Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Auto to Manual Swap IS DONE
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hurley97
so i have the major parts for the auto to manual swap but now i need help biggrin.gif
i would love to do it myself and everything...i just dont have the experience, or man power for that matter

ive gotten the ever popular "its not worth it, just buy a new car" which i choose to ignore, the "well i could do it for $2,000" which is way over my budget, and the wannabe mechanic doing work out of his garage who says "id love to try, can i give you an estimate" then never answers the phone again

id trust a 6gc-er over anyone else anyway so i figured id at least ask before looking elsewhere any more
i will pay, just let me know what you think is fair and i'll tell you if i can pay it

please help biggrin.gif
thanks
madmods
bring down here, I'll do it
devilsden97
I'm in, i don't know tons...but im an extra set of hands and more then willing to learn. I also grill a mean hamburger....and hotdog.....

maybe a auto-manual swap cook out? idk lol

But again, I'm in.
amysmojo
ill help you! just let me put on some lip stick & a skirt & heels & ill be ready to work on your car Lol
hurley97
QUOTE(amysmojo @ May 4, 2006 - 7:49 PM) [snapback]430244[/snapback]

ill help you! just let me put on some lip stick & a skirt & heels & ill be ready to work on your car Lol

lol...awesome, i'll do the same laugh.gif

QUOTE(madmods @ May 4, 2006 - 7:37 PM) [snapback]430241[/snapback]

where are you? how much you want? blah blah blah ? lol

thanks
94GT
QUOTE(madmods @ May 4, 2006 - 4:37 PM) [snapback]430241[/snapback]

Aren't you living in the south west? She's in Jersey.
hurley97
anyone closer?

im around jersey city, hoboken, north bergen, edgewater, weehawken, union city, fort lee, edgewater, englewood all the time...lol im everywhere!
TheStreetzKing
any chance i can stop by?? im doing this to, and have everything so its gonna be soon and i wanna see how this is going down
hurley97
QUOTE(TheStreetzKing @ May 5, 2006 - 9:06 AM) [snapback]430402[/snapback]

any chance i can stop by?? im doing this to, and have everything so its gonna be soon and i wanna see how this is going down

you doing it yourself? maybe you, me, miguel and someone whos done it can do both our cars in one shot
like a two for one deal lol biggrin.gif
OrbitalGT95
this might be a hike for ya, but DG PERFORMANCE opened his own shop in PITT PA, he seriously knows the celica better then the back of his hand. I dont think he would charge to much, and i know he would have it done in no time, Him and his buddy just did a auto to standard in an s14 so he knows what he is doing, if you would like to contact him u can reach him, pm me and i'll send you his phone number.
devilsden97
QUOTE(hurley97 @ May 5, 2006 - 11:27 AM) [snapback]430447[/snapback]

QUOTE(TheStreetzKing @ May 5, 2006 - 9:06 AM) [snapback]430402[/snapback]

you doing it yourself? maybe you, me, miguel and someone whos done it can do both our cars in one shot
like a two for one deal lol biggrin.gif

lol u have alot of faith there missy lol
playr158
depending on what date i might beable to assist in this mockery of a job!
hurley97
QUOTE(playr158 @ May 6, 2006 - 8:53 PM) [snapback]430923[/snapback]

depending on what date i might beable to assist in this mockery of a job!

mockery?!?! lol laugh.gif
i got all summer ...just let me know so i can take off work
devilsden97
let me know!
97lestyousay
Print this out if you haven't already. Take lots of pics.

Auto to Manual
TheStreetzKing
haha nah im doing mine with someone else but i wanna be able to bring some knowledge back, and im still waiting for my bracket before i can swap
Silver94CelicaOwner
I think it would be great if we could find access to a lift. In that case we could get a few of us guys on this thing, and get it done a little easier....i know I'd be down.

The more research prior to the operation, the smoother it'll go though.
devilsden97
QUOTE(Silver94CelicaOwner @ May 7, 2006 - 1:12 AM) [snapback]430995[/snapback]

I think it would be great if we could find access to a lift. In that case we could get a few of us guys on this thing, and get it done a little easier....i know I'd be down.

The more research prior to the operation, the smoother it'll go though.

right u find us access to a lift...lol jack stands, 3 feet, no one kick it, or were dead. ok?
LeonStryfe
Wow, I'm amaze how everyone are so quick to help. I would too, but I'm just a noob with the celica atm >.>
devilsden97
QUOTE(LeonStryfe @ May 7, 2006 - 5:14 AM) [snapback]431037[/snapback]

Wow, I'm amaze how everyone are so quick to help. I would too, but I'm just a noob with the celica atm >.>

come anyway, thats how u learn. And on top of it, we'll all just have a blast, talking and messing around. 6gc.net is kinda like a type of extended family in a way. lol
hurley97

QUOTE(devilsden97 @ May 7, 2006 - 8:31 AM) [snapback]431051[/snapback]

come anyway, thats how u learn. And on top of it, we'll all just have a blast, talking and messing around. 6gc.net is kinda like a type of extended family in a way. lol

lol... i was pleasantly surprised too!
so yeah come anyway ...yay for learning on my car! hopefully dan at least knows what hes doing and can come up and help

and i have a friend whos always talking about the garage his dad owns...i'll ask what going on with that and if we can use it.
hurley97
nope...his dad rents it out so he can't actually use it

...keep looking...
devilsden97
booo hissss. lol

I need to purchase some jack stands for work on my car, so ill just toss them in back, and bring them with me.

