Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so time for some sad, but also good news
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Valo666
So, in just about a month and a halfs time, im packing every thing up and moving for school. Im moving about 3 and a half hours away from my home. Gonna be right across the river from Detriot. So, since detroit has a pretty good crime rate, my parents were kind of paranoid about me bringing my car down there. They were affraid that if i keep it parked in the parking lot, its gonna get jacked. So, the sad news is, my celi, shez gonna b sittin under a car cover for almost a year frown.gif mad.gif Im kinda pissed off, but they think its for the best. So, they want me to find a "beater car". Somethin thats gonna be cheap on insurance, somethin thats not too much of a looker, and somethin thats gonna be easy and cheap to maintain. So i did some looking around at different cars i could get, looked into a few old cressidas, some camrys, some corollas, but couldnt find any thing i liked. So, my friend Tyler, just got his new car imported from Japan. He also bought a 72 Datsun 240Z as a daily driver for b4 it landed, unfortunatly, the Z needed quite a bit of work. So the body shop he deals with, loves old nissans. The owner offered to buy it off him, or maybe a trade. So the guy offered my friend a new paint job for his 180SX and also a 1977 Toyota Corolla SR5. Ty was kinda wondering why he would even want a 77 rolla, so the body shop guy told him, "oh, btw, its got an S14 blacktop SR20DET in it"..lol So even with that insentive, my friend still wasnt sure about it, he also didnt need another car. So, guess what my next car is gonna be? Gotta save up next paycheck b4 i can buy it. Its a complete car, runs, etc, only thing it reallly needs is paint, a bit of rust work (that the body shop is willing to do), and the interior put back together. So i figure, ok..a little less than 2k for the car, about another 350 for the rust work and painting it flat black, then just bring her home and put her back together, just..with a few new fun parts *cough* momo steeringwheel and 1 piece seat *cough*. So, this will mean that soon im no longer gonna be driving my celi, but it also means soon, i will be driving the sickest sleeper in ontario biggrin.gif . Ill still come float around the forums every so often, just figured i would give every one a heads up.
CelicaST202
yummy SR20DET just get another Celica 5th gen.
JFrost9
I hear ya...i move to the opposite side of Texas, a 7 hr drive, in august...fortunately for me im taking my celica with me! That corolla is gonna be sick.
CelicaQT
Valo, Detroit isn't so bad. Everyone hates on Detroit, it's picking up you know! hehe biggrin.gif The thing is it all depends on where you are drving. If you hit a red light just GO, don't stop!

Exactly where are you going to school anyways? Here in Detroit, Wayne State Univ.? Or in Windsor, University of Windsor? If you're not going to be in Detroit, then there's no worry! biggrin.gif

I drive my celi downtown alot, haven't had any problems. *knock on wood* Grant I don't go to College there, but I've drivin my car downtown, left it parked in well known areas and my car has been fine.

But ya know, Toronto definitely has better roads than Michigan. So there's actually nothing wrong with not taking your car here for school. Leave it in T.O!! At least your mileage won't rack up driving the 4 hrs here and back.

Good luck with your new "beater"!! biggrin.gif
Valo666
i know its not that bad, but my parents are just stupid. Im actually going to St. Clair college in windsor. Plus, with my car, i dont have tinted windows, i have a crappy alarm thats been on the frizt for like 2 or 3 months, and also red is a big target colour. Plus yea, the drivin 4 hours back and forth is gonna be great for the KM on my car. Oh well, if i get the rolla its gonna be drive down once, then just use it for drivin around the city.

i would get a 5th gen, but the thing is, my insurance is stupid on my 6th gen, and its still pretty high on a 5th. My old 87 non turbo automatic supra was like 150 less than my celica. The rolla is really cheap on insurance.
pure_dx
a daily driven sr20det? get ready for spend $$$ for maintenance, turboed cars are not easy to take care of, especially in the long-run, and the sr5 is rwd, have fun in the winter
celicast3sgte
^^^ Go home
Valo666
^^^^ lol. rwd + winter = fun. My first car was a 87 supra, so im used to driving rwd in the winter. as for SR daily driven, not a big deal and not that expensive. My buddy tyler had a daily driven sr20 s13 for a year and a half and a daily driven turboed KA24DE daily driven for 6 months b4 he sold his car. He even has a 180sx with a CA18DET in it right now. Plus whats different between say someone drivin daily with an SR as opposed to some one driving daily a 3s swapped? Plus, my buddy who im buyin the car off with the 180SX owns and runs a shop that deals with alot of old school and highperformance Nissans, so any thing needed for my motor, get him 2 buy it and ship it at cost. To me, all it means is using a higher grade oil and changing the oil every 4000km. And considering this car is gonna be for going to and from work, gettin food and groceries and maybe going out with friends. Its not gonna be like driving my celi now. Also, do you really think i would be interested in a FWD SR swapped 77 rolla? the RWD is one of the main reasons i want this car. RWD is soooo much better and so much fun compaired to FWD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.