Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Emanage Ultimate experience
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Pages: 1, 2
presure2
Hey all,
So, I've finally made my decision about what to do with the 5sfte, and ways to improve it, and as we all know one of the main areas that we're lacking is tuning, or lack there of, I should say! haha..
Anyway, I've been doing some research on the various piggybacks out there, and I've decided to go ahead and try the Greddy Emanage Ultimate.
I'm gonna try and make this thread somewhat like my turbo thread, with lots of pictures and info, spread out over the whole experience from beginning to end.
So, with that in mind, let me just go over a few things before I really start in with the 'Ultimate stuff.
For those who havent seen the thread yet, or are new to the board, heres a link to my turbo thread.
Click for my 5SFTE post
That pretty much covers my particular setup, and what I've done with it to date.
Just for the record, the car is driven daily, and NOT babied at all.
That being said, as crazy as it may sound, I really DO believe there is more in it, and fairly reliably as well.
Since the install last June, I've learned tons about how this thing we call the 5SFTE really works, why it does what it does, and I'm still learning tons and tons more about it everyday.
I really cannot stress how important it is to try and learn as much as possible about your particular setup, what does and doesnt work, and why it does what it does.
I think one of the main issues we need to look at is how the stock N/A ECU applies timing VS' say a stock 3SGTE ecu, which is one of our big hurdles when it comes to tuning, and IMO one of the main reasons alot of guys loose the 5sfte battle...lol
I've noticed during my dyno runs, when i had the BTM installed, that the ECU REALLY seemed to be pulling ALOT of timing, right at 4450RPM, as you can see in this dyno run:
IPB Image
At first i thought it may have somthing to do with the BTM, so I played with it some, and it seemed the more I turned it down, the less it seemed to pull back, so I finally got to the point where it was totally @ 0, and I removed it.
Although i could still feel it pulling timing, it was ALOT better without the BTM, and here is my theory why: (this is JUST A THEORY, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT WHATS HAPPENING, keep that in mind.
the factory ECU has timing maps that are set for N/A operation. at the torque peak, there is just too much timing in the factory map for the amount of boost im trying to run, on pump gas. by the time the ecu reacts, im hitting the knock sensor, causing the ecu to pull out timing, and that coupled with the timing already being pulled by the BTM ( im WAY into full boost by then..lol) just makes the whole thing worse.
I really think that with the features of the Emanage ultimate, I'll be able to totally solve that issue, and really improve my tune all around.
First thing I've done, is head right over to www.greddy.com , and downloaded the installation and operation manuals from there.
Once I did a little reading, I noticed some really cool features that I thing will REALLY help us get a MUCH improved tune on our 5SFTE's.
heres a screenshot of some of the features it has:

[attachmentid=565]

cool stuff.
I'll keep updating this post over the next couple of days with lots more info and stuff..
for now,
DISCUSS!!
smile.gif
x_itchy_b_x
i played with an emanage the tunning on those things is sweeet. if u want some help give me a holla.
AllTrac96
with that ripp kit that i got i am going to sell that SAFC II and buy an emanage ultimate. if im going to do it right im going to do it right the first time. i have heard a lot of good things about it and its only like 550 with teh harness on ebay. keep us update presure im interested to see what more you get out of the 5s!
Silver94CelicaOwner
Awesome post Manny. I can't wait to see how far this thing can go, its a great learning experience for all of us seeing your car progress. thumbsup.gif
shin
i would like to know more bout this emanage ultimate too. good stuff manny
madmods
I'm right behind you also Manny. Your alot more gifted tuner then I'll ever be, so I look forward to any info
you post.
presure2
Your alot more gifted tuner then I'll ever be, so I look forward to any info
you post.

haha...thanks man...but i am NO tuner...lmao
im just a regular guy, like everyone else on here, learning as i go.=)
OOBE
Good stuff, man. It's gonna be great! biggrin.gif
presure2
heres a screenshot of what the operational maps look like, i have displayed the 3 maps ill prolly use the most of.
IPB Image
the injector map, which to me is gonna be the biggest single improvment over the safc, because it allows the ability to add or trim fuel independant of airflow(in other words, no timing compensation!)
the ignition map, which will allow me to manipulate timing.
and a really cool feature, the Air intake tempature compensation map. this feature will allow me to compensate with more fuel as the intake air temp rises. great stuff for us, especially on those hotter days, on hard boost runs where the intercooler is becoming less and less effective.
there are quite a few other maps available, as you can see in the box to the left.
individual cylinder adjustment, acceleration adjustment, as well as airflow adjustment maps are all available,
good stuff IMO, just a matter of learning and applying. smile.gif
CilverSeliST205
Are you going to shell out some money for wideband 02 ? or just use intuition and egt that you already have? (imo not a good idea)... Or do you have a cheap hook up on a dynamometer ? Good luck with tuning! hope you get your money's worth from emanage... then i will buy one too biggrin.gif
presure2
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ May 19, 2006 - 10:15 AM) [snapback]435674[/snapback]

