Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: other engine swaps
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2
sanchezian16
i know about the 3sgte engines u can use to swap but wut other engines can be used to swap...any that arent AWD?
burneeed
doesnt matter if its all wheel drive. The way the 3sgte mounts in an alltrac is the same way it would mount for front wheel drive. Your best bet for power and potential is a 3sgte.

Other motor swaps that I have seen, that are simple.
4age - best is the 20v silver top
4agze - super charged motor that was in mkI Mr2's
3sge - NA Motors thats in some jdm yotas
3sgte - smile.gif

sanchezian16
i know it mounts the same..i was just tryin to save some hassle in changin my rear axle and addin cv joints to make it a awd...but i really think its worth it...since i met up with an old friend who has done about 12 engine swaps and is going to school for engine mechanic...and other than the 3sgte, whats argueably the 2nd best?
BLADDER_MASTER
You can swap in the V6's from the Camry's or the V8's from the Lexus'. It all depends on how much money you got to burn on a swap.
Zimluura
it'd be pretty damn cool to see a v8 rwd swap done on a celica. can't imagine the $$ though. prolly easier to buy a mustang and swap a celica's body panels onto it.

it'd also be cool to see one of these:
http://ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=85523&x=7

haha, that engine is more than our curb weight
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(Zimluura @ Apr 30, 2006 - 1:29 AM) [snapback]428090[/snapback]

it'd be pretty damn cool to see a v8 rwd swap done on a celica.

http://media.putfile.com/V8-Celica-GT4
jdg371
Some one really needs to venture into the V6Celica

The engine weight of the 1MZFE is about the same as the 3SGTE
The engine would be the best for those who want NA power (cheaper than the 3SGE for the US folks)
For more power the addition of a TRD Supercharger would provide it.
Unique and Special, Just being able to say my Celica is a V6 would be really cool.
sanchezian16
that celica v8 is tite...haha...and yeah a celica with a v6 would be somethin that i would wanna see...and burneed earlier u said it doesnt matter if its awd, ur not tryin to say that u can put in the 3sgte w/o converting are you?
Cutrara
You use the 3S-GTE with a Front Wheel drive transmission such as the stock GT tranny or you can use an MR2 MR tranny and convert it to FWD, or a Solara tranny, etc. Sell the tranny that comes with your clip/engine set to the All-Trac guys.
K-ESD
QUOTE(jdg371 @ Apr 30, 2006 - 9:04 AM) [snapback]428112[/snapback]

Some one really needs to venture into the V6Celica

The engine weight of the 1MZFE is about the same as the 3SGTE
The engine would be the best for those who want NA power (cheaper than the 3SGE for the US folks)
For more power the addition of a TRD Supercharger would provide it.
Unique and Special, Just being able to say my Celica is a V6 would be really cool.

Huhummmm

look bellow (sig)
K-ESD
just for an overview

v6 - 1mz-3mz same block that bolts to the E153 tranny which is essentialy the same as the alltrac/gt-four transmission (only fwd instead of awd) that bolts up to our chassis, with the right combo of axles (mr2 inner, st185 outter). Only other thing to get it mounted is the passenger side mount which needs to be modified to fit to the engine. other than that, a faily simple bracket (bolted to the cross member) that will hold up the axle carrier/mount. The rest of the magic is in the wiring and small details such as returness fuel system, exhaust routing, etc...

and you get a ~200hp ~200trq reliable bone stock motor that can get you 30+ mpg and that parts are readily avaible at your local junker for about the same price of your average 3s swap, or if you're smart about it, it can be much cheaper. only drawback is the r&d behind it all.
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(jdg371 @ Apr 30, 2006 - 7:04 AM) [snapback]428112[/snapback]

I highly doubt that. rolleyes.gif
K-ESD
QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 5:45 PM) [snapback]428266[/snapback]

having done a massive load of research and part hunting, i highly support that
sanchezian16
okay..besides the 3sgte wut other engines(besides the v6 or v8) have the most power potential for the st?
Clipsetuner
V6 / 3sgte are gonna be your high horsepower swaps.

