Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toyota's are a pain to work on!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
tin_foil
Okay, I just need to vent a little. I REALLY dislike working on Toyota's. I guess I'm spoiled by working on Honda's. Some of you guys will probably want to shoot me for saying that, but anyone who's really worked a lot on both cars knows that Honda's are really, really well designed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Celica, but after working on it's axles, bumper, and timing belt I realized how awesomely Honda has designed their motors so that nearly everythings really accessable. I think Toyota needs to take some lessons on engine engineering... but Honda still needs to take some lessons on exterior design. biggrin.gif
CheesyLobster
i think the 7afe is very accessible. don't have to much experience with the 5s, but i'd assume that engine is harder to work on.
Kwanza26
I think they are the same...
Killswitch
YESSSS! I know what your saying. My car was a Bi*** to take the tranny out. Civic tranny's are sooo easy. But w/e I do love Celica's.
Kwanza26
QUOTE(Killswitch @ Sep 26, 2006 - 5:05 AM) [snapback]483871[/snapback]

YESSSS! I know what your saying. My car was a Bi*** to take the tranny out. Civic tranny's are sooo easy. But w/e I do love Celica's.

that's because the civic has a really small motor and tranny. It's like saying a 2wd truck's tranny is hella of a lot easier to take out compared to a big fat auto 4wd full sized van's... ;P
celicomx
QUOTE(Killswitch @ Sep 26, 2006 - 12:05 AM) [snapback]483871[/snapback]

I was workin on my celica clutch and the tranny is very easy to get out axles are so simple so i think that is your mechanics skills that let you think honda's are more easy to work, and i think that could be possible since hondas have 1.5L SOHC lol :S and the tranny is so tiny :S and don't blame toyota engineering our celicas are 200% better and have more quality than any JDM or USDM Car smile.gif
Bitter
the angle that the S engines sit at could cause some acess problems, especially things between the engine and firewall.

besides that hitch, i'd say that toyotas are pretty easy and straight forward to work on. work on GM's, Fords, and Chryslers, then say that your car is hard to work with!
IdiotStick
I used to own a sunbird before i got my 5th gen. I hated working on that thing. Everything was so out of place and just in all around horrible spots (Starter between the engine and the firewall anyone?) Given, my mechanics skills are **** at best, I do consider the celica much easier to work on.
Rayme
I'll just say the 5s-fe, in my personal experience, is the easiest car to change the oil on so far!
bufferdan
Just depends on what your used to. Toyota's do have a weird way to do alot of things though...but thats like any car. Once u learn the ways the easier it is for you. Some stuff though is just bad design....for instance the rear motor mount on the celica's...AWWW
fastgt
QUOTE(tin_foil @ Sep 25, 2006 - 9:55 PM) [snapback]483864[/snapback]

after working on it's axles, bumper, and timing belt I realized how awesomely Honda has designed their motors so that nearly everythings really accessable. I think Toyota needs to take some lessons on engine engineering... but Honda still needs to take some lessons on exterior design. biggrin.gif

Engineering lessons???? laugh.gif

dont blame your lack of ability on toyota, yes a timing belt on a toyota is not easy...ive done at ton of them and if you know what you are doing it is very simple....and compared to honda they are almost the same.

axles??? thats a cake walk, and last time i checked most fwd transaxles are pretty much the same.