Are you going to shell out some money for wideband 02 ? or just use intuition and egt that you already have? (imo not a good idea)... Or do you have a cheap hook up on a dynamometer ? Good luck with tuning! hope you get your money's worth from emanage... then i will buy one too biggrin.gif

yes, i do plan on getting a wideband, once the unit is in and running.
i do all my tuning now on the local dynojet (the local guy is pretty cheap @ 60$ per hr)
all off boost and partial boost tuning will be done once the wideband is installed.
97sccelica
looks awesome.

if i ever turbo the celica again, im definately going with a emanage(or something else that controls fuel and timing like an smt6 or split second)

AEM EMS is comming for the WRX biggrin.gif

i love tuning. it gets the most power, and its the cleanest part of working on cars.
OOBE
For wideband, I recommend an LM-1...very nice for the price. My buddy is using mine in his Mirage, since I don't need it right now, LOL. It's cool...has a breakout box and you can hook-up other sensors to it and datalog from them to your laptop.
CilverSeliST205
Bump! How is the tuning going ? Any useful features discovered? how hard was the wiring of emanage? oh and more screenshots please biggrin.gif
presure2
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ May 22, 2006 - 10:56 AM) [snapback]436602[/snapback]

Bump! How is the tuning going ? Any useful features discovered? how hard was the wiring of emanage? oh and more screenshots please biggrin.gif

i dont actually HAVE it yet...this is just the beginning of the reserch before i buy it...lol
people ask why my setup is the way it is....this is why...when i think about buying somthing, i research it FEVERISHLY...lol
ill be posting more and more..as i learn more about it.
i already have a wiring diagram "cheat sheet" like i made up for the SAFCII install, i just wont post it till i actually install it, so that i can make sure it works, and make any nessicary changes if need be.
presure2
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ May 19, 2006 - 10:15 AM) [snapback]435674[/snapback]

another note on this:

another really cool feature of the 'ultimate, is that once you do have the wideband, it has a map called "A/F Target".
what you do is input what you want your Air/Fuel Ratio to be at a given RPM 'VS Airflow, and the emanage will input the correction needed itself, to get to your target a/f ratio.
here is a screenshot of what that looks like, with a dummy map i setup, just to give you an idea of what the map looks like filled out.
these #s in the map ARE NOT my settings for this map, it is only an example.
[attachmentid=569]
it looks like a lot of info to input, but using the interpolate feature, i made this map in about 5-10 minutes.
here is a cpoy/paste from the manual about it:

A/F Target Map
• This map is used to automatically program the selected map (in the “A/F Taget” section in the
parameter) with the inputed A/F values.
• This feature will monitor the A/F sensor that is connected to the “OPTION” port and confiured in
the “”Front Panel” and make the proper adjustment to the selected map to achieve the inputed
air/fuel ratio.
(How to set)
• Input the A/F target value for the corresponding load and rpm points.
* Be sure to input “-” in the area where factory ecu is in the closed loop (ecu monitoring and
correcting by monitoring the factory O2 sensor signal).
* While the ecu is in closed loop, ecu will continuously adjust the ari/fuel ratio between 14~15.
During this time, A/F Target map feature will not function propelly since the ecu is making
adjustments.
* To force the ecu to go in to Open Loop, “Auxiliary Output Map” can be used.

more good stuff!
CilverSeliST205
Good stuff! Looks like Ultimate is there half way between a piggyback and ems, with all these features... I was wondering how does emanage adjusts injection and timing? which signals does it intercept and modify? Is it wired directly to the injectors?
presure2
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ May 25, 2006 - 11:31 AM) [snapback]437825[/snapback]

Good stuff! Looks like Ultimate is there half way between a piggyback and ems, with all these features... I was wondering how does emanage adjusts injection and timing? which signals does it intercept and modify? Is it wired directly to the injectors?

it intercepts the injectors directly, and you can adjust them independantly of timing, or you can adjust airflow (like the SAFC),
it intercepts the NE and IGF signals for crank and cam signals, and allows you to adjust timing thru that.
lagos
another really cool feature of the 'ultimate, is that once you do have the wideband, it has a map called "A/F Target".

thats the sh1t ! emanage really is worlds apart from an safc/btm setup
Defgeph
Manny, excellent work with all the research you are doing. We are learning right along with you man smile.gif I can't wait till you get this set up. You will again open up a new set of doors for our community.

