Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do you pass smog in cali
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
pandakid
for those with 3s swap that live in cali how did you guys pass smog?
ZacMan1987
Find a tiny, seedy shop in the middle of the most ghetto section of town and pay someone to pass you.
tcox22
QUOTE(ZacMan1987 @ Apr 16, 2006 - 5:06 PM) [snapback]422254[/snapback]

Find a tiny, seedy shop in the middle of the most ghetto section of town and pay someone to pass you.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
pandakid
lol well besides that tongue.gif .any other way?
hitcachi
Man i love nebraska, no body cares about that crap. Cops dont haggle you about cat's or smog just dumb crap like tint and front license plates.
LewFX
take it to chanhs cousins smog place
snapshotgt
QUOTE(tcox22 @ Apr 16, 2006 - 8:08 PM) [snapback]422299[/snapback]

QUOTE(ZacMan1987 @ Apr 16, 2006 - 5:06 PM) [snapback]422254[/snapback]

phattyduck
QUOTE(snapshotgt @ Apr 17, 2006 - 2:16 PM) [snapback]422632[/snapback]

Its not funny, its expensive... you gotta pay to play though...

-Charlie
CelicaST202
QUOTE(phattyduck @ Apr 17, 2006 - 5:40 PM) [snapback]422652[/snapback]

-Charlie

werd
pandakid
how much is the pay? kindasad.gif
snapshotgt
QUOTE(phattyduck @ Apr 17, 2006 - 5:40 PM) [snapback]422652[/snapback]

-Charlie

That is retarded. There has gotta be a way to make everything legal.

~snap
pandakid
i don't know if this is true so don't quote me.someone told me today if you buy a motor you can get papers for it but i have no idea if their a smog legal.i have no idea if it true so yea. does anyone know if it is true?
sinner96ST
Cali has some of the most strict laws in the states in terms of smog, people recommending you just pay off someone to certify you isn't a bad idea.

If you've heard anything about being smog legal, it's probably because the 3s was found here in the states on certain models, the MR-2 Turbo & Celica Alltrac. Most likely because those cars were legal to sell & drive in Cali, it will pass emissions if you swap one of them over, i'm not 100% sure of that though.

I'd check over on mr2oc.com message boards, those guys have legal 3sgte's and they even have a section dedicated to emissions testing. You have to sign up to read those boards, but if you're getting a 3sgte, it's an invaluable resource of information.
phattyduck
QUOTE(snapshotgt @ Apr 17, 2006 - 7:15 PM) [snapback]422730[/snapback]

~snap

Yup, there is a way to make everything legal... Get a US market motor with *all* of the emissions equipment installed and working. Then go to a state run smog referee to have them check over the whole car (and they check pretty well). Once you pass (it often takes a couple tries, even if you know what you are doing), you get a nice sticker in the engine bay that says its legal in CA...

Most JDM motors are illegal here because they have different smog regulations and thus different smog equipment on the motors (my JDM motor is missing EGR, but has an extra VSV on the evap canister for example).

I guess just feel lucky that you aren't here?

-Charlie
snapshotgt
QUOTE(phattyduck @ Apr 18, 2006 - 5:40 PM) [snapback]423136[/snapback]

QUOTE(snapshotgt @ Apr 17, 2006 - 7:15 PM) [snapback]422730[/snapback]

~snap

Yup, there is a way to make everything legal... Get a US market motor with *all* of the emissions equipment installed and working. Then go to a state run smog referee to have them check over the whole car (and they check pretty well). Once you pass (it often takes a couple tries, even if you know what you are doing), you get a nice sticker in the engine bay that says its legal in CA...

Most JDM motors are illegal here because they have different smog regulations and thus different smog equipment on the motors (my JDM motor is missing EGR, but has an extra VSV on the evap canister for example).

I guess just feel lucky that you aren't here?

-Charlie

Yeah, CA has some pretty darn strick rules...feel sorry for you cali swappers frown.gif

~snap
LewFX
i know someone who does smog checks but since cali is cracking down more and more places, its way to hard to get anyone to pass you, jail time or a huge fine isnt worth it.
Clipsetuner
pandakid - I nocited you were a 97....

Well considering I am not doing a 3s swap at this point at least I will explain one of the problems concerning my swap, along with I think might be a problem for others 96+.

Here we have the rollers for 95Pre for OBD1 cars, and 96+ are OBDII that plug in. Using a pre-OBDII ECU there is no way I can pass DEQ because it will shoot codes, and not pass (shoot anything here and its a instant no-pass). So as far as gettin a 3sgte thats OBDII (not sure if GT4's are) would basicly be my only option, besides a standalone thats OBDII complient.

So any input to swappers have would be nice.

PS. Doge is a punk for living outside of emissions!

DTE
Green_MachToy
My JDM gt4 is a 98 and is OBDII. As far as the topic question, there is a way and we have discssed it here before. I wasn't able to find the thread, but its here somewhere. Long story short, you have 97, unless there is a car that the 3sgte came in that was sold here in the states that I am not aware of, you will not be able to do the swap and pass smog. You need to have the same year or newer engine found in a similar body style car. The good news for those of us with 94's, they consider the MR2 and the Celica the same body style (sport compact or something like that). You then have to make sure the engine is a CA engine. Probably the easiest was to verify that is run the vin on the car you get it from and make sure it was originally sold in CA. When I talked to CARBS they told me that there is a code or a vin number on the block that signifies CA or fed. You have to have CA! Once you find all that, you have to get all the smog equipment as was already posted on this thread and go see the referree. I know someone that did a swap in an older (85)celica/supra to pass the referree. So it can be done. Be ready to spend some cash! I found an engine, we are talking long block nothing else...it cost me $2500 rebuilt. I sold it and bought the gt4 clip delivered for $4000 (at that time). To pass smog, it cost me the regular $50 or so dollars plus a couple 1's on top of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.