Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2g mistu eclipse or 6g celi
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
DeathWing
well here is the deal....maybe in 1 or 2 months i may have the chance to change my 6g celi st hatchback 95 (auto)for a 2g (97) mitsubishi eclipse gst(manual), i was analizing the pros and cons of the car change considerating price and stuff (if i get the eclipse i wont be able to sell it for a while), im thinking about getting the eclispe but while i decide i thought that it might be a good idea to post it here so i can read your opinions why you would or wouldnt do it...
both cars are in excellent condition
any experiences? opinions? thoughts? are welcome

(here is a list of things i consider)
-the mitsu has almost double power considerating its a lil more heavier
-mitsu engine...you cant give it even 1 extra hp or engine blows, comes to the limit, very low mechanical upgrades, in the other hand the celi is fully customisable
-the always economy vs preformance and power vs durability of components
-externally the mitsu its a lot less externally modificable
-the celi has 1 minor hit wich i think it has no colateral effect on the car, the mitsu is hit free
celicurr
just sell the auto celi and buy a 5spd biggrin.gif
for reliability and looks, toyota all the way smile.gif
Heytalktoryan
QUOTE(DeathWing @ Aug 5, 2006 - 6:22 PM) [snapback]465853[/snapback]

well here is the deal....maybe in 1 or 2 months i may have the chance to change my 6g celi st hatchback 95 (auto)for a 2g (97) mitsubishi eclipse gst(manual), i was analizing the pros and cons of the car change considerating price and stuff (if i get the eclipse i wont be able to sell it for a while), im thinking about getting the eclispe but while i decide i thought that it might be a good idea to post it here so i can read your opinions why you would or wouldnt do it...

-mitsu engine...you cant give it even 1 extra hp or engine blows, comes to the limit, very low mechanical upgrades, in the other hand the celi is fully customisable
-the celi has 1 minor hit wich i think it has no colateral effect on the car, the mitsu is hit free

dont know where you got your information from but you cant give the mitsu 1 more hp or it blows? where the hell did you hear that from? the 4g63t engine loves boost, slap a 16g and a front mount in there and youll be pushing 300 alongside other subtle upgrades.I had about 315 on mine.Personally id pick the celica bc gas prices are goign up, but when it comes to modifying between the cars eclipse>celica.Theres so many choices for the eclipse rather than the celica,just get turbo upgrades from the evo and youll be goign fast as hell.
bloodrain
QUOTE(Heytalktoryan @ Aug 5, 2006 - 8:36 PM) [snapback]465876[/snapback]

QUOTE(DeathWing @ Aug 5, 2006 - 6:22 PM) [snapback]465853[/snapback]

dont know where you got your information from but you cant give the mitsu 1 more hp or it blows? where the hell did you hear that from? the 4g63t engine loves boost, slap a 16g and a front mount in there and youll be pushing 300 alongside other subtle upgrades.I had about 315 on mine.Personally id pick the celica bc gas prices are goign up, but when it comes to modifying between the cars eclipse>celica.Theres so many choices for the eclipse rather than the celica,just get turbo upgrades from the evo and youll be goign fast as hell.

x2
the eclipses and talons (i know there the same car) have a 'bad' name because of a new bad models. Although there not nearly as reliable as a Toyota, but what is? Anytime you change from a toyota your ALWAYS going to lose reliability. I'd still stick with the celi, mainly for gas. But if you got some extra money to spend and don't mind fixing a part every now and then go with the clipse.
celi_gt_racer
i had a good laugh laugh.gif - 4g-63t done right = monster of a motor ... very reliable if you have the capability and intelligence to fuel tune the darn thing, plus there a ton more "exterior modifications" to be had for the 2g eclipses/talons than for 6gc's ....... i just want to know who gave you ur info on 2g turbo eclipses....haha - the only downside is the 7 bolt block you would be getting compared to the first gen's stouter 6 bolt, because 7 bolts tend to have something called crankwalk wink.gif
DeathWing
ya the infamous crankwalk ive read a lot in 2g eclipse forums...any power modifications seems to make this engine faliure come sooner, unless u disarm the engine and give inside engine maintenance, thing i cant do
im very worried about the crankwalking on eclise frown.gif the car is 78k miles

