in an AT, hell, if anyone didnt do either of those in an MT theyd be replacing syncros like crazy.
XE_Nathaniel

Who said none of us here drive TT's biggrin.gif

-Nate
XE_Nathaniel
Oh yea screw auto and manual.....all about Sequential WOOT* LOL

-Nate biggrin.gif
97sccelica
bull****. if a person can properly drive a stickshift it doesnt lag when stepping on the gas like an AT does, AT trans slip momentarily while a good 5-spd driver transfers the power with out lagging, unless the driver is worthless and boggs the car. you can also stage a MT, staging an AT is worthless because neutral slamming really damages the tranny and you still will lag.

and you are still thrashing the tranny by dropping into 2nd then throwing it into drive. with a MT you can control how much force is excerted onto the trans by how fast/slow you drop the clutch, not to mention rev-matching takes alot of strain off the trans. you cant do either of those in an AT, hell, if anyone didnt do either of those in an MT theyd be replacing syncros like crazy.

yea, i agree with that, unless the auto tranny is built to be shifted on command. but the lag isnt that bad, a shift kit and performance torque converter will get rid of any lag in an auto tranny(well, most of it anyway, the tranny still isnt directly connected to the engine)
boosted_K2
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Jun 3, 2003 - 12:42 AM)

yea, i agree with that, unless the auto tranny is built to be shifted on command. but the lag isnt that bad, a shift kit and performance torque converter will get rid of any lag in an auto tranny(well, most of it anyway, the tranny still isnt directly connected to the engine)

yes but for every dollar some1 spends on putting money into an AT like that, you can buy A/M slave cylinders and street/racing clutchs for the MT, it all evens out, with the MT ahead untill you get into boosting and turbo spool.

which even then, its possable to keep a turbo spooled with a MT, just slam shift, dont take your foot off the gas, it holds the boost up, but i wouldnt recommend it b/c you do countless damage to the trans, axles, clutch and everything inbetween
97sccelica
QUOTE (K2_Celica @ Jun 2, 2003 - 10:44 PM)

yes but for every dollar some1 spends on putting money into an AT like that, you can buy A/M slave cylinders and street/racing clutchs for the MT, it all evens out, with the MT ahead untill you get into boosting and turbo spool.

which even then, its possable to keep a turbo spooled with a MT, just slam shift, dont take your foot off the gas, it holds the boost up, but i wouldnt recommend it b/c you do countless damage to the trans, axles, clutch and everything inbetween

kinda like dropping an auto tranny into 2, lol
boosted_K2
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Jun 3, 2003 - 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (K2_Celica @ Jun 2, 2003 - 10:44 PM)

kinda like dropping an auto tranny into 2, lol

hahaha very similar, only more parts to get Fed over. (i think this is becoming one of the longest quoting a quote posts ever biggrin.gif )
Komlofske
I have a GT AT and when I floor it, it is very quick in the shifting department. Once it Redlines BAM!! it shifts. Also... to downshift witha push of a button can't be beat. I love it and so far, no manual has been able to use that advantage against me, not yet anyway.
Inferno
Well, it seems you totally overshot my complete point. First off, it wasn't the drag-strip, as stated before. Secondly, it wasn't even a 90's model Corvette, as stated before. Thirdly, I didn't say jack about turbos. However, my point is that most manuals will shift faster, not to mention his vehicle is newer and (let's just say it) most likely more technologically advanced.
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Inferno @ Jun 3, 2003 - 2:52 PM)
Well, it seems you totally overshot my complete point. First off, it wasn't the drag-strip, as stated before. Secondly, it wasn't even a 90's model Corvette, as stated before. Thirdly, I didn't say jack about turbos. However, my point is that most manuals will shift faster, not to mention his vehicle is newer and (let's just say it) most likely more technologically advanced.

your only point was "maybe hers was an auto" if you dont want to have someone take it the wrong way you should probably elaborate more. and besides it turned into a good way for people to learn some things about auto VS manual transmissions, obviously some people need to learn some more still.
Jason
oh and jason, thats bullsh!t cuz the top 3 street legals are not sold in ATs. enzo, murecialigo (cant spell it), and that bugatti. and all are 6 speed MTs

Ok. The fastest street legal car as of now is a 7.1 second Supra. That specific Supra is an Automatic. The second fastest street legal car is a 7.21 second Nissan Skyline, it is a swapped Automatic. The 3rd fastest street legal car is a 7.211 996 Porcshe Turbo which is also a swapped Automatic.