if you think toyota needs lessons on engineering take a looks at the 2jz-gte 3s-gte 4a-ge 22r....yea toyota doesnt know what theyre doing.
block
i think toyotas are easier to work on than honda. im not being bias. just from experience. i know everyone has their own to say. but haha i think honda just made it too easy for other people to steal. hahaha bumpers, fenders, engine, etc. i mean comon' they can learn from toyota!
nightryder
I like working on my car, its challenge at first but once you know what your doing its easy as **** . Try working on a audi or vw! thats tough ****, most mechanics wont even touch certain things on em. And i will agree that changing the oil in my 5s is the easiest oil change i have ever done, except when i burn/cut my hand on the exaust manifold while trying to loosen the filter... ouch mad.gif
Negative
You have no idea how many people/mechanics have commented on how accessible everything is on the 5S-FE in a Celica/camry. Especially friends with MR2's. LOL. It just seems like a Honda is easier to work on because of the tiny engine and tranny.
I mean come on to name a few the:
Alternator
Starter
Oil filter
Distributer cap and rotor
Ignitor and coil
-all can e easily removed without disturbing other parts. That's most of you basic maintenance parts.
playr158
you don't know what hard to work on is till you've owned a volkswagen....a celica is an in your sleep type of work compaired to the stupid VW....
tin_foil
Note: I didn't say Toyota's are HARD to work on, I just said they're harder than Hondas. biggrin.gif I've worked on Saab trannys(pain in the a**), VWs(a lot of cheap parts), Mitsubishi (not too bad), and a LOT of Toyota's and Hondas.

Like I said, I love my Celica, and today, after my work on it is done, I'm in a better mood and loving Toyotas all the more. smile.gif But ask anyone whos really worked on both Honda's and Toyotas and they'll tell you that nearly everythings easier to get to and work on on Hondas. wink.gif

As far as Honda's having small engines in big engine bays, true in some cases, but not all. I swapped a b16a into my CRX...and I had to slightly cut the cross member for the exhaust manifold, and slightly dent another spot to fit in the alternator. So I'm not spoilied by working with lots of space. smile.gif
Yellow94GT
QUOTE(tin_foil @ Sep 26, 2006 - 12:55 AM) [snapback]483864[/snapback]

Okay, I just need to vent a little. I REALLY dislike working on Toyota's. I guess I'm spoiled by working on Honda's. Some of you guys will probably want to shoot me for saying that, but anyone who's really worked a lot on both cars knows that Honda's are really, really well designed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Celica, but after working on it's axles, bumper, and timing belt I realized how awesomely Honda has designed their motors so that nearly everythings really accessable. I think Toyota needs to take some lessons on engine engineering... but Honda still needs to take some lessons on exterior design. biggrin.gif

Note: I didn't say Toyota's are HARD to work on, I just said they're harder than Hondas. I've worked on Saab trannys(pain in the a**), VWs(a lot of cheap parts), Mitsubishi (not too bad), and a LOT of Toyota's and Hondas.

Like I said, I love my Celica, and today, after my work on it is done, I'm in a better mood and loving Toyotas all the more. But ask anyone whos really worked on both Honda's and Toyotas and they'll tell you that nearly everythings easier to get to and work on on Hondas. "

Really? I own both a Toyota Celice GT and Civic EX.
I completely disagree!
This weekend I just replaced the outer cv joint boots on my 94 GT and I thought it was easier and better engineered than my 95 Honda Civic EX.

The civic had less mileage when I had to REPLACE the clicking honda cv joints rather than replacing broken Toyota boots.

I put in an air horn in my Civic and every minute wished I was working on the space I had in my Celica.

The alternator has to be removed from under the 95 Honda Civic EX by turning and twisting between the exhaust and the suspension and steering components. The Toyota Celica GT is completely accessable on top of the engine.

The oil filter on the Honda civic is under the intake manifold between the block and firewall. The Celica GT is right in front completely accessable!

I think you were frustrated and typed out your post and now have to defend the you opinion because you may of had a difficult time working on maintaining items on your car.

Go ahead.
"... ask anyone whos really worked on both Honda's and Toyotas."

Yellow94GT
easternpiro1
i'll be the FIRST to say im not mechanically inclined, but...im thinking hondas are way easier, EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER puts a b16 in it in their driveway. its great aftermarket support on top of that, i say honda is easier just an obsevation though... biggrin.gif
tin_foil
If people feel differently, that's cool. It was just an opinion to begin with. wink.gif But I would like to say one thing: I know what I'm talking about when I discuss mechanics. I'm in school for mechanical engineering, then it'll be on to graduate school for automotive engineering. I've owned, worked on, and sold so many cars I've lost count. Just a few of the cars I've worked on over the past few years are: 81 Tercel, 90 CRX, 1996 3000GT, 99 Civic, 94 Celica, 79 Scirocco, 80 Supra, 97 Accord...