This is a perfect example of what proper research can do. I'm really liking this setup, I see you having many sleepless nights tuning like a mad scientist. The E-Manage is gonna have wings.

Good stuff man woot.gif
Rayme
Are you saying that the BTM is kinda useless along wit ha SAFC?
presure2
well, for me, the BTM was usless.
the SAFCII does its job.
its just a crude form of doing so. wink.gif
CilverSeliST205
Any updates on this ? I can't let this thread go down like this smile.gif
presure2
naa, not really, ive been really broke, so there has been no progress.
presure2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3244&rd=1,1

WOOT.
finally.
once the unit gets here, ill get some really good pics of it, along with lots more info!
i've been talking to John Reed about working with me to get a good tune on the car, when horniak (itchyb) get his beast tuned.
if that goes as planned, things will REALLY start to get interesting here in the next couple months!
smile.gif smile.gif
x_itchy_b_x
NICE 5sfte emanage in the works.
Defgeph
Nice work ! You are the man.
lagos
thats awesome. glad you finally got it. cant wait to read about all the new adventures youll have with it. smile.gif
Silver94CelicaOwner
Manny, thats awesome news!! I wish you the best of luck tuning the car with the newfound capabilities provided with the EManage.....its going to be a BEAST when you get a good tune on the dyno.
Conwa
Does this unit come with al the sensors en harnesses voor just 530 Dollar...
presure2
QUOTE(Conwa @ Dec 12, 2006 - 1:25 PM) [snapback]509924[/snapback]

Does this unit come with al the sensors en harnesses voor just 530 Dollar...

no, if you want to use the 3 bar map, that is seperate.
i got the unit itself, and the harness for it, and the optional A/F harness ( extra 25$) for 578 shipped.
elvasoshexai
wow.. that's a really good price... is that the latest version d?
presure2
QUOTE(elvasoshexai @ Dec 13, 2006 - 11:24 AM) [snapback]510130[/snapback]

wow.. that's a really good price... is that the latest version d?

yup, its being drop shipped, right from greddy. smile.gif
presure2
ok, heres a "cheat sheet" wiring diagram that i put together in Excel, its obviously still untested, once i get the unit in and running using it, ill make a full how-to for the stickys.
if anyone spots any obvious mistakes or anything, please feel free to let me know.
IPB Image
for the full excel document click here:
Greddy Emanage Ultimate install cheat sheet (Right click save as)
NuclearHappineS
dude if you cropped that picture it would've been 1000 times more useful

I'm not going to be a 'nutswinger' and say 'good job' right now.

I'm gonna say congrats on the upgrade... but it's not a good job till i see you break some of your older records tongue.gif ... good luck with it man ...

time for 250whp... show me the power baby
presure2
QUOTE(NuclearHappineS @ Dec 14, 2006 - 11:00 AM) [snapback]510415[/snapback]

dude if you cropped that picture it would've been 1000 times more useful

I'm not going to be a 'nutswinger' and say 'good job' right now.

I'm gonna say congrats on the upgrade... but it's not a good job till i see you break some of your older records tongue.gif ... good luck with it man ...

time for 250whp... show me the power baby

lol nuke. look right below the pic, the file is available for D/L for your FULL viewing pleasure...lol..fixed the pic for better viewing
i just posted the pic for most of the guys on here that wanna get a quick peek at what it looks like, or are at work and not able to DL the file. wink.gif
no "nutswinging" needed, or wanted...lmao
to be honest, im not really after more hp with the 'ultimate for now, im more concerned with getting a much better tune on the car.
i hate the fact that i cant get good solid back to back knock free runs @ 12+psi with the SAFCII unless i mix in some race fuel.
once i can solidify the tune the way i want it, THEN i'll start working to get to 250whp wink.gif
presure2
another update on the goings on with my emanage ultimate experience...lol

