Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: quick question about cleaning
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Akira_g4
ive heard from a buddy of mine that it is bad to wash your car using windex or dish washing liquid, diluted in water. says it mess up the paint or something like that. is this true or is he pulling my leg here?
Coomer
Yes, it's bad. Dish washing detergent is too harsh for use on cars.

And can you remove your animated avatar? Animated avatar images aren't allowed.
Akira_g4
QUOTE(Coomer @ Aug 16, 2006 - 1:52 AM) [snapback]469505[/snapback]

oopps sorry about the avatar, ive removed it. anyways, so its just better to use special car soap like Meguires car soap, that pink stuff, right?
Coomer
QUOTE(Akira_g4 @ Aug 15, 2006 - 11:58 PM) [snapback]469508[/snapback]

QUOTE(Coomer @ Aug 16, 2006 - 1:52 AM) [snapback]469505[/snapback]

oopps sorry about the avatar, ive removed it. anyways, so its just better to use special car soap like Meguires car soap, that pink stuff, right?

Yeah, any car wash soap will be better than dish soap. I use Meguiar's Gold Class car wash solution personally.
Akira_g4
Cool cool thanks for the help
presure2
the only time you should use dish soap is when you want to strip off all the old wax on your car.
ExSane
OMG! All this time.... (sigh)
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(ExSane @ Aug 16, 2006 - 8:30 AM) [snapback]469557[/snapback]

OMG! All this time.... (sigh)

hahaah u kiddding me?...
Galcobar
QUOTE(presure2 @ Aug 16, 2006 - 5:51 AM) [snapback]469553[/snapback]

the only time you should use dish soap is when you want to strip off all the old wax on your car.

Actually, avoid it even then. The detergents in dish soap are quite effective at stripping wax, and the oils that are part of your paint. A large part of what a non-abrasive polish does is ensure there are enough oils in your paint -- stripping them out unnecessarily is not good for paint longevity.

Best safe wax removal is a clay bar, or a paint cleaner.
RapidGT
Ive only used washing up liquid once until my other half told me what he does i was mortified mad.gif
Like someone already said it strips of every single layer of wax that you have ever put on mad.gif
Maguires car cleaning stuff is really good or if you want a cheaper range Auto Glym
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.