Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
BluuFire
So I was driving to a job interview when all of the sudden I push my A/C button and my engine revs drop to about 300 or so rpm. So i pull over and tried to start my car up again and the engine would crank but would not turn over. So I had to get my car towed to a local mechanic to have them look at it. They give me a call the next day and said they started it up right away and it ran fine. At this point I was really confused... I went to go pick it up earlier today and got it back and started driving away. I got one block away from the place and it died on me again so I got it back to the shop and he takes a look at it. He checked it over alittle bit and he says he thinks its a bad fuel pump.

First off, does this sound like a bad fuel pump to you guys/gals?
Also, if it is the fuel pump, what is the best brand to go with?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Sorry, Im done ranting...It just peevs me when a mechanic looks over things that should have been looked at in the first place.
LewFX
maybe: bad 0/2 sensor, clogged aic, does it only happen when a/c is on?
BluuFire
No it happens all the time. It will be fine right after you start up but as soon as you get on the gas, A/C or not, the revs all drop like crazy. He tried putting the car in drive and then pushing the brakes to try to get it to do it and he made it sound like he knew for sure that it was a fuel pump
Bitter
it could be the fuel pump, the best brand to get is denso.
BluuFire
QUOTE(Bitter @ Aug 29, 2006 - 4:25 PM) [snapback]474198[/snapback]

it could be the fuel pump, the best brand to get is denso.

Hey thanks Ill keep that in mind!
Rayme
Might be the coil going bad...fuel pumps RARELY goes out on our car..keep that in mind..and you can test it pretty easily.

I also had that problem with my car, it was randomly stalling, turned out to the the coolant temp sensor (very important sensor for fuel mix).
K-ESD
if you need a OEM pump, i have one. PM me
BluuFire
Hey thanks for your guys inputs. I just got my car back from the shop and found out it just need spark plug wires... Thank God it was that and not something more expensive. The reason it was the wires was that one of the wires somehow got a hole in it and so it it ground out the wire (or something). While one of the mechanics was checking the wires (while the car was on...real smart guy) a flame shot out and burned the dude. (I guess my car doesn't like to be messed with) Not real sure how the flame shot out. But yeah, so its fixed!
n1ckz0r
i had this same thing happen to me in my 95 ford aerostar back in the day, I replaced the fuel filter and it fixed the problem
alltracman78
It could have also been the fuel filter clogged.
Obviously not in your case, but that's a good symptom.

QUOTE(BluuFire @ Aug 29, 2006 - 4:07 PM) [snapback]474193[/snapback]

It just peevs me when a mechanic looks over things that should have been looked at in the first place.

Alot of people are IDIOTS when it comes to thier cars, and don't explain it at all.....
If you told him exactly what happened, how it happened, disregard.
But,
I am a tech for Toyota. We get ALOT of people bringing in cars with "issues" [most are still under warrenty] when there is nothing wrong.
For instance, I just had a 06 Tundra on Fri that the owner complained it didn't idle right [common one] and the cruise control wasn't working. These trucks have a electronic throttle, so I figured the throttle was bad, but I always check the problem first.
So I spend 45 minutes letting the truck warm up [to get normal idle] and drive around messing with the cruise control. Absolutely fine. NO problems what so ever.

I come back, and find out later that the problem was when the brakes were applied, and then resume pushed on the CC the rpms would raise way up while the truck accelerated. And he knew something was wrong "because I've had CC before and it doesn't work that way".
Perfect example of why techs don't [normally] spend much time trouble shooting [some] cars that come in.
If you bring it it with a supposed problem, and the tech can't duplicate it, he's not going to spend alot of time checking things out.

So you drop your car off saying it won't start. Or it died while you were driving it.
I hop in and it starts right up.
Unless you give me some kind of indication, I'm going to do a quick look over, then figure you are an idiot, and pull the car out.
Bitter
QUOTE(alltracman78 @ Sep 3, 2006 - 1:06 PM) [snapback]475761[/snapback]

It could have also been the fuel filter clogged.
Obviously not in your case, but that's a good symptom.

