Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new intake
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
slvr_celica_GT_816
i installed a short-ram air intake today, its seams to make more HP it also made my engine alot louder but it sounds good. but my question is that is it spose to make the motor alot louder?
Bitter
yes
ra65_22re
yea its kind of like a whistling sound
n1ckz0r
yep
Jaws4God
yep cuz now you can hear it sucking the air in whereas before it was contained in the air filter box.
slvr_celica_GT_816
yeah thanks i was jw cuz i didnt know if mabye something went rong i new it would whistle but i didnt know it would make the motor alot louder
Batman722
what intake did you put in ? (I know short ram, I'm looking for civic/injen/custom/ect..)
any pics ?
slvr_celica_GT_816
my dad bought it from autozone, its a universal one but i swaer it works and looks like its made for a 6th gen. its a all crhome short-ram by spectre it bolts right up and looks good ill post pics soon when i take them but id recomend it to anyone lokking for a cheap intake its good quaity too website: www.spectreperformance.com
Jlacker3
Did your dad buy the parts seperate?

I don't think the parts on this is right..

http://spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG

I ordered an Accord CAI and I think I'm gonna modify it to be a SRI..I don't want to use a bypass valve and all that stuff.
Redline08
whats wrong with a bypass valve? they are cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-UNIVERS...sspagenameZWDVW

$21...
Jlacker3
Thats pretty cheap, I thought they were more expensive. Doesn't it take away from the CAI sound though? Plus, I don't know if I will want to have to deal with the trouble of getting under the fender to change filter.
Redline08
If anything it would add to the sound, and it wouldnt be that hard to get under the fender to change the filter, maybe take 15 mins...

its your choice do what you want lol
Jlacker3
I heard with a SRI it makes your gas mileage not as good unless you have a better exhaust than stock...is that true for CAI as well??
Redline08
shouldnt hurt your gas mileage too much, the stock intake is a cold air intake, therefore putting a hot air sucker onto your car will only increase throttle response slightly. The engine doesnt have to strain as much to get the air with a sri, and when it does get the air its going to be hot so no hp gain... MAYBEEE a slight decrease in gas mileage. Cold air will give you a small noticable gain in hp and throttle response should feel like stock, gas mileage wont increase or decrease.

There is a rumor that intake delivers MORE air so a bigger exhaust is needed to balance the engine out (more in-more out), but its mostly whoee because intake doesnt deliver "more" air, just delivers it faster or colder.

All in all a sri may hurt gas mileage ever so slightly and cold air will make no noticable difference. Exhaust is not needed in gaining gas mileage out of any intake, exhaust is mainly for hp.
Jlacker3
Thanks Redline, exactly what I wanted to know. I was looking @ your profile and I was wondering what the little air filter is for next to your SRI filter.
Sinyk
QUOTE(Redline08 @ Jul 27, 2007 - 11:58 PM) [snapback]583120[/snapback]

whats wrong with a bypass valve? they are cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-UNIVERS...sspagenameZWDVW

$21...

LOL that guy wants $76 to ship it to Canada. gouge! gouge!
Redline08
ey the little air filter is my friends pcv filter that he didnt want anymore, it doesnt do anything, just covers the nipple that comes off the intake that st's dont need. Basically pointless lol...

$76 to ship it to Canada

wow, thats terrible... youll find one though, for cheaper i hope
dutchboy
QUOTE(Redline08 @ Jul 31, 2007 - 9:39 PM) [snapback]584231[/snapback]

shouldnt hurt your gas mileage too much... MAYBEEE a slight decrease in gas mileage. Cold air will give you a small noticable gain in hp and throttle response should feel like stock, gas mileage wont increase or decrease.

I have seen websites dedicated to hyper-miling and they actually run WAI (warm air intake) to get better mileage. The warmer air causes the sensor to lean out the A/F Ratio, resulting in less power/better mileage.

Redline08
warm air=less oxygen=more fuel needed to create the right combustion

thats how i see it, i also dont see why toyota would opt for a cold air intake at the factory if it hurt gas mileage...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.