Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tell if your car is a CA model?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Outrider
My mechanic is having a hard time finding the right part for my '96 GT. He thinks that it is a California-emissions model, and that's making the part harder to find (I think it's the coil.) According to the Experion Autochek I got when I bought it, the car was originally sold in SD and ended up in GA. How can I find out for sure? Is there a VIN list?

Sorry if this is an easy one. I couldn't find the answer. I think my mechanic may just be inept.
fastgt
its actually the rotor for the dist. cap hes having trouble finding...any toyota dealership should be able to get it , dont know why hes being dramatic.

youre right hes probably inept
Outrider
QUOTE(fastgt @ Apr 18, 2006 - 10:19 AM) [snapback]422949[/snapback]
youre right hes probably inept

I wish I knew how to handle these problems myself. I don't like being at the randomly diagnostical mercy of a stranger who wants my $$.
fastgt
actually changing that part is actually really easy....3 or four bolts on the cap....slap on new rotor, put cap back on...bam! done....
presure2
its listed on the sticker thats on the hood.
fastgt
i think you lose 5hp on the ca spec motor
tomr96
Outrider, I had the same problem when I replaced the dist. cap, rotor and wires on my '96 GT. The sticker on the car indicates federal emissions. And my dealer said that according to the VIN it is federal emissions. But the distributor on my car is CA emission spec. The dist. cap is round and has the 4 spark plug wires and another wire in the center which runs to the external coil located on the firewall. The rotor is round. I can look up the part numbers tonight. In the meantime, could you tell me the part number on the ECU in your car? Thanks.
Outrider
QUOTE(presure2 @ Apr 18, 2006 - 10:35 AM) [snapback]422956[/snapback]

its listed on the sticker thats on the hood.

Easy answer. Thanks!

I read about that 5hp loss. I wouldn't be too concerned except that with the Celica's already low hp, that works out to be almost a 4% loss. mad.gif Sounds worse that way...
Batman722
AFAIK all 96+ are cali spec
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.