QUOTE(BluuFire @ Aug 29, 2006 - 4:07 PM) [snapback]474193[/snapback]

It just peevs me when a mechanic looks over things that should have been looked at in the first place.

Alot of people are IDIOTS when it comes to thier cars, and don't explain it at all.....
If you told him exactly what happened, how it happened, disregard.
But,
I am a tech for Toyota. We get ALOT of people bringing in cars with "issues" [most are still under warrenty] when there is nothing wrong.
For instance, I just had a 06 Tundra on Fri that the owner complained it didn't idle right [common one] and the cruise control wasn't working. These trucks have a electronic throttle, so I figured the throttle was bad, but I always check the problem first.
So I spend 45 minutes letting the truck warm up [to get normal idle] and drive around messing with the cruise control. Absolutely fine. NO problems what so ever.

I come back, and find out later that the problem was when the brakes were applied, and then resume pushed on the CC the rpms would raise way up while the truck accelerated. And he knew something was wrong "because I've had CC before and it doesn't work that way".
Perfect example of why techs don't [normally] spend much time trouble shooting [some] cars that come in.
If you bring it it with a supposed problem, and the tech can't duplicate it, he's not going to spend alot of time checking things out.

So you drop your car off saying it won't start. Or it died while you were driving it.
Unless you give me some kind of indication, I'm going to do a quick look over, then figure you are an idiot, and pull the car out.

you make it sound like its not your job to diagnose an intermittent problem? well it is. it sucks because its difficult sometimes, but when you do get a real intermittent issue you shouldnt just brush it aside so easily. true, alot of warrany complaints are due to id10t problems, but there are some geniuenly odd intermittent problems out there.

case in point, a teacher of mine was a GM tech before he moved up to teaching at the training center. he had a woman come in about 5 times saying she heard voices in the back of her car. they all thought she was nuts and couldnt hear anything and wrote her off as a whackjob. she went around to several dealers in the area until she came back to where he worked again. this time they took the car over night. just before closing he hopped in to give it one more check and....he heard voices too!! well at night some radio signals are stronger because the ionosphere is calmer (not facing the sun) and the car was parked outside (not in the metal garage). that particular car had a rear amp for the back speakers. the wires leading from the radio to the amp were picking up faint faint faint signals and the amp was boosting them to just barely audible levels. so what sounded like an insane woman was a legitimate problem! they wrapped the wires in foil tape, grounded the foil tape, and the issue went right away.
alltracman78
QUOTE(Bitter @ Sep 3, 2006 - 1:37 PM) [snapback]475768[/snapback]
you make it sound like its not your job to diagnose an intermittent problem?

No, that is not what I said.

I have absolutely no problem trying to find an intermittent problem.
I actually enjoy it more than doing maintenance. It gives me a challenge and keeps me from getting bored...
I enjoy learning new things on cars....

Put it this way.
If I bring my cellphone into the store and tell them it doesn't work, and they turn it on, and it works, they will give it back to me. Probably thinking I'm an idiot....
What I neglected to tell them was it doesn't work when it's really cold.
So they don't look for that, and don't find out that one of the connections is just loose enough to have no contact when it is below 40*.
Or that it only does it when I talk with it between my ear and sholder.
Because the flip top hyperotates when I hold it against my ear with my shoulder, and this causes one of the wires to lose connection.

You need to be as specific as you can when your explaining a problem to a tech.
If you don't/won't take the time, I'm not going to waste MY time......
If I have no indication there IS a problem beyond you telling me there is, I am not going to look too hard for one. There are WAY too many instances of people wasting alot of time because of it.
Do you want to wait another 45 min while I mess with some idiots CC that he swears isn't working right because he's had CC before and it doesn't work that way? I wouldn't.
Now if you tell me all you know is it happens sometimes, I know to look for an intermittent problem.
Even if you can't perfectly explain it, I know to at least look for something a little strange....

Bitter
well in that case you have a crappy service writer whom you need to go smack around a bit.
cheeco
not to mention the time you waste, looking for an imaginary problem because it wasnt explained well, comes outta the techs pocket. although 90% of the time i find its the service writers being the retards.
alltracman78
Oh, that definitly happens too.
And there are quite a few times when the customer actually explains what's wrong...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.