I guess I need to be specific as to what annoyed me on the Celica, and what I appreciate about Honda.

- What really got me started was what's with the Celica's balljoint pointing up on the lower control arm? And you can't pull the spidle up cause of the springs. It makes it a pain in the a** to get the stupid thing in and out. Honda's ball joint is ON the spindle, and SO much easier to work with. Not to mention Honda's double wishbone suspension...gota love it wink.gif

- I don't like that the Celica's rotor isn't bolted (or screwed) down. Not a big deal, but annoying when working on calipers, springs, axles, etc.

- What's with the Celica's cable linkage? Honda's linkage are so much easier to replace, adjust, access, etc.

- Another small thing, but it pissed me off. I almost killed myself when the jacked slipped cause there's no great place to jack up the front. Honda's cross member always has a specific, solid place for a jack.

Anyway, that was about all. Not to mention, right now I'm in love with DOHC VTEC's. biggrin.gif I'm sure I'll feel better about the Celi when I get a 3s in there. Not a big deal, and Toyota's are still %200 better than every domestic out there. tongue.gif

(please only respond if you actually know what your talking about wink.gif )
Bitter
vvt, vvti, and vvtli have been around for about as long as vtec's various steps. it just hasnt been in the USDM for as long as honda has had vvt technology here.

honda makes some great motors, their cars are light, handle well, and hold value.

the balljoint isnt hard, just knock out the cotter pin and unbolt it from the hub assemble and then pull the A arm down. i changed one in about 15 minutes on jack stands in snow in my driveway :-p
Kwanza26
QUOTE(tin_foil @ Sep 27, 2006 - 4:33 AM) [snapback]484291[/snapback]

If people feel differently, that's cool. It was just an opinion to begin with. wink.gif But I would like to say one thing: I know what I'm talking about when I discuss mechanics. I'm in school for mechanical engineering, then it'll be on to graduate school for automotive engineering. I've owned, worked on, and sold so many cars I've lost count. Just a few of the cars I've worked on over the past few years are: 81 Tercel, 90 CRX, 1996 3000GT, 99 Civic, 94 Celica, 79 Scirocco, 80 Supra, 97 Accord...

Your opinion... fair nuff...

I guess I need to be specific as to what annoyed me on the Celica, and what I appreciate about Honda.

- What really got me started was what's with the Celica's balljoint pointing up on the lower control arm? And you can't pull the spidle up cause of the springs. It makes it a pain in the a** to get the stupid thing in and out. Honda's ball joint is ON the spindle, and SO much easier to work with. Not to mention Honda's double wishbone suspension...gota love it wink.gif

Better suspension... yeah... but much more difficult than MacPhearson struts to work with. If you struggle with ball joints... you just don't have the right tools ehh... Both are about the same.

- I don't like that the Celica's rotor isn't bolted (or screwed) down. Not a big deal, but annoying when working on calipers, springs, axles, etc.

This makes the Toyota rotors MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to remove/replace and such.

- What's with the Celica's cable linkage? Honda's linkage are so much easier to replace, adjust, access, etc.

I don't know what you're reffering to. Shift linkages? If that's the case... the cable linkages are much much much less of a hassle when working with the tranny... unlike Honda's big metal bars...

- Another small thing, but it pissed me off. I almost killed myself when the jacked slipped cause there's no great place to jack up the front. Honda's cross member always has a specific, solid place for a jack.

Toyota celicas have a bigger better front cross member... although not marked as a lifting point... it makes a great lifting moint.

Anyway, that was about all. Not to mention, right now I'm in love with DOHC VTEC's. biggrin.gif I'm sure I'll feel better about the Celi when I get a 3s in there. Not a big deal, and Toyota's are still %200 better than every domestic out there. tongue.gif

(please only respond if you actually know what your talking about wink.gif )

I think I followed that last guidline...
celicomx
Double Wishbone aren't Better than McPherson :S i think you don't like celicas smile.gif
DOHC VTEC are good engines but 3s-gte are better so wink.gif you loose man and don't forget that "Hondas Sux" (some models)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.