Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket clutch opinions...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Delta_Phoenix
I've had my Celi about 4 years, and put an entire new clutch kit in it about 2 weeks after I got it.

Now, it's gone again. Well, actually quite the opposite. The clutch is "stuck" engaged.

So, just wanted to get some opinions from anyone that has an aftermarket clutch kit. Centerforce, Exedy, Clutchmasters, etc...

Did you receive a complete kit with the clutch and pressure plates and throwout bearing? Seems irrelevant to buy a performance clutch while still using a factory spec throwout. That's what went out when I had a kit put in the first time. Not looking for any hardcore performance, just a stage 1 kit.
GTS13
I just put in my ACT Organic street clutch yesterday with the heavy duty pressure plate and so far it's fantastic. I replaced it because my old one was shot, and I bought it that way but from what I can tell the ACT grips very well. It's not too harsh since it's not a staged clutch (which I would not condone at all for DD) and recommend it to anyone looking for a performance/street daily driving clutch.

At the top of this list and once it's in your cart it's only about $350.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performa...mp;brandid=2320
InfamousChappy
Where in Tn is Hohenwald? I got a LuK stage 2 clutch..And it worked well from advanced auto for around 200. It's still fairly new if you want it..I threw a rod.
nate95
GET EXEDY!!! i have a stage 1 and its AMAZING! i was able to chirp tires going into 3rd gear before i turbo'd my celica.
ExSane
Get ACT Street Disc and Xtreme Pressure Plate. The street disc is made for smoother and faster shifting and I can definately tell the difference from OEM. It also chirps tires EVERYtime when you shift gears if you were to try and race with it. biggrin.gif
hitcachi
QUOTE(ExSane @ Oct 30, 2006 - 11:33 PM) [snapback]497787[/snapback]

Get ACT Street Disc and Xtreme Pressure Plate. The street disc is made for smoother and faster shifting and I can definately tell the difference from OEM. It also chirps tires EVERYtime when you shift gears if you were to try and race with it. biggrin.gif

I've heard nothing but good things about ACT's street disc's Never owned one myself but plan too after my stage 2 goes out.
ExSane
Well, the 'Street Disc' is made for smoother and faster shifting. It is a little bit better than OEM clutch. But if you want more grab, go after 4 or 6 puck clutch with Xtreme Pressure Plate and not Heavy Duty Pressure Plate. But the Street Disc lasts longer than the 4/6 pucks.
WH95TE
QUOTE(nate95 @ Oct 30, 2006 - 5:00 PM) [snapback]497681[/snapback]

GET EXEDY!!! i have a stage 1 and its AMAZING! i was able to chirp tires going into 3rd gear before i turbo'd my celica.

Serious? I want something other then OEM then. Being able to chirp anything other then first is so cool lol, I cant do it stock on my ST with oem frown.gif
soulshadow
Avoid Ebay they have some cheap stuff but it does work Such as EZ racing clutches. Just avoid all stage 3 and up stuff they will make ur life driving hard.
GTS13
QUOTE(ExSane @ Nov 1, 2006 - 2:50 AM) [snapback]498218[/snapback]

Well, the 'Street Disc' is made for smoother and faster shifting. It is a little bit better than OEM clutch. But if you want more grab, go after 4 or 6 puck clutch with Xtreme Pressure Plate and not Heavy Duty Pressure Plate. But the Street Disc lasts longer than the 4/6 pucks.

