Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: twin turbo????
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
celiman05
just a really crazy idea i thought up. would it be possible to twin turbo a 3sgte? could use the setup from a TT supra maybe. what do you think would be involved in trying this?

bloodrain
well guess i might as well be the first to say it. Anything is possible with enough money. Is it smart, probably not, best bet probably would be to upgrade the turbo.
scothaniel
completely pointless
celiman05
why would that be pointless?
celicaGT96
most twin turbo supra guys get way better results swapping over to a really good single turbo rather a twin setup
tigernate29
Not to jack the topic with something non-celica, but did anyone see the article in the FEB. 2006 Modified Magazine of the twin turbo Ford Focus. 2.3L Duratec I4 engine making an estimated 350-400 hp. It may be worth a shot to try a 3s-gtte. It would be something that no-one else has. Good luck.
Valo666
TT 4cylinder is pointless IMO. the SRT forums have a TT. They are using 2 diff sized turbos..1 smaller one to spool up quickly for the lower RPMs and a bigger one to spool up at higher rpms. to me, waste of time and money..use the same amount of $ to build up a powerful 3sgte.

also, no you couldnt use a supra TT setup. The supra TT has a line6 manifold with 1 turbo at each end. IE 3cylinders per turbo. If your goin 2 go with a TT 4banger..ur gonna have 2 make the manifold the same way..2 cylinders per turbo..but that also means ur probably gonna get some bag lag due to valve overlaps.
celiracer
Agreed. TT is pointless. Usually people with a twin turbo'd car upgrades to a single turbo. And get way better results.
celicaGT96
^ i saw that s**t, that damn focus was crazy!
anubis0108
ya i twin turbo setup is really absolete. TT's were a ood idea bac in the 90's but todays turbos are good enough that you wouldnt need 2 turbos to spool for higher and lower rpm's. yea its true most guys who have a supra ditch the setup for a single better turbo. to me TT setups are a bit out of date, but if ya go the money to spend thousands of dollars on two turbos by all means do what your hearts desire
lilsteeg
TT setups are good, on v6 engines or v8's, on an I4 no, and yess the supras with the single turbo are a hella lot faster than TT supras
CilverSeliST205
I have to disagree with you guys.. Toyota did build a dual-stage turbocharger that bolted onto ONE manifold. In that set up the smaller turbo spooled up quick to give you a kick in low rpms, when the small turbo boosted to its reasonable efficiency limits, flapper valve would set off the bigger turbo.

Single turbo setup better? if you can have a spool-up of ct20b with max output of GT3040? nah!

only downside of such twin setup is its price ($$$$$$$$$$)

and BTW on 3sgte 2 manifolds for twin-turbo is a poor idea

and i suspect that the reason why people with supras get bigger # with single is because they replace factory TT with single turbo unlike people who push factory TT to its limits, now if someone has enough $$ to waste for 1000 rpm earlier spoolup and upgrade to aftermarket TT they would get better results than single turbo setup (its just not money efficient upgrade)
playr158
ditch the twin turbo and go Twin charged......its been done before pretty smart idea too only needs one exhaust manifold...

supercharge and turbo all in one smile.gif
celiman05
ya that would be SICK!!! im just getting some new ideas for my next project. thanks for that one. biggrin.gif
Jen
QUOTE(playr158 @ Apr 8, 2006 - 5:45 PM) [snapback]419225[/snapback]

ditch the twin turbo and go Twin charged......its been done before pretty smart idea too only needs one exhaust manifold...

supercharge and turbo all in one smile.gif

You beat me to it. Something like that would be hot.
burneeed
That would be fun... thats kind of like the supercharged sti... that thing was nasty.... get a blower and a turbo that kicks in around 4 grand biggrin.gif
gamesteristj
A guy in spokane has a twin turbo mr2. It's my boss's friends.
lilsteeg
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ Apr 7, 2006 - 6:08 PM) [snapback]418933[/snapback]

I have to disagree with you guys.. Toyota did build a dual-stage turbocharger that bolted onto ONE manifold. In that set up the smaller turbo spooled up quick to give you a kick in low rpms, when the small turbo boosted to its reasonable efficiency limits, flapper valve would set off the bigger turbo.