AGAIN dont kick the stands!
playr158
i got my car on 4 jackstands...but it really only sits on three...celica chassis rules on stiffness...
brianforster
dan can probably do it himself, just dont let him touch any hoses going to a turbo and he knows what hes doing smile.gif
hurley97
i still have to find a garage to use...

i have a 2 car garage but it only fits one car and you have to park all slanted otherwise you cant open the car door...and i dont even know what any of it is, if it was up to me id just push it all down the driveway and leave it for the garbage people
my dad parks in there, i park in the yard b/c im too lazy to clean it...

i actually wasnt even going to tell the family...i figured my dad would just realize it when he went to move my car for some reason and sees a 5spd lol my family asks too many questions so i like to just avoid them whenever possible haha biggrin.gif

but i guess, if it must come to that, i'll tell them and clean it out...boo kindasad.gif
lagos
QUOTE(brianforster @ May 8, 2006 - 1:47 PM) [snapback]431574[/snapback]

dan can probably do it himself, just dont let him touch any hoses going to a turbo and he knows what hes doing smile.gif

owned.gif
devilsden97
QUOTE(hurley97 @ May 8, 2006 - 2:18 PM) [snapback]431588[/snapback]

i still have to find a garage to use...

i have a 2 car garage but it only fits one car and you have to park all slanted otherwise you cant open the car door...and i dont even know what any of it is, if it was up to me id just push it all down the driveway and leave it for the garbage people
my dad parks in there, i park in the yard b/c im too lazy to clean it...

i actually wasnt even going to tell the family...i figured my dad would just realize it when he went to move my car for some reason and sees a 5spd lol my family asks too many questions so i like to just avoid them whenever possible haha biggrin.gif

but i guess, if it must come to that, i'll tell them and clean it out...boo kindasad.gif

how about in your driveway? interesting concept eh? its out of the road, and a large area so theres space to work.
playr158
driveway works it shouldn't take forever to do
hurley97
well smartass [miguel] laugh.gif ...my driveway is just long and narrow, i dont even think its allowed to be used as a driveway by code...my dads mirror is held on by duct tape b/c he keeps hitting **** on the way up lol

and theres about six kids who love to touch my car [those bastards] that use my backyard to play in (2 from my house and the neighbor has 4 grandkids)
but if it wont take that long then im sure it'll be fine
celicurr
depending on when it is, I'd make a trip down there to help out in whatever way I can and just hang out... I'll even bring some good beer... you know, Canadian beer biggrin.gif lol wink.gif
devilsden97
QUOTE(hurley97 @ May 8, 2006 - 4:31 PM) [snapback]431637[/snapback]

well smartass [miguel] laugh.gif ...my driveway is just long and narrow, i dont even think its allowed to be used as a driveway by code...my dads mirror is held on by duct tape b/c he keeps hitting **** on the way up lol

and theres about six kids who love to touch my car [those bastards] that use my backyard to play in (2 from my house and the neighbor has 4 grandkids)
but if it wont take that long then im sure it'll be fine

not smart ass...just i look outside the box or garage.

QUOTE(celicurr @ May 8, 2006 - 4:35 PM) [snapback]431640[/snapback]

depending on when it is, I'd make a trip down there to help out in whatever way I can and just hang out... I'll even bring some good beer... you know, Canadian beer biggrin.gif lol wink.gif

lol canadian beer...keep it away from me...im not good with my alcohol...i drink to much and get totally wasted and pass out...then after that, the fun starts lol.
LeonStryfe
I lived in NYC all my life this may sound lame and out of the topic but where is Poughkeepsie NY o.O
devilsden97
about 2 hours north of nyc.