FYI: V6 is alot cheaper swap by far, my 1mz was 50$.

DTE
BBoYRuGGeD
QUOTE(sanchezian16 @ Apr 30, 2006 - 9:56 PM) [snapback]428286[/snapback]

okay..besides the 3sgte wut other engines(besides the v6 or v8) have the most power potential for the st?

QUOTE(burneeed @ Apr 30, 2006 - 2:02 AM) [snapback]428009[/snapback]

Other motor swaps that I have seen, that are simple.
4age - best is the 20v silver top
4agze - super charged motor that was in mkI Mr2's
3sge - NA Motors thats in some jdm yotas
3sgte - smile.gif

if u didnt wunna mess around with the S series engines and/or the undocumented (hopefully that'll change soon) v6 swap...go for 4agze for power. u can always ditch the sc and turbo it later on. a good side to this is u'll be able to use ur motor mounts and "possibly" some other things from the 7afe.

bboy
sanchezian16
yeah more and more im leaning toward the 4agze swap...and im glad i can ditch the sc if i want...but i dunno..i have some time to make up my mind
jdg371
QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 4:45 PM) [snapback]428266[/snapback]

I waqs referring to price of the engine. Not the whole swap, Unless the U.S. wants to mess with the 1st gen 3SGE
sanchezian16
okay...say i decide to get the 4agze swap...do i need the whole front clip since it mouts rite in the st...or just the engine trans ecu and wiring?
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(K-ESD @ Apr 30, 2006 - 3:55 PM) [snapback]428269[/snapback]

laugh.gif Just to verify, are you supporting his quote or my quote? If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research.
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(jdg371 @ Apr 30, 2006 - 5:35 PM) [snapback]428298[/snapback]

I waqs referring to price of the engine. Not the whole swap, Unless the U.S. wants to mess with the 1st gen 3SGE

So you could get 1MZ-FE's for less than $650!?!? If thats true, then I paid way too much for my 3rd gen 3S-GE. mad.gif
BLADDER_MASTER
Oh and btw, a V6 swap on a Celica has been done already. Do some research and you'll find out about it. wink.gif
jdg371
Adrian Someguy (forgot last name) did it to his 5GC

QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 7:04 PM) [snapback]428309[/snapback]

QUOTE(jdg371 @ Apr 30, 2006 - 5:35 PM) [snapback]428298[/snapback]

So you could get 1MZ-FE's for less than $650!?!? If thats true, then I paid way too much for my 3rd gen 3S-GE. mad.gif

Damn! $650 I need to do some more research then mad.gif
K-ESD
QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 8:00 PM) [snapback]428308[/snapback]

QUOTE(K-ESD @ Apr 30, 2006 - 3:55 PM) [snapback]428269[/snapback]

laugh.gif Just to verify, are you supporting his quote or my quote? If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research.

obviously i'm supporting his quote, not hard to figure that out rolleyes.gif

please share with us your vaste knowlege about the v6 swap, this should be good laugh.gif

just for facts

i paid $750 for my 2004 3MZ w/ 22k KMS (thats in canadian dollars)
K-ESD
QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 8:27 PM) [snapback]428313[/snapback]

Oh and btw, a V6 swap on a Celica has been done already. Do some research and you'll find out about it. wink.gif

Adrian - aka SBcelicatgt on MR2OC.com - 97+ 1mzfe with a 99 solora tranny, clever guy, also very easy to talk to and very helpful, drives a nice 5th gen

I did my research and i positive i know much more than you think about the v6 swap

please stop being a pain
thatcelicaguy
i picked up my v6 on friday for $500 bishes.....the race is on =]
BLADDER_MASTER
obviously i'm supporting his quote, not hard to figure that out rolleyes.gif

Like I stated before, I just wanted to make sure. I don't see the harm in that.