Single turbo setup better? if you can have a spool-up of ct20b with max output of GT3040? nah!

only downside of such twin setup is its price ($$$$$$$$$$)

and BTW on 3sgte 2 manifolds for twin-turbo is a poor idea

and i suspect that the reason why people with supras get bigger # with single is because they replace factory TT with single turbo unlike people who push factory TT to its limits, now if someone has enough $$ to waste for 1000 rpm earlier spoolup and upgrade to aftermarket TT they would get better results than single turbo setup (its just not money efficient upgrade)

there is no more need for a TT setup due to the new variable geometry turbos, in essence the turbo is smaller at low rpms, then opens up more at higher rpms to allow for more boost, so the TT setup is now outdated on an I6 due to that, and the price
bloodrain
the ONLY advantage of having a TT setup is... it sounds more aggresive. "My 500 horsepower, twin turbo pinto" vs. "My 500 horsepower turboed pinto."

Pinto Fo Lyfe.
playr158
the advantages are i could run a larger turbo for good top end but have a supercharger with a small boost level say like 8psi to spool up my larger one off the line the benefits are amazing....
scothaniel
Twin charger setups were attempted by a number of 1st gen MR2 owners. Most complained of the extra complexity caused more trouble then benifit. Of course that was almost 20 years ago.

If you want a huge turbo to give you that massive top end, and something for that low end quickness then get nos - the quicker spooler upper!
celiman05
yeah i guess NOS would work wonders for that.
playr158
ok #1) its not NOS thats a brand....its called nitrous...
its complicated, it takes time and effort and of course money...its in the long run CHEAPER then filling up a dumb bottle 100 times over in a season...its ALWAYS on and probably less stress on the motor...

think outside drag racing for a moment....like road coarse..how long do you think a bottle of nitrous is going to last you?
Cutrara
QUOTE(playr158 @ Apr 9, 2006 - 8:16 PM) [snapback]419525[/snapback]

its complicated, it takes time and effort and of course money...its in the long run CHEAPER then filling up a dumb bottle 100 times over in a season...its ALWAYS on and probably less stress on the motor...

think outside drag racing for a moment....like road coarse..how long do you think a bottle of nitrous is going to last you?

QFT
scothaniel

And yet, when I say NOS everyone knows what I'm talking about.

These people talking about twin turbos / twin charging a motor - very complicated and very expensive. For twin turbo you have a custom manifold, exhaust, intercooler system, full EMS and a ton of R&D time to find complementing turbo's and get them working together. For a twin charger you have a supercharger (obviously), full ems, and properly sized turbo. Not cheap, not easy.
playr158
These people talking about twin turbos / twin charging a motor - very complicated and very expensive. For twin turbo you have a custom manifold, exhaust, intercooler system, full EMS and a ton of R&D time to find complementing turbo's and get them working together. For a twin charger you have a supercharger (obviously), full ems, and properly sized turbo. Not cheap, not easy.

thats wat i said.....its not easy..its not supposed to be...read my words
its complicated, it takes time and effort and of course money

thats not wat i was talking about...my point was the a twin charged operation is more feasable for say a road coarse, street car......where as a larger turbo that used nitrous would be more suitable for the drag strip 2 applications 2 different purposes....

you have to think about aspects of each side
1)nitrous is sharp, short lived, not usable over any period longer then a few seconds, bottle life/time, filling expenses, damage replacement costs

2) twin charging, standalone, fuel, manifolds...more stable over longer durations,

each has its own place and each has pros and cons....i was simply stateing to think beyond drag(spooling with nitrous) to the other arenas of motorsports...
example....i've seen a supra that used a 100 sumthing shot of nitrous to spool his larger bird eater turbo....but it was only good for a straight line...he would be up the creek w/o a paddle on any other course...
anubis0108
QUOTE(bloodrain @ Apr 9, 2006 - 8:24 AM) [snapback]419389[/snapback]

the ONLY advantage of having a TT setup is... it sounds more aggresive. "My 500 horsepower, twin turbo pinto" vs. "My 500 horsepower turboed pinto."

Pinto Fo Lyfe.

ha ha thatz tight. 500 hp pinto. all i would say is woah **** if i saw one roll by
Kadett
Volkwagens New Golf, gonna be released in the US as the new Rabbit. Has a Super and turbo charged eninge. Called the Golf TSI GT

Its a 1.4L with 170 bhp.

The Supercharger is used untill 2900-3000 RPM then the turbo kicks in to 6000 RPM.

With a heavier car then mine. Its faster of the line frown.gif (but not for long biggrin.gif )
95celgt
......somebody use the 3rd gen RX7's sequential twin setup please!:P
GMan
Sequential not possible. Twins possible.

http://www.madpsi.net/ProjectMR2.htm

I hear the kit is not longer available though. kindasad.gif

Regards;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.