I dunno, I've heard some bad things about the puck disks on stock engines. They're designed for racing apps not really daily driving. Driving them on the street could potentially destroy some stuff. I don't remember who it was but didn't someone here ruin something with a stage 2 installed on stock?
playr158
just go up to advanced auto and buy their "OEM spec" clutch...it will last you a nice long time and have good feel for 25% of the cost of one of the larger aftermarket companies...

i call BS on this crap...
chirping 3rd gear....on a ST celica riiiight....even with ltw 14" rims and crap tires you couldn't do it
ExSane
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 2, 2006 - 5:43 PM) [snapback]498830[/snapback]

i call BS on this crap...
chirping 3rd gear....on a ST celica riiiight....even with ltw 14" rims and crap tires you couldn't do it

laugh.gif You just don't know. I have ACT Street Disc and ACT Heavy Pressure Plate. I do chirp tires everytime I switch gears. But it doesn't mean that I'm hauling ass. It just means the torque transfer didn't grip on the tires. And I state this with pride and joy of chirping my tires with ACT clutch!
playr158
your ST isn't chirping from 2nd to 3rd....

show me a video....and i'll conceed but i've raced STs on teh track with 14" LTW enkie's and pretty bald tires weight reduction and engine modified on aftermarket clutches...i might chirp 2nd barely...

prove it.....
ExSane
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 2, 2006 - 11:40 PM) [snapback]498970[/snapback]

show me a video....and i'll conceed but i've raced STs on teh track with 14" LTW enkie's and pretty bald tires weight reduction and engine modified on aftermarket clutches...i might chirp 2nd barely...

prove it.....

Ah yes, I will definately try to get a video up. Mwhahahahahaha! I got 18" wheels on. More weight and 80% tread on the tires. My engine is modified with just spark plugs and intake. I got full custom exhaust. As well as ACT Street Disc with Heavy Pressure Plate. I will PROVE it to you for sure. Give me time though cuz I don't got a digital camera and I gotta go get one from a family member on my next day off (which should be MONDAY) and I'll gladly shut you up. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You think you know so much and doubt any possibilities of what others experience becuz of what you may believe becuz you've never seen it. It's only natural. Ah yes, my friend, I'mma teach you a lesson of "Don't talk unless you DEFINATELY know." Like I said, the tires "chirping" doesn't have anything to do with POWER. It has to do with TRACTION.
playr158
i don't mind being wrong..

but post a video and all is well...
ExSane
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 3, 2006 - 12:48 AM) [snapback]499000[/snapback]

Will do friend. Will do. Just in time. Promise.
4g-gt-four
Act clutches are junk in 3sgte applications, most of the time us toyota guys shred them if we have any horsepower that is. The only guys that really have any luck with act are mitsu and dsm guys, and their perception of reliability is going two weeks without something breaking... Spec clutches are solid and cheap. Everyone who runs them in a gt-four or supra is extremely happy with them. If I wanted to spend the big bucks, I would just buy a blitz clutch kit. But spending money on clutches is stupid, you just wear them out (if you dont drive like a grandma). My spec stage 2+ rocks! Kevlar on one side and six puck on the other. It got me a 1.8 60ft time with ease. I could do even better if I wasnt so afraid of launching my car all the time. Look into spec, you will be happy with it. But I have never heard of a clutch sticking in the engaged position before. You might just have a failed clutch master cyl or slave cyl. Or even a destoyed throw out bearing or bent clutch fork. Diagnose the definite problem before you order a clutch wink.gif
Also, most clutch kits come with pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing, pilot bearing(if your application uses one) and a clutch disc centering tool. The only other thing you might want to look into getting is a lightened flywheel. My Fidanza is amazing
spec stage 1=perfect daily driver. spec stage2+ pedal weight=stage1 pedal weight. all spec stages to3 are= to stock pedal weight. spec=amazing and cheaper

The fact that some people think they can chirp tires with 100hp and 18's makes me laugh. The fact that some people would put 18's and an ugly body kit on a car with 100hp makes me roll on the floor laughing
eggman40
QUOTE(GTS13 @ Oct 30, 2006 - 1:33 PM) [snapback]497663[/snapback]
I just put in my ACT Organic street clutch yesterday with the heavy duty pressure plate and so far it's fantastic. I replaced it because my old one was shot, and I bought it that way but from what I can tell the ACT grips very well. It's not too harsh since it's not a staged clutch (which I would not condone at all for DD) and recommend it to anyone looking for a performance/street daily driving clutch.

