Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blow through setup?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
zipstrips
anyone on here ever try it?

for thoes that dont know what im asking, its taking the AFM and placing it after the turbo but before the throttle body.
lagos
there have been some topics about this on celicatech. while in theory it would work, you have to remember that the afm wasnt designed to read air in this way. the flapper door would get slamed open and closed everytime you boost, and the circtury inside probably wouldnt be able to stand up to the heat coming in from the turbo.

here is the only pic ive seen of someone doing this
IPB Image

and here is the thread i was thinking about..
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18935
Kwanza26
you're gonna get bad fuelling because the AFM will constanly read the wrong intake temps and air volume. You typically always want the afm as close to the filter and the open air as possible...
burneeed
Car would run so bad ... not the right kind of air you would want to go through the afm.
zipstrips
QUOTE(burneeed @ Aug 17, 2006 - 11:50 PM) [snapback]470184[/snapback]

Car would run so bad ... not the right kind of air you would want to go through the afm.

have you ever tired it to know it will run bad? im just curious if anyone has done this, and lago's noted at least someone has done it.. i know its very popular on the sr20 motors...
Dr_Tweak
If I were to do it, I would find a different AFM (ideally a hot-wire type) and use a piggyback to retune the signal.

-Doc
Kwanza26
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Aug 18, 2006 - 9:36 PM) [snapback]470383[/snapback]

have you ever tired it to know it will run bad? im just curious if anyone has done this, and lago's noted at least someone has done it.. i know its very popular on the sr20 motors...

that's because MAF and AFM aren't the same thing. (SR20)MAF = no flapper door... (gen1/gen2 3SGTE)AFM = flapper door
jgreening
Out of curiousity, what would you hope to gain by doing this?
zipstrips
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Aug 19, 2006 - 4:06 PM) [snapback]470669[/snapback]

QUOTE(zipstrips @ Aug 18, 2006 - 9:36 PM) [snapback]470383[/snapback]

that's because MAF and AFM aren't the same thing. (SR20)MAF = no flapper door... (gen1/gen2 3SGTE)AFM = flapper door

no need to insult me, i do know the difference. lagos pointed out it has been done before. just seeing if anyone here 1st hand has done it.

jgreening,
and the reason to doing this is pretty much the samre reason you rec. your BOV.
Kwanza26
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Aug 20, 2006 - 2:41 AM) [snapback]470710[/snapback]

no need to insult me, i do know the difference. lagos pointed out it has been done before. just seeing if anyone here 1st hand has done it.

jgreening,
and the reason to doing this is pretty much the samre reason you rec. your BOV.

i'm not insulting you... simply responding to your statements...
burneeed
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Aug 18, 2006 - 4:36 PM) [snapback]470383[/snapback]

QUOTE(burneeed @ Aug 17, 2006 - 11:50 PM) [snapback]470184[/snapback]

there afm works differently than ours. You can completely unplug a sr20 afm and the car will run just doesnt hit boost.

ours just a little bit of tampering the car wont run. our cars are soo different from an sr20.

Give it a shot....... the car isnt going to run right... I dont know where in pa you are but I am working on a swapped 6gc now.... I dont know how far away you are from pittsburgh but you can come check it out if you would like... blow through just isnt a good idea.
jgreening
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Aug 19, 2006 - 9:41 PM) [snapback]470710[/snapback]

reason to doing this is pretty much the samre reason you rec. your BOV.

hmmm....perhaps just recirculate then. Maybe I am missing something. confused.gif
zipstrips
just something different. i am curious how if/and how well it was working if anyone had done this. just exploreing other options. a blow throu setup can clean up a lot in the engine bay aswell.

and an sr wont run without the MAF signal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.