please share with us your vaste knowlege about the v6 swap, this should be good laugh.gif

d00d, I never once stated that I have vaste knowledge on the V6 swap. But I know for a fact that it's not as simple as a 3S-GE swap. So if you want to argue that, go right ahead.

just for facts

i paid $750 for my 2004 3MZ w/ 22k KMS (thats in canadian dollars)

Kudos to you.
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(K-ESD @ Apr 30, 2006 - 8:08 PM) [snapback]428354[/snapback]

QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ Apr 30, 2006 - 8:27 PM) [snapback]428313[/snapback]

Adrian - aka SBcelicatgt on MR2OC.com - 97+ 1mzfe with a 99 solora tranny, clever guy, also very easy to talk to and very helpful, drives a nice 5th gen

I did my research and i positive i know much more than you think about the v6 swap

please stop being a pain

You more than likely do, but not everyone does their research like you do. And I was just responding to those who wanted to see a V6 swap done, just the same way how I responded to those who wanted to see a V8 swap done.

Being a pain?...right...
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(Clipsetuner @ Apr 30, 2006 - 5:03 PM) [snapback]428287[/snapback]

FYI: V6 is alot cheaper swap by far, my 1mz was 50$.

DTE

Hot damn! Where you find a deal like that? Was it just the engine alone or was it engine, tranny, harness, ecu, etc?
K-ESD
QUOTE('bladdermaster')

Just to verify, are you supporting his quote or my quote? If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research.

i'm sorry but i felt very offended, it's quite clear you are the one lacking the research here when it comes to 1mz swap prices
K-ESD
QUOTE(thatcelicaguy @ Apr 30, 2006 - 10:31 PM) [snapback]428363[/snapback]

who's in the line up in the "race" ?

i know there's me, doc, you, clipsetuner

who else?

i'm not too far in my swap, i still need to source a whole bunch of parts but i got lucky on getting my hands on my 3mz. Next thing in line is a e153

also i'm curious what kind of v6 you got and how you will be tackling the swap? (3mz, 1mz year, tranny, fuel system, etc...)
Clipsetuner
BLADDER_MASTER - Its just basicly a long block, no harness, tranny, ECU, but 50$ is hard to beat. Its a 97 camry with around 70k so its not quite the Ideal motor, but its not to high of millege, plus it lets me get the wiring and everything figured out before I drop a new motor.

K-ESD - I will hopefully be back in the race soon enough, just try'n to source another car... I plan on using the 5s trans for now considering I have 2 of them, then someday upgrading.

I also plan on my car being more track car, corners etc.. I am not much going for the 1/4mile time, as bein
K-ESD
how did you stumble on such a deal? $50 is a crazy deal even with no accesories
brianforster
i cant believe nobody has said this yet..

only two people have converted their car to AWD when doing the 3sgte swap, 99% of us use the gt tranny or mr2 tranny keeping our cars FWD!
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(K-ESD @ May 1, 2006 - 5:26 AM) [snapback]428491[/snapback]

QUOTE('bladdermaster')

Just to verify, are you supporting his quote or my quote? If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research.

i'm sorry but i felt very offended, it's quite clear you are the one lacking the research here when it comes to 1mz swap prices

d00d, i'm not talking about swap prices, i'm talking about engine prices. And turns out I was wrong, after some looking around, some guys are getting 1MZ's complete with everything attached to it for less than $650.
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(Clipsetuner @ May 1, 2006 - 7:26 AM) [snapback]428502[/snapback]

BLADDER_MASTER - Its just basicly a long block, no harness, tranny, ECU, but 50$ is hard to beat. Its a 97 camry with around 70k so its not quite the Ideal motor, but its not to high of millege, plus it lets me get the wiring and everything figured out before I drop a new motor.

Sounds good. Shouldn't be too hard to source the rest of the stuff.