TYVM.. gg.
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 3, 2003 - 9:25 PM)
oh and jason, thats bullsh!t cuz the top 3 street legals are not sold in ATs. enzo, murecialigo (cant spell it), and that bugatti. and all are 6 speed MTs

Ok. The fastest street legal car as of now is a 7.1 second Supra. That specific Supra is an Automatic. The second fastest street legal car is a 7.21 second Nissan Skyline, it is a swapped Automatic. The 3rd fastest street legal car is a 7.211 996 Porcshe Turbo which is also a swapped Automatic.

TYVM.. gg.

can we see the article(s) you got that from? its not that im doubting you, i do know the fastest cars all do eventually need to be converted to autos... i would just really like to read the article. and also as i stated before each one is twin turboed.

my apologies about the street legal thing originally i thought you said stock street legals, but then i read 7 seconds and that that isnt right... my bad, but that still doesnt prove your point.
FallenHero
OOOK.

On an automatic transmission (which I have) a neutral drop is pure stupid! Just power brake it a little (2500k) and you're good.

My first car was a 1986 corvette. It had about 225hp and 330 Ft-lbs of torque. Now, when I wanted to play, I could burn the tires for about 16-20 feet... no kidding. Once I was honestly going 45mph and Floored it and the rear end cut loose and I was all over the road. Point is, after 1984, the vette would run high 13's to low 14's. You see, it cost almost 30000 new, so it had to have power. The engine that bashed the vett's name was the 'crossfire' from 78-84,, or was the 8 a L-70 something... Pont is the L-88 was a great engine which was the mainstay of GM until the LT-1 came out. If you beat that car, it had some serious problems.

Jon
Jason
The article is in the last October Issue of "Turbo & High-Tech Performance".
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 4, 2003 - 7:30 AM)
The article is in the last October Issue of "Turbo & High-Tech Performance".

cool thanks
jumpinccv

This might help......

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $23,360
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 51,547
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3088
ENGINE DATA
Displacement- 350 cubic inch V-8
Compression Ratio- 9 to 1
Horsepower- 205
Torque lbs-ft- 290
Fuel Injection- Crossfire
TRANSMISSION- 4+3 speed manual standard. 4 speed automatic
available at no cost.

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $24,873
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 39,729
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3088
ENGINE DATA
Compression Ratio- 9 to 1
Horsepower- 230
Torque lbs-ft- 330
Fuel Injection- Tuned Port

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $27,207 (coupe) $32,032 (convertible)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 39,729 (27,794 coupes) (7315 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3086
ENGINE DATA
Compression Ratio- 9.5 to 1
Horsepower- 230
Torque lbs-ft- 330

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $27,999 (coupe) $33,172 (convertible)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 30,632 (20,007 coupes) (10,625 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3098
ENGINE DATA
Horsepower- 240
Torque lbs-ft- 340
available at no cost.

FACTORY BASE PRICE- 29,489 (coupe) 34,820 (convertible)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 22,789 (15,832 coupes) (7407 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3157
ENGINE DATA
Horsepower- 245
Torque lbs-ft- 345
available at no cost.

FACTORY BASE PRICE- n/a (coupe) n/a (convertible)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 30,632 (20,007 coupes) (10,625 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3120
ENGINE DATA
Horsepower- 245
Torque lbs-ft- 345
TRANSMISSION- 6 speed manual, 4 speed automatic available at

FACTORY BASE PRICE- 31,979 (coupe) 37,264 (convertible) $59,495 (ZR1)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 23,646 (16,016 coupes) (7630 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3120, 3470 ZR1
ENGINE DATA
Horsepower- 245, 250, (375 ZR1) optional
Torque lbs-ft- 345, 350, (370 ZR1) optional
TRANSMISSION- 6 speed manual, 4 speed automatic available at no cost.

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $31,979 (coupe) $37,264 (convertible) $65,318 (ZR1)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 20,639 (14,967 coupes including 2044 ZR1's)
(5672 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3120, 3470 ZR1
ENGINE DATA
Horsepower- 245, 250, (375 ZR1) optional
Torque lbs-ft- 345, 350, (370 ZR1) optional

FACTORY BASE PRICE- $33,635 (coupe) $40,145 (convertible) $65,318 (ZR1)
PRODUCTION TOTAL- 20,479 (14,604 coupes including 502 ZR1's)
(5875 convertibles)
CURB WEIGHT lbs- 3223, 3470 ZR1
ENGINE DATA
Compression Ratio- 10.2 to 1
Horsepower- 300, (375 ZR1) optional
Torque lbs-ft- 330 (370 ZR1) optional
Fuel Injection- Multi-port

Most likely it was an '84....however my dad has a '85 and I know what you're talking about when you say its slow. It would seem that going from 135 (celi) to 230 (vette) would be a huge difference. However it isn't. For some reason it doesn't seem to go. Anyway...I listed all the eighties. There was no '83..(well there was but there is only one left driving) and the 82, 81, 80 were all the C3s. Different body style. I just listed the 90, 91 ,92 to complete the C4 generation. Who knows though...she might have not really been trying..or something could have been wrong with the car...and hell you could have just beat it...anyway hope this shines some light on the discussion.
ScoobyDooCruiser
Sweet thanks. I'll just tell people I beat a vette, I won't tell them the year! wink.gif

Thanks for the help everyone!
FallenHero
Also, on mine it was rev-governed at 2500 rpms until it got up to 200 degrees with the engine. Maybe it was cold. And my 86 scared the hell out of me as far as speed goes.