some selected topics:
http://www.team-2g.com/mitsubishi-eclipse/...light=crankwalk

site:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/walkingcrankshaft.htm

w pics:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipse.../roysbadday.htm
celi_gt_racer
w/ 2g eclipses - higher mileage crankwalk is inevitible ... i highly recommend the 4g-63t motor, but if you pick up that eclipse you might want to start shopping around for a 1st gen 6-bolt shortblock, and adapter kit to hook your transmission to the new assembly - then no worries, you can do good enough fuel tuning w/ DSM-link so you dont need a full EMS ... then you have a champ of a car smile.gif
KB-2
stick w/ teh celi.....everyone ive know that has/ had a eclipse says they suck, and most of them are done after 80,000 miles or soo. they just....die.
celica all the way, who cares if the other one is faster. celica looks cooler
snapshotgt
keep the celica and swap it. wink.gif
BlackSTX
Keep the Celica. If you could buy the Eclipse new, maybe, but definitely not used.
illneversellmycelli
eclispe handling sucks unless it's bee n redone, i test drove one ack in the day and did not like it, my frined has a 98 clispe, don't like, and my mom has a 03 sypder, dont like , cuz the sterring is twitchy and they rock when you go fast in the turns, they dont bite and hugs the turns like my celli, plus my mom's model is an o3 vert, and the roof leaks already! and we had to repalce the battery yesterday, btw her is just the gs version.

but for handling and relaibilty celli all the way! I can't wait till i have enuf to swap
bloodrain
ya the 4g63t is one of the best motors ever built, its right up there with the 2jz, 3sgte, and the rb25.
burneeed
QUOTE(celi_gt_racer @ Aug 6, 2006 - 12:55 PM) [snapback]466037[/snapback]

i had a good laugh laugh.gif - 4g-63t done right = monster of a motor ... very reliable if you have the capability and intelligence to fuel tune the darn thing, plus there a ton more "exterior modifications" to be had for the 2g eclipses/talons than for 6gc's ....... i just want to know who gave you ur info on 2g turbo eclipses....haha - the only downside is the 7 bolt block you would be getting compared to the first gen's stouter 6 bolt, because 7 bolts tend to have something called crankwalk wink.gif

reliable is not in the same sentance as the following... DSM,Eclipse,tsi,gsx,4g,1g,2g.... and the list goes on.....

I have seen so many of them break at the track... atleast 5-10 a year... and i prolly end up at the track once a week!

if your not looking for speed go with the celica. There nice and reliable. Especially the st. and in my opinion the whole elicpse thing was played out 4 years ago
celi_gt_racer
4g63 technology is advancing everyday - they can be reliable as a toyota if built right (the motor that is) ... mitsubishi/DSM basically took the best motor they had and put it in the crappiest chassis, w/ the crappiest transmissions - you cant claim that the 4g63 is unreliable - u CAN say that everything attached to the 4g63 is bound to break sooner or later...i'm not arguing w/ that point, and the people modifying these engines "shotilly" dont help w/ there reliability issues - most idiots pick up a 1st gen DSM, make there own boost controller, turn up the boost and blow up their motor (precisely in that order) but that's the owner's fault- not the motor/ any car enthusiast w/ sense would know better. You just have to build the motor the right way, and fuel tune it well - then wait for transmission parts, axles, or transfer cases to break wink.gif

QUOTE(celi_gt_racer @ Aug 6, 2006 - 1:18 PM) [snapback]466064[/snapback]

