Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Questions
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
CycleTron
Hello folks,
No, I don't own one. yet. But I have begun my hunt. I have been following the forum for a while, and think it's time I post some questions. I have fallen for this car, after having picked up an 88 Corolla SR5. My past road-racing (auto-cross and such) has been with BMWs, Volvos and older Nissans. So, one might say I'm a convert. As well, I'm looking to pick up a 4-Runner, so keeping everything Toyota makes sense to me (anyone want to buy a 3-series track car?)

So, hopefully I'm not making any newbie mistakes here. Here goes

Wheels: (http://www.tsw.com/) (ranked in order of preference)
1. TWS Evo
2. TWS Turn7
3. TWS Modello
As you can see, there is a certain style I like. That being said, I am very aware of rotating mass, so something like an Enkei or BBS will do. Anyone have any of the TWS rims on one I can see a pic of?

Suspension:
Ideally I'd like to lower it two inches. Eibach I know well from my BMW history, and I suspect they make very nice stuff for Celica's as well.

Tires:
Given my lowering idea, what do you recommend for tire/rim size? Will a 17" with 45 fit on this if it is lowered that much?

Brakes:
Recommendations? I'm a late braker on the track, and fully love big discs. EBS pads are my current fav. I believe I'll end up changing rotors and cals. Is the ST only disc on front, and if yes, is it a pain to change over to disc on rear as well? Do they all come with ABS?

Bodypanels
1. http://www.c-one.co.jp/C-ONEPARTS/celica.html
Anything close to this anyone would recommend?

Lighting:
1. Recommend bulb upgrades (and are they safe???)
2. PIAA driving/fog lamps work fine I am guessing.

And as many TRD parts as I need to get what I want out of the car.

Mod Questions:
1. Is there a super-charger available that will work for a daily driver?
2. If no SC, what do people recommend for a turbo kit?
3. In Canada, what is a fair price for a 94-96 GT and ST?
4. Anyone know of a wreaking yard on Vancouver Island for these units?
5. Seat recommendations. I want to be able to get my kids in the back, but still have a safe/comfortable racing seat (racing harness recommendations?)
6. What are the common problems to watch out for on a Canadian version, years 94 -96?
7. Can I use VDO gauges in this puppy? I understand, they have a non-normal stock configuration. As I plan to put a turbo in if I can't locate a SC, I'll need a gauge for it, and I prefer the euro gauge style (white-face, black numbers, RPM on right side and larger if possible). Thoughts?
8. AWD. Is there an AWD model in Canada? And if yes, for performance should I just stick with the FWD?

Ideally, I'm looking for a 94-96 GT in good shape. I would like to have leather interior, but have to have pw/pl. Color, I don't care about, so long as the inside is black (have a paint scheme in mind). Reality is, I'll end up getting it in Vancouver as there doesn't seem to be many on the island.

Thanks in advance all,
CT
CelicaZR
Welcome smile.gif
You made the right choice wink.gif

Suspension: Most people here use Tein springs, and would recommend it.
I've heard nothing but good things about them.
The drop should be perfect if your goin 17".

Tires: I'm pretty sure you can have 45 profile, I think thats what Lagos has
at the moment.

Brakes: Brembos makes disc for our car. If you want bigger ones, search "Wilwood"

Body panel: That kit will be very expensive if it is genuine, or otherwise you can
get a copy version of it, for cheaper. Vis Racing makes copies of them.

1) Supercharger ask Madmods on here. He is currently attempting this project wink.gif
2) Better off buliding your own turbo kit, see Manny (pressure2) Thread
3) No idea tongue.gif
4) Can't help you out tongue.gif
5) A few people have them here, Valo666, and others but just cant remember their name.
6)
7) ?
8) Only 4wd version is the GT-4 (ST-205)
CycleTron
Thanks for the reply. I figure it's wisdom to ask before one spends <grin>.
Ya, the C-One kit looks very very sweet, but I admit, the cost is scary. Personally I really like the TRD wing as well, so I may be better off going for a mix and match that works well together. I am just not into the street-fighter/shogun look.

I'll look into the Tein springs. It's a name I have seen a lot in the forum, just from personal experience I have always had good success with Eibach in the past. (and I can get a screaming deal on em to boot).

Tire size, well, as this is to be a daily driver, the 45's are about as short as I think I want to go. As well, I need a tire with very,very good wet weather traction, as we get some serious rain here. All season would be nice, but we don't get that much snow, and before this is built up, I'll have a 4-runner for that. Tire-wise, not a good-year fan at all, have had good luck with Dunlops, Conti's, Yoko's and as silly as it may sound, Hancook.

The more I read, the more I think turbo is the way to go. I'm not looking to build a killer track car. I want something that looks good, is fun to drive, not too shabby on gas, and that I can still play with at the track. Nothing better than hammering someone's time who has twice your HP, just because you can brake later and harder than they can, and your car weighs less <evil grin>. My choice in rim, directly inpacts my choice in rotor size, so it's something I have been working in my head. I've used Brembos before and liked them, just damn expensive up here in Canada. I'll take a look at the Wilwood stuff tonight.

Thanks again for the feedback, and it all helps.
CT

QUOTE(CelicaZR @ Apr 17, 2006 - 2:22 AM) [snapback]422409[/snapback]

Welcome smile.gif
You made the right choice wink.gif

Suspension: Most people here use Tein springs, and would recommend it.
I've heard nothing but good things about them.
The drop should be perfect if your goin 17".

Tires: I'm pretty sure you can have 45 profile, I think thats what Lagos has
at the moment.

Brakes: Brembos makes disc for our car. If you want bigger ones, search "Wilwood"

Body panel: That kit will be very expensive if it is genuine, or otherwise you can
get a copy version of it, for cheaper. Vis Racing makes copies of them.

1) Supercharger ask Madmods on here. He is currently attempting this project wink.gif
2) Better off buliding your own turbo kit, see Manny (pressure2) Thread
3) No idea tongue.gif
4) Can't help you out tongue.gif
5) A few people have them here, Valo666, and others but just cant remember their name.
6)
7) ?
8) Only 4wd version is the GT-4 (ST-205)

brianforster
converting the rear disks on an st is pretty straightforward, theres a how-to on this site.

other than that the st has ever so smaller front brakes.

id try to find a gt, because the gt badge immediately means a few things without even seeing the vehicle:

4 wheel disk brakes
power windows
power locks
5sfe engine (over the 7afe in the st)
95CelicaST
If you want a good track car, Look into getting an ST and swap in either a 4A-GE silver or blacktop, or even a 4A-GZE from the MKI MR-2's. They aren't the fastest engines around, but they can hold their own. They can rev high and fast, but have very little low-end torque. Most of the power is made at high RPM's.

Then do a disc brake conversion from a GT

and then everything else you are interested in doing

...or at least that is what I would do...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.