Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top Gas Mods?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
phokur
I just bought a 94 Celica GT to save on gas traveling to and from college. I really like the atmosphere of this board, you all seem alot easier going than other car discussion boards I've been on. Anyway, I was wondering what mods you all have done that has increased your gas mileage?
jdg371
QUOTE(phokur @ Aug 13, 2006 - 9:41 PM) [snapback]468658[/snapback]

I just bought a 94 Celica GT to save on gas traveling to and from college. I really like the atmosphere of this board, you all seem alot easier going than other car discussion boards I've been on. Anyway, I was wondering what mods you all have done that has increased your gas mileage?

a proper tune up would be key to an old engine. Tire pressure plays a big factor on it also, with 15s The recommened is 33psi all around.

Hmm, new air filter, clean your TB, 87Octane only, get off the WOT, lol what else

- Oh yea.. welcome to the forums!
phokur
Thanks for the welcome! The tune-up is a good idea. I have 16" wheels on it now, but I can check the suggested psi. I figure the air filter is a good one. Just like an ebay K&N would increase it you think? How about exhaust, headers... stuff like that? Thanks for the reply!
phokur
Also, what would a proper tune up consist of? Plugs, cap, and wires?
kenjamatic
after i did my mods(cai, headers, cat back exhaust) i noticed a change in power/reaction and got better mpg...but it's prob because i got a high milage car(over 200k) and after the mods it just made it a lil better biggrin.gif....

edit: i also got a new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and o2 sensors too...oh yeah welcome to the forum...6gc.net is the greatest...
phokur
Mine is 170k, so it's high mileage too. Thanks for the welcome! What is a cai?
AllTrac96
i heard changing your 02 sensor every 60k helps will get you better mileage.
phokur
Cool I'll add the O2 sensor to the list. Thanks!
j0e_p3t
cai = cold air intake. you can get a great one for around 40 bucks from ebay. check the engine/trans/maintenance stickies for info. and if you really wanna save gas, get one of those gas savers from ebay too. plus they add 20 hp. haha, jk. welcome to the site.
Batman722
QUOTE(phokur @ Aug 13, 2006 - 10:14 PM) [snapback]468671[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome! The tune-up is a good idea. I have 16" wheels on it now, but I can check the suggested psi. I figure the air filter is a good one. Just like an ebay K&N would increase it you think? How about exhaust, headers... stuff like that? Thanks for the reply!

bigger higher flowing exhaust and a header will ususally cause a little worse mileage but better responce and a little hp. One of the first mods way back when was a short ram for my ST. I actually got better mileage with it over the stock box.
Bitter
whatever the door sticker says, add about 2 psi. you'll get better mileage without giving up much in terms of ride quality or handling.
phokur
Awesome, thanks guys! So the header and exhaust will drop mpg? For the cai, I've heard the simple k&n saves gas, maybe it's because you have the ram intake Batman722. Like a turbo, I think a ram intake forces induction and lowers mpg, but just an eBay k&n lets the engine take what it needs easier?
laff09
QUOTE(phokur @ Aug 14, 2006 - 8:06 AM) [snapback]468773[/snapback]

Awesome, thanks guys! So the header and exhaust will drop mpg? For the cai, I've heard the simple k&n saves gas, maybe it's because you have the ram intake Batman722. Like a turbo, I think a ram intake forces induction and lowers mpg, but just an eBay k&n lets the engine take what it needs easier?

Cheap gas upgrade? I assume you have a stock air box, so get a CD and put it in the tubing right before it goes into the box/filter. Trust me, its likea 'Tornado' that costs .69 rather than 69.99
phokur
lmao, where is the patented "spiraling vortex of power" with the cd trick?
LewFX
why not buy that plastic thingy that connects two 2 liters and makes a tornado affer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.