Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Control Valve
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Killswitch
Where is the Air Control Valve and what is it?
hurley97
the idle air control valve?

my assumption is that it controls your revs at idle, keeps the revs above the stall point.
i know someone with a bmw and when hes at idle it acts as if hes reving, the rpms go up and down and occassionally it'll fall too low and stall without him doing anything. Dustin told me he has a bad idle/clutch air control valve.
Bitter
IAC - is a small needle valve which is moved back and forth from its seat under neath the throttle body by an electromagnetic coil which is duty cycled by the PCM when the throttle plate is read as being closed by the throttle position sensor.
hurley97
from the Advanced Auto Parts website:

The IAC helps regulate the amount of air that enters the engine at idle. You can often adjust and even replace the IAC in less time than it takes to drop off and pick up the vehicle at a service station.

Step 1
IPB Image
The IAC valve is located on the throttle body. First, disconnect the battery's negative cable (unless the service manual advises against it) and unplug the IAC's electrical connection.

Step 2
IPB Image
The IAC valve typically attaches to the throttle body with two screws, which might be Torx-headed.

Step 3
IPB Image
With the IAC removed, clean any dirt and debris from its mounting hole.

Step 4
IPB Image
IAC problems are often in their valve-pintle extension shafts (old on the left, new on right). Consult a service manual for proper length and screw the shaft inward if necessary. Make sure the O-ring is good, then reinstall the IAC. If the trouble code persists, replace the IAC.

hope thats what your looking for. smile.gif
maybe someone can provide more specific infor for our cars.
Killswitch
Yea thats it. Someone told me to spray carb cleaner in there to clean it out.
TurboZo
QUOTE(Killswitch @ Sep 21, 2006 - 12:19 PM) [snapback]482279[/snapback]

Yea thats it. Someone told me to spray carb cleaner in there to clean it out.

are you having any issues with a cold start? You can check if the IAC is working by jumping two pins in the diag box. I think it was pin E1 and TE1 but don't remember. Jumping these pins takes the idle up to about 1500 then back down. If this works, the IAC is ok. I removed my IAC and cleaned it with intake/carb cleaner. there was a lot of crap on it and the valve was stuck closed. after cleaning it, I connected the electrical leads to the battery to check that the valve was functioning correctly. There are three pins, + in the middle and two - on the sides. one - is to open the valve and the other to close it completely. When taking the IAC off the throttle body, be careful with the 4 screws..they are soft and tend to get ruined.

-zo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.