Take the saw mill, to the taconic, ride the taconic for about an hour and a half, and your in good old poughkeepsie.
hurley97
QUOTE(celicurr @ May 8, 2006 - 3:35 PM) [snapback]431640[/snapback]

i dont think i have enough parking for this lol...everyones welcome to come hang but you may have to find street parking

one person can park in the yard maybe two but i gotta clear it with my neigbor and i can kick my dad out of the garage and one person can park there
[thats for those of you who dare try the narrow driveway, i know the celica fits but im not sure about your jetta dan...it looks small enough but i cant promise anything tongue.gif ]
if not one or two can park in the church lot down the street
devilsden97
QUOTE(hurley97 @ May 12, 2006 - 10:57 AM) [snapback]433240[/snapback]

i dont think i have enough parking for this lol...everyones welcome to come hang but you may have to find street parking

one person can park in the yard maybe two but i gotta clear it with my neigbor and i can kick my dad out of the garage and one person can park there
[thats for those of you who dare try the narrow driveway, i know the celica fits but im not sure about your jetta dan...it looks small enough but i cant promise anything tongue.gif ]
if not one or two can park in the church lot down the street

Ive seen the drive way, i could do it at 60mph....shes just being all dramatic, its crazy wide.
hurley97
QUOTE(devilsden97 @ May 13, 2006 - 12:36 AM) [snapback]433454[/snapback]

Ive seen the drive way, i could do it at 60mph....shes just being all dramatic, its crazy wide.

you should revise that statement now after you've ACTUALLY gone up it tongue.gif

when i get all the pieces i'll let you guys know
devilsden97
i wont change my statment, but omg its crazy narrow idk how u do it every day.
hurley97
QUOTE(devilsden97 @ May 15, 2006 - 5:14 PM) [snapback]434327[/snapback]

i wont change my statment, but omg its crazy narrow idk how u do it every day.

cause im good like that tongue.gif
zachattack15
To bad your not down south. I have access to a garage with three lifts. Plus enough tools to make you go crazy. Good luck on the swap though.
Mynzeyes
has anyone responded yet that actually can help, and knows what they are doing? heh.

i swapped my car to a 5speed a while back, and have had to take the tranny off a couple times since. (clutch, mount goes bad, etc). too bad i'm all the way in TN. frown.gif. I'm always down to pull a tranny...

if you know what your doing, you can have it done in well less than a day of work.

-John-
hurley97
QUOTE(Mynzeyes @ May 18, 2006 - 10:52 AM) [snapback]435244[/snapback]

has anyone responded yet that actually can help, and knows what they are doing? heh.

i swapped my car to a 5speed a while back, and have had to take the tranny off a couple times since. (clutch, mount goes bad, etc). too bad i'm all the way in TN. frown.gif. I'm always down to pull a tranny...

if you know what your doing, you can have it done in well less than a day of work.

-John-

well im counting on dan cause he said he might be able to come up depending on when

so when i get all the parts i'll be bothering him to come up and help me tongue.gif [and anyone else who wants to come by can]
hurley97
so im getting some more stuff from a salvage by miguel for 200:
clutch pedal assembly
master cylinder
clutch line
brake pedal

almost there, still need:
engine mount (going to buy new)
shifter (going to buy TRD)
and shift boot (not worried about that one)

if im missing anything else please let me know

heres what i already have for reference:
Manual tranny
Manual ECU
Flywheel
Clutch
the 6 bolts
Shifter cables
Clutch slave cylinder (attached to the tranny)
Clutch line (however much of it was attached to the tranny, getting the one from the salvage just to be sure)
Defgeph
You might need Manual axles. With the 7afe I'm not sure if they are the same or not. If you car has ABS, you'll need ABS axles to have it work properly

hurley97
QUOTE(defgeph @ Jun 3, 2006 - 11:59 AM) [snapback]440676[/snapback]

You might need Manual axles. With the 7afe I'm not sure if they are the same or not. If you car has ABS, you'll need ABS axles to have it work properly

i do not have ABS...sadly
but if anyone knows about the axle situation PLEASE let me know asap. thanks!
romeovaj
well when I bought my 5sfe 94 gt it was already switch to manual. it was an atx from the start. so I was relief. but the shifter housing is not original. I plan on looking at Toyota for the trd one. wish I could come down but its sorta far. goodluck!
hurley97
so mac says i should get all new mounts instead of just the one thats needed. theres like 4 i believe. is this really necessary? i didnt want to spend that much if it wasnt necessary but if a few people think its a good idea then i will. and if i dont have to buy all the mounts i'll have enough for the trd shifter

just mount(s) and shifter left woot.gif
[i'll address the axle situation when someone knows for sure but for now im assuming it isnt necessary]
devilsden97
if u need the axels i can get u them....lol stupid salvage yard is going to make a killing off you lol
hurley97
QUOTE(devilsden97 @ Jun 5, 2006 - 1:37 PM) [snapback]441256[/snapback]

if u need the axels i can get u them....lol stupid salvage yard is going to make a killing off you lol

call the guy and ask how much he wants
so incase we need them we know where to get them and my car isnt sitting in pieces for too long. i dont wanna buy them if i dont need to cause i cant really return them.
devilsden97
ill call him later on when your closer to doing the swap, or when you have a deffinate answer on if u need them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.