Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smog/emissions expert needed
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
urbandork
Ok i have a 5sfte and i was told that if i were to just put on the stock cats and mufflers on to the turbo downpipe, which already has a cat on it, that i should pass smog. Assuming visual part is over looked.

these are the reason behind the thinking
1. just as long as the turbo isnt spooled up to high boost levels the 5sfte should run much like a 5sfe. From what ive heard when they smog the car they arent gunning it and thus my turbo shouldnt be putting to much pressure into the engine. If n e thing i can just discconect the wastegate from the accuator and prop the wastegate open thus not creating boost.
2. with the stock cats on it it should burn up what ever needs to be burnt up much like when the engine is stock.
3. with the safcII im able to keep the a/f ratio during non boost periods at about 13 to 15 to one. This compaired to the richer a/f of the stock fuel map. thus the larger injectors and fuel pump shouldnt matter.
4. If i take it to an asian/gehto place they should just over look the intercooler pipes and stuff. Everything else under the hood like the msd ignition is carb certified and thus smog legal.
5. worse comes to worse all i needed is another cat to be put somewhere in the piping.

what do you smog/emission experts think?????

LewFX
take it to chanhs hookup and they will pass u.
XS4lv1Truch0x
lol he is trying to pass smog legally, lol go to los angeles, i think they wont care since the air is pretty crappy anyways

but yea, i guess if all else fails there's chanhs hookup

urbandork
QUOTE(LewFX @ Apr 9, 2006 - 4:37 AM) [snapback]419320[/snapback]

take it to chanhs hookup and they will pass u.

didnt come through cus they dont do it n e more.

XS4lv1Truch0x
lol well here's directions for a for sure pass on smog

1. get a briefcase

2. do wut they do in the movies, put alot of money in it

3. well you catch my drift

but yea, hope all goes well and you dont have to do much
Bitter
set the boost to zero and adjust the fuel managment accordingly.
urbandork
after reading up on how cats work here

http://www.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

i think it will work.

I have a better understanding on how the a/f ratio works with emissions and the control of it. as well as to what a cat actually does and how it works

Having a wide band o2 sensor in my car already, i have tuned my car so that way when the engine isnt running under pressure, like when its NA, the a/f is around 14 to 15 to 1 or so. Being able to do this along with having two cats on, one on the DP and the second from the original NA system should mean that i should be able to pass the emmisions part of the test, assuming that the person doing the test doesnt spool up the turbo.

Another point that came to me as i was drooling on a pillow, was that with the smaller stock exhaust piping being 2" the turbo shouldnt spool up as fast as it doesnt with the bigger pipping on it now.

I think im guna try it legal first. worse comes to worse ill be out the money spent on mating the stock extuast system to the 3s DP and the money spent on the smog. Then i guess it will be time to load up that breifcase.
Chanh55
Hey Craig, I forgot about my other hookup... it's family. I'll try to see if he can hook you up.
Hanyo
why not disconnect the intercooler piping and throw on a short ram intake. This way it will be a real N/a and you never have to worry about spooling.

If you manage to pass this legally, please tell us i am very interested.
urbandork
QUOTE(Hanyo @ Apr 9, 2006 - 7:13 AM) [snapback]419361[/snapback]

why not disconnect the intercooler piping and throw on a short ram intake. This way it will be a real N/a and you never have to worry about spooling.

If you manage to pass this legally, please tell us i am very interested.

i had thought about doing that but how would that affect the turbo? would that be bad for it??? i guess not tho huu? id just have it blowing out air.

QUOTE(Chanh55 @ Apr 9, 2006 - 6:52 AM) [snapback]419360[/snapback]

Hey Craig, I forgot about my other hookup... it's family. I'll try to see if he can hook you up.

its up to you but personally id feel bad if something bad happened u know? cus its family man.
Chanh55
Nah, he owns a garage... let me talk to him... I'm not sure when I will see him but I'll try to talk to him asap. In the mean time... dont' wait on me. It'll be your last resort.
presure2
doesnt cali law state that any mod that is not carb legal, is illegal?
that would make the whole turbo setup have to come out to pass.
if not, 2 good cats and them staying off boost, and you should have no problems passing.
urbandork
QUOTE(presure2 @ Apr 9, 2006 - 12:52 PM) [snapback]419386[/snapback]

doesnt cali law state that any mod that is not carb legal, is illegal?
that would make the whole turbo setup have to come out to pass.
if not, 2 good cats and them staying off boost, and you should have no problems passing.

yeah i figure if i go t a place that doesnt really car about the visual stuff. I know a few places that a cheap and ghetto and the only thing they really car about is the emmissions results.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.