Jon
prepcelica
I guess a lot of peeps here are pretty right about the vettes from the 80's. I used to have this neighbor who'selling me his 86 vette for just $800 and its very clean and well kept. His main reason for selling it cheap is because it doesn't have that much power compared to other vettes according to him. He even got his ass whopped by 6 cyl mustangs and Rs Camaros. He had high expectations when he first bought it from a used car lot. After a week, he brought it to his friend who is a mechanic and had it tuned up and replaced everything that needs to be replaced. Even put an after market and performance parts for it. When the 2000 vettes came out on the market, one of his friends purchased one, since he is interested on buying one for him self he went out with him one Saturday eve to cruise, On their way to the club on the expressway they decided to pick on an IS300 heading on their direction. He told me that as soon that the IS300 found out that they were trying to race him, the driver I guess just flooored it and smoked their asses. They were trying to catch up he said but the IS300 is long gone. He concluded that time that he'd rather stick with a Japanese car. biggrin.gif
BlackandTAN
QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 2, 2003 - 8:22 PM)

3) I prefer automatic over stick because you don't have to worry about ****ing a clutch or any part of the transmission as much.

do you just not want to worry about a clutch, because you can't handle a clutch ?...most people that drive sticks, drive them because... 1. YOU ARE IN CONTROLL
2. YOU TELL THE CAR WHAT TO DO
3. THEY ARE JUST TO DAMN FUN
4. IT MAKES RACING EASIER and INTRESTING
(how?)....well with an automatic you can't slow for a corner and then punch it and expect INSTANT power.. but wiht a standard you can, you slow, clutch, shift and punch it, BAM power on tap !...you just don't have that with an automatic.

thats how I feel on the subject wink.gif
BlackandTAN
QUOTE (Komlofske @ Jun 3, 2003 - 2:10 AM)
I have a GT AT and when I floor it, it is very quick in the shifting department. Once it Redlines BAM!! it shifts. Also... to downshift witha push of a button can't be beat. I love it and so far, no manual has been able to use that advantage against me, not yet anyway.

quit racing metros and race real cars, my car smokes auto celicas, sixth gen's 7th gens, its not a MONSTER SPEED DEMON, but it has it moments.....but like all cars they have there weak points like when im racing my friend who has a VR-4 galant, when we race he kills me because my gears are all short compared to his, so i loose, but i can win if i catch him at a bad spot like third.. its just that every car has a strong and weak points.
97sccelica
QUOTE (BlackandTAN @ Jun 17, 2003 - 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 2, 2003 - 8:22 PM)

3)  I prefer automatic over stick because you don't have to worry about ****ing a clutch or any part of the transmission as much.

do you just not want to worry about a clutch, because you can't handle a clutch ?...most people that drive sticks, drive them because... 1. YOU ARE IN CONTROLL
2. YOU TELL THE CAR WHAT TO DO
3. THEY ARE JUST TO DAMN FUN
4. IT MAKES RACING EASIER and INTRESTING
(how?)....well with an automatic you can't slow for a corner and then punch it and expect INSTANT power.. but wiht a standard you can, you slow, clutch, shift and punch it, BAM power on tap !...you just don't have that with an automatic.

thats how I feel on the subject wink.gif

and in the time you took to shift while turning, someone in an auto will have already mashed the throttle, and the tranny would have gone into the appropriat gear and the power would be on just as fast.

you may not have the same control as with 5spd, but if you understand how your tranny works, you can work around the disadvantages. i like the fact that i can concentrate on making the turn, instead of shifting as im turning, watching my speed and clearances and not turning too hard and losing control.

its all about personal preference, when im driving a 5spd, i tend to go into a turn in 2nd and shift after comming out.
HyperDeathKill
Nah, for rally, or autocross you REALLY want a manual like BlackandTan says. But for drag, auto is just as good, and sometimes better. Depends on what your game is.
7aek
first being fast on the drag doesnt necessarily mean it's fast all over. make dat **** race rally and it wont b able to handle it. less wif an auto trans. about auto's being fast on corners????? give me a break. downshift wif a manual (real downshift, not the ****ty i step on the break, slow down, step on the clutch, go down on gear and step on the gas ****) and turning a corner cant get any faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.