I also plan on my car being more track car, corners etc.. I am not much going for the 1/4mile time, as bein

Not much of your type around here.
K-ESD
QUOTE('bladdermaster')

d00d, i'm not talking about swap prices, i'm talking about engine prices. And turns out I was wrong, after some looking around, some guys are getting 1MZ's complete with everything attached to it for less than $650.

if thats the case, your comment

"If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research."

was absolutely unnecessary, if you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all, got that?

edit: pardon my tone, sh-t like that really irritates the f-k out of me
thatcelicaguy
QUOTE(K-ESD @ May 1, 2006 - 7:50 AM) [snapback]428497[/snapback]

QUOTE(thatcelicaguy @ Apr 30, 2006 - 10:31 PM) [snapback]428363[/snapback]

who's in the line up in the "race" ?

i know there's me, doc, you, clipsetuner

who else?

i'm not too far in my swap, i still need to source a whole bunch of parts but i got lucky on getting my hands on my 3mz. Next thing in line is a e153

also i'm curious what kind of v6 you got and how you will be tackling the swap? (3mz, 1mz year, tranny, fuel system, etc...)

im not too far in my swap yet either....money has been pretty slow lately....so its kinda been not happening to much..im using the 1mzfe from a 98 avalon....i got to hear it running before it got pulled.....the engine had around.....150,xxx miles when they pulled it...but it was in immaculate shape and it ran really well, so i couldnt pass it up. for the brains im planning on running Mega Squirt, because i figure im going to eventually turbo it anyways, so i might as well go ahead and use the standalone i would run. I will probably use the e153 tranny...but im still looking into other options, even though it seems im limited. i also picked up a 150 shot NX kit from one of my buddies for $150 on friday....so im thinking when it all gets done, hopefully before august...she should be a whole lot more fun then stock biggrin.gif
K-ESD
wow thats awsome smile.gif
same with me, i got the motor but i still got a whole bunch of parts to order in
i'm aiming to have it done to at least enjoy some of the summer with it

is there a reason why you picked the 1mz over the 3vz, concidering you're planning to turbo and use nitrous?
Clipsetuner
K-ESD - Toyota Performance, Portland Oregon, is where I got my engine, The owner of the car wanted a lower millege engine for some reason, so I offered 50$ with no asseorey's and hes like sure..

brianforster - I dont think many people even really want AWD if they did I think more of us would be all-trac owners, I personaly like FWD for the most part. I have drove a 3sgte'd swapped celica before and it didnt suite my needs to much un-usable power for cornering etc..

Both of you are pretty lucky for having 94's every celica Ive looked at sense mine got hit has been a 96+ OBDII which I cant really figure out how to get past, unless I am to drop the 1500$ or so for a standalone thats OBDII complient. I think that is the route I will probley end up having togo because down the line I would like to turbo it and see what it can do.

It appears that my morning post was cut a litte short, celica's more a less in design were never straight line cars, if you want one I reccomend a supra, skyline etc... I plan on pushing mine to the cornering limits hanging with FD's, Porcshe's. Just a little parts in the waitings...

Tein SS
Custom Front/Rear strut braces
Custom Body braces
Cusco Underbody Brace
255 tires (hopefully I can fit bigger)

DTE
thatcelicaguy
i just got a really good deal...and didnt want to pass it up. i saw not to long ago that another guy with 1mz did the same thing( turbo, standalone : no nitrous though) with very good results. i believe he was pushing around 340 whp and 360 ft lbs of torque. im not really sure if there would be any real advantage of one over the other, minus a few base horsepower.