4g technology is advancing everyday - they can be reliable as a toyota if built right (the motor that is) ... mitsubishi/DSM basically took the best motor they had and put it in the crappiest chassis, w/ the crappiest transmissions - you cant claim that the 4g is unreliable - u CAN say that everything attached to the 4g is bound to break sooner or later...i'm not arguing that point. You just have to build the motor the right way, and fuel tune it well - then wait for transmission parts, axles, or transfer cases to break wink.gif

and dont even start me on the 3rd gen eclipse - they are the crappiest piece of car known to man and shouldnt even be associated w/ the first generation or second generation. I have no experience w/ the 4th gen but assume they are just as crappy smile.gif
2003cbgts
save urself from a big headache and get a celica.. do the right thing buddy... celica....
burneeed
QUOTE(celi_gt_racer @ Aug 6, 2006 - 3:19 PM) [snapback]466064[/snapback]

4g63 technology is advancing everyday - they can be reliable as a toyota if built right (the motor that is) ... mitsubishi/DSM basically took the best motor they had and put it in the crappiest chassis, w/ the crappiest transmissions - you cant claim that the 4g63 is unreliable - u CAN say that everything attached to the 4g63 is bound to break sooner or later...i'm not arguing w/ that point, and the people modifying these engines "shotilly" dont help w/ there reliability issues - most idiots pick up a 1st gen DSM, make there own boost controller, turn up the boost and blow up their motor (precisely in that order) but that's the owner's fault- not the motor/ any car enthusiast w/ sense would know better. You just have to build the motor the right way, and fuel tune it well - then wait for transmission parts, axles, or transfer cases to break wink.gif

QUOTE(celi_gt_racer @ Aug 6, 2006 - 1:18 PM) [snapback]466064[/snapback]

4g technology is advancing everyday - they can be reliable as a toyota if built right (the motor that is) ... mitsubishi/DSM basically took the best motor they had and put it in the crappiest chassis, w/ the crappiest transmissions - you cant claim that the 4g is unreliable - u CAN say that everything attached to the 4g is bound to break sooner or later...i'm not arguing that point. You just have to build the motor the right way, and fuel tune it well - then wait for transmission parts, axles, or transfer cases to break wink.gif

and dont even start me on the 3rd gen eclipse - they are the crappiest piece of car known to man and shouldnt even be associated w/ the first generation or second generation. I have no experience w/ the 4th gen but assume they are just as crappy smile.gif

Once you touch a 4g with th elightest mod **** starts to break. Yes its a great engine... but the amount of down time + repairs its not worth it. You can have something much faster. Dsm's just suck period.
joehernandez
yeah man, go for toyota, i have a lot of friends who complain that mitsubishi cars fail a lot, toyota cars are forever.
twolownissan2002
6gc all day long baby got to love them
pure_dx
this is a celica board, it's going to be bias, what are you gonna expect people to say? lol

but seriously, dsm and reliable dont belong in the same sentence, lol, if i was going to get a dsm, i would get a 1st gen, i knew somebody with a 450 whp 1st gen eclipse, he knew everything about dsms and told me a bunch of crap about dsms, such as the 1st gen being better, so i'm taking his word for it. Although the 2nd gen does look nice, i've heard of more problems from them than the 1st gen.

if you're gonna get the dsm, be sure you have lots of $$$$ in the bank before you start modding it, good luck and keep us updated

oh yeah and if you havn't heard, "boost gets you laid" biggrin.gif wink.gif
laff09
I owned a 1g 1991 GS, 120k miles, prolly 5k in repairs in between 106k and 120k. Eclipses don't just break, because when one thing goes wrong, then your replace it, and then something else goes wrong. Endless cycle of replacing timing belts, alternators, window motors, seals, axels, etc oh and don;t forget about the $800 valve guides that took my old mechanic 3 months to put in. before it was my car, it was my fathers, and he drives slow....so I know it wasn't due to driver abuse....before I had it wink.gif
lagos
celica = slow but reliable.
eclipse= fast but unreliable

the choice is yours smile.gif
creamed_corn
The very fact that you're debating this means you haven't driven either yet.

Just go drive both, see how you feel, and your question will be answered. You'll end up leanring towards one or the other based on your criteria and what's important to you. No need to banter about like this.

I love these car debate threads... save your breath; go test drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.