Greddy has released an update for the software and firmware for the EU(emanage ultimate), and has made some changes to the way you set up the unit as well as small updates to the software to aid in tuning..
the main one that will be HUGE for all of us is the setup.
i have 2 specifc hurdles to overcome to get the EU installed and running on the 5sfte.
#1, was the wiring.
there is no wiring diagram for the 5sfe.
so, that meant that i had to make my own, which after some research, i got all figured out, with the help of some of you, and the BGB.
#2, is the fact that in the EU software setup, you needed to pick an engine code for your application.
while they do have alot of engines listed, (2nd and 3rd gen 3SGTE, 3SGE, 1&2ZZ, ect) they do not have the 5sfe.
here is a screenshot of the pulldown menu with some of the engines listed:

[attachmentid=782]

once you do that, it sets up your map sensor and crank and cam signal for you.
so, your basicly forced to choose from one of the toyota engines that closest matches ours.
which is a "little" bit of an issue, cause if you choose 3sge, it bases everything off a 1bar map, and if you choose 3sgte, its flapper(AFM) based.

with the update they recently released, they added a "universal" setting to the engine select screen, for all other applications, like ours.
so, what i will do, is use the universal setting, and since i know the distributor from the 3s series engines are the same operationally as the 5s, i use the setting from them, and the toyota 2 bar map setting (TY PR-2)
here is a screenshot with that all set up.

[attachmentid=783]

good stuff!
i also recieved the harness yesterday, it looked a little daunting at first...lol once i started going thru the wires and sorting out the ones i need, it got a lot better.
i think once i actually get working on it, it shouldnt take more than a couple hrs to get it all wired up.
smile.gif
the actual unit should be here monday or tuesday! biggrin.gif
shin
awesome manny. wish i could've kept the celi to try out the EU like you do. EU is more detail and easier to tune from how ya progressing compared to the afc
NuclearHappineS
you not pick 3sgte (PR) which should be a gen 3/4 ? which is a 3sgte with a map sensor for fueling ?
presure2
QUOTE(NuclearHappineS @ Dec 17, 2006 - 11:26 AM) [snapback]511168[/snapback]

you not pick 3sgte (PR) which should be a gen 3/4 ? which is a 3sgte with a map sensor for fueling ?

i prolly could, but IIRC the gen 3 map is a 2.5 , or 3 bar map.
regardless, ill be using the universal setting, and going from there.
WALKER
Best of Luck! I hope all works out great for you!
presure2
got the unit in today, its smaller than i pictured it to be, for some reason..lol
guess thats a good thing, it will be installed on top of my ECU.
if all goes as planned, i'll be installing it this weekend.
once i get it up and running, ill have alot more pics with screenshots of some of the corrections im making, ect.
good stuff to come! smile.gif
[attachmentid=784]
x_itchy_b_x
SICCCK. yeah isnt it crazy how small they are. i thought the same thing. i guess i associated ability with size, but we all know its the motion in the ocean.
NICE!!!!!!
Defgeph
Awesome dude, congrats !
keep us updated .....
presure2
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
its in, and running!!!!!!
a couple quirks to work out over the next few days or whatever, but its in, and already doing a better job than the SAFCII EVER could have.
i have about a 1/2hr worth of tuning time into it, and already i have some VERY good info to go on, and already have made some changes to the maps and what not..
the logging features on this thing are KILLER.
ill post some screenshots and what not tommorow sometime, its been a long day, being all pumped up all day has me feeling pretty drained right now...(being sick as a dog dont help at all!! kindasad.gif )
biggrin.gif
x_itchy_b_x
nice man!!! cant wait to hear more.
shin
NICE~. show us comparison of dyno charts after done~
presure2
ok guys...i have been very sick since last week, so i only have about an hr of tuning time into it, but here are a couple of screenshots of the injector adjustment map, timing adjustment map(which i havent even touched yet) and the datalog screen after datalogging.
the 2nd pic is a blown up view of a few seconds of datalogging.
im going to bed. kindasad.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image
playr158
Nice Manny, looks like its coming along well

welcome to the ecu tuning world smile.gif
good luck
lagos
I believe this graph shows us the recent seismic activities in California ? hahaha . Looks like this will keep you busy for a while, Manny. smile.gif

so whats the ass dyno telling you so far? i bet the car will really come alive if you take out some timing from 3-6grand WOT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.