my main concern is the intake manifold....it almost looks like its going to be too large to fit in the car...but i guess ill just have to play it by ear
CLYCK
well before my accident i was gonna go 4agze and yeah dump the supercharger and not all the motor mounts line up by the way and if you are gonna dump the supercharger you would need a 16 valve 4age intake and ofcourse get a new exaust manifold. you could use the stock st tranny but you gotta remember that you have more torque that you are pushing with the 4agze and if you buy the clip which if your doing it your self you should definately buy a clip, the ae101 tranny came lsd so you would want to use that trnny only thing there is one of the axles must be shortened. faqdaworld has his running and well he educated me about it i know iam leaving things out but if you do want some answers hes very helpful.
K-ESD
QUOTE(thatcelicaguy @ May 1, 2006 - 10:14 PM) [snapback]428801[/snapback]

i just got a really good deal...and didnt want to pass it up. i saw not to long ago that another guy with 1mz did the same thing( turbo, standalone : no nitrous though) with very good results. i believe he was pushing around 340 whp and 360 ft lbs of torque. im not really sure if there would be any real advantage of one over the other, minus a few base horsepower.

my main concern is the intake manifold....it almost looks like its going to be too large to fit in the car...but i guess ill just have to play it by ear

hopefuly this pict will help

IPB Image

also, as for the 3VZ vs. 1MZ - the mr2 guys choose the 3VZ for turbo applications, i believe it's built stronger being a truck engine
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(K-ESD @ May 1, 2006 - 3:34 PM) [snapback]428672[/snapback]

QUOTE('bladdermaster')

if thats the case, your comment

"If you're supporting his quote, then obviously you've haven't done enough research or the right research."

was absolutely unnecessary, if you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all, got that?

edit: pardon my tone, sh-t like that really irritates the f-k out of me

Um, I don't get it. I admit that I was wrong and I already explained myself for my quote but yet you're still bringing it up. d00d, just drop it and lets move on.
K-ESD
QUOTE(BLADDER_MASTER @ May 2, 2006 - 3:46 AM) [snapback]428976[/snapback]

Um, I don't get it. I admit that I was wrong and I already explained myself for my quote but yet you're still bringing it up. d00d, just drop it and lets move on.

I already made my point and moved on. Too bad you didn't get it, you could've learned something from it.
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(K-ESD @ May 2, 2006 - 6:55 PM) [snapback]429236[/snapback]

I already made my point and moved on. Too bad you didn't get it, you could've learned something from it.

Um, ok. confused.gif

Anywho, any of you guys going the V6 route consider the 2GR?
thatcelicaguy
could be wrong...but i dont think that the 2gr willl fit...
creamed_corn
QUOTE(Clipsetuner @ May 1, 2006 - 8:04 PM) [snapback]428794[/snapback]

It appears that my morning post was cut a litte short, celica's more a less in design were never straight line cars, if you want one I reccomend a supra, skyline etc... I plan on pushing mine to the cornering limits hanging with FD's, Porcshe's. Just a little parts in the waitings...

Tein SS
Custom Front/Rear strut braces
Custom Body braces
Cusco Underbody Brace
255 tires (hopefully I can fit bigger)

DTE

Stiffening up the back of a FWD car causes understeer. You're going to need about 100 more horsepower and rear wheel drive to hang with FD's and Porsches, and I doubt either of those is going to happen on your ST anytime soon smile.gif
JoKeRkId613
QUOTE(K-ESD @ May 2, 2006 - 4:55 PM) [snapback]429236[/snapback]

k-esd, i dont see how anything bladder_master said pissed you off... just about everyone on this forum is an adult, no need to pms about a simple statement/opinion. but yea, nice engine you have there smile.gif
Clipsetuner
K-ESD - Its seems to me that when your educated about certain subject matter that people just want to fight, this is basicly why I never brought up I was doing the 1MZ untill tweaker started talking about it.

BLADDER_MASTER - Ever consider the 5vz? direct bolt on to the 5s Trans.

creamed_corn - I hopefully wont have to get into this to hardcore, but I hope you understand basic's of cars, and handleing. Did anywhere in my post did I say that I planned up stiffening up the rear? NO, I said I have Tein SS which yes are stiffer but you can also controll the damping force. It always states in this thread that I do NOT have a ST, I dont have a 6gc at all, considering it got wrecked a few months back. But if think ST's cant hang, I remember Dabbil driving German Town Famous local road and hanging with a Audi A4 like it was nothing.

DTE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.