Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to improve speed (1994 Celica ST)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
iatmarketing
Hello,

I am a proud 1994 Toyota Celica owner. Recently I repainted the car black (with blue pearl).

I know next to nothing about cars. Never had the time to learn, never was too interested.

I drive a 2001 Honda Civic and this 1994 Celica has been sitting in the garage for a while. Although it's a great car!

Currently the car has a bad engine (from not changing oil when I first got it). The engine must be replaced.
What would you suggest to replace this engine with?

I am looking for something better than I currently have (possibly a celica gt engine?). I want the entire swap to be under $2500 and NOT screw anything else up in the car.

Keep in mind the car is AUTOMATIC.

I am also looking to improve the speed of this 'new engine' without putting in a turbo or changing the transmission to manual . What do you suggest I buy?

1. Cold Air Intake?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Please advise! I would be really glad if you guys can help!

BLADDER_MASTER
Intake, exhaust, headers, carbon fiber body parts, lightweight wheels, SAFC, and NOS is all I can think of.
Bitter
3sgte swap or 4age swap.
celica47
There is one other option also, v6 swap. IF do a search for v6 swap, you'll everything you need to know. ANd Nick or (K-ESD) lives in Canada some where i believe.
iatmarketing
Thanks for the suggestions...

any more?

How about regular engines?

Something that won't require TOO MUCH modifications of other parts...?

Maybe used celica GT engine?

Anything else?
j0e_p3t
a 5sfe will require almost as much work as a 3sgte. and the extra 25 hp wouldn't be worth it. might as well go the extra step and get a 3sgte. if that's out of your price range, get either a 4age or 4agze.
zipstrips
sounds like all you want is stock with the bolts ons. although if you want more 4age sounds fine for you. esp with a lower budget.
iatmarketing
Can I use the 4agze engine with my stock automatic transmission? Or do I have to change to another automatic transmission?

Is the installation complicated?

Would an engine like this fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-4AGZE-S...sspagenameZWDVW
iatmarketing
Any more suggestions, please!
95celgt
that motors rusty as sh**, your easiest option would be to get a new 7afe and do the bolt on's. The best thing you could ever do to make it feel quick and fun to drive is convert to a manual tranny
j0e_p3t
you can just turbo your st. a few people have an auto 7afte. and if you're looking for engines, try japan motor import.
n1ckz0r
I too have a 94, black st... I just bought it, the cold air intake was INSANE. made a huge difference imo, in both gas mileage and speed... my 0-60 dropped like 2-3 seconds. I also am about to replace my headers, and i was either thinking about NOS or a turbo, both require money to upkeep, or so i've heard. I'd do teh CAI first. I did mine myself using the how-to article and a little bit of my own twist. If you want i can get a few pictures on here for you to see... As far as power the ST is kinda limited though. You wont be able to compete with other modded vehicles but you sure will be able to beat some stock ones...
Snodalo
just wondering, but how are u gonna do the swap if u dont know anything about cars?
hitcachi
QUOTE(n1ckz0r @ Sep 25, 2006 - 12:24 AM) [snapback]483421[/snapback]

the cold air intake was INSANE. made a huge difference imo my 0-60 dropped like 2-3 seconds.

cwm13.gif rolleyes.gif
massbrandon
^^ agreed. 2-3 seconds. Little bit of an oversight? Or is it some super intake? Let me know what you did so I can do that to my GT
Bitter
changing the intake path (shortening and opening it up) does have a pretty drastic effect on the 7A-FE. not 2-3 seconds drastic, but if its the 1st thing you do, then it feels pretty stunning.
creamed_corn
QUOTE(j0e_p3t @ Sep 24, 2006 - 1:56 PM) [snapback]483259[/snapback]

a 5sfe will require almost as much work as a 3sgte. and the extra 25 hp wouldn't be worth it. might as well go the extra step and get a 3sgte. if that's out of your price range, get either a 4age or 4agze.

I object slightly. Just as much work? Yes. Just as much money? Not by a long shot. 5S engines and parts are cheap and numerous. A 3S clip would cost 3 to 4 times as much as a 5S. Is it worth the 25 extra horsepower? Probably not.
quicknstyle
since you have an st, and your budget is only 2500, i would definately reccomend trying the 4age 20v swap, from what i hear, its pretty straight forward, you dont really need the clip from what i understand and you can get all that you need for around 600 bucks... will give you around 145 to the wheels, not a lot but will feel a lot quicker, and a lot more fun with a high rev... get a manual tranny, its a lot more fun to drive, trust me. you could go that route, and still have some money left for some basic bolt ons if you want...
j0e_p3t
QUOTE(creamed_corn @ Sep 26, 2006 - 6:16 PM) [snapback]484184[/snapback]

QUOTE(j0e_p3t @ Sep 24, 2006 - 1:56 PM) [snapback]483259[/snapback]

I object slightly. Just as much work? Yes. Just as much money? Not by a long shot. 5S engines and parts are cheap and numerous. A 3S clip would cost 3 to 4 times as much as a 5S. Is it worth the 25 extra horsepower? Probably not.

i never said it'd cost as much money. of course the 3s costs a lot more plus the extra for the ic, custom piping, other turbo parts and what-not. i said the 5s swap would almost be as much work cuz you'd have to change motor mounts, tranny, etc just like you would for the 3s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.