At the top of this list and once it's in your cart it's only about $350.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performa...mp;brandid=2320

x2 i have the same clutch as well and i have to say it is perfect for daily driving. It gives you more grip and a little more pedal stiffness than stock but wont kill you like a staged clutch. I drove a stage3 3sgte and it was murder! Performance wise it was perfect, but a month of that and your left leg will out grow your right. Not good for Los Angeles traffic.

ACT is not a bad choice IPB Image

purplegt4
act.
Symbiote5S-FE
is centerforce any good?
4g-gt-four
QUOTE(Symbiote5S-FE @ Nov 3, 2006 - 5:42 AM) [snapback]499061[/snapback]

is centerforce any good?

Domestic and musclecar guys love centerforce clutches. They seem to be very good on v8 applications. Not sure how the centerforce import products are though
playr158
QUOTE(4g-gt-four @ Nov 3, 2006 - 2:40 AM) [snapback]499042[/snapback]

Act clutches are junk in 3sgte applications, most of the time us toyota guys shred them if we have any horsepower that is. The only guys that really have any luck with act are mitsu and dsm guys, and their perception of reliability is going two weeks without something breaking... Spec clutches are solid and cheap. Everyone who runs them in a gt-four or supra is extremely happy with them. If I wanted to spend the big bucks, I would just buy a blitz clutch kit. But spending money on clutches is stupid, you just wear them out (if you dont drive like a grandma). My spec stage 2+ rocks! Kevlar on one side and six puck on the other. It got me a 1.8 60ft time with ease. I could do even better if I wasnt so afraid of launching my car all the time. Look into spec, you will be happy with it. But I have never heard of a clutch sticking in the engaged position before. You might just have a failed clutch master cyl or slave cyl. Or even a destoyed throw out bearing or bent clutch fork. Diagnose the definite problem before you order a clutch wink.gif
Also, most clutch kits come with pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing, pilot bearing(if your application uses one) and a clutch disc centering tool. The only other thing you might want to look into getting is a lightened flywheel. My Fidanza is amazing
spec stage 1=perfect daily driver. spec stage2+ pedal weight=stage1 pedal weight. all spec stages to3 are= to stock pedal weight. spec=amazing and cheaper

The fact that some people think they can chirp tires with 100hp and 18's makes me laugh. The fact that some people would put 18's and an ugly body kit on a car with 100hp makes me roll on the floor laughing

spec hasn't done any better then ACT.....Spec clutches have been known to break as well...i believe Itchy has broken his Spec clutch 2 times?.....

but 1.8 60' isn't too bad for an all trac...though should look for around the 1.6 mark wink.gif

The fact that some people think they can chirp tires with 100hp and 18's makes me laugh.

lol its less then 100hp lmao laugh.gif laugh.gif
4g-gt-four
hopfully he is running at least a stage 3, sounds like he has had some substantial power mods! Havent really heard anything bad about spec clutches in 3sgte's but i dont know everything. What I do know is that I watched an ACT clutch get shredded in a gt-four with 5,000 miles on the clutch. When we installed the spec stage 2+, he was very happy with the difference in engagement. Spec uses better friction materials and pressure plate geometry to make clutch kits. Leads to a lighter pedal weight and better engagement feel. Act uses basic materials and a ton of force from the pressure plate to acheive the same grabbling force. Which leads to a larger left quadracep muscle! My friend had an ACT in his galant vr4, and was happy with the engagement, but whenever anyone would drive it, they bitched about how hard the pedal was to push in. Some girls could not even push it in! It eventually lead to a blown clutch master cyl, blown clutch slave cyl, a bent clutch fork and a smashed throw out bearing. all happened within 6 months after the clutch install. The good thing about spec and ACT is they are both cheap due to being american made! From what iv seen i choose spec. I have never seen a spec clutch break. (three in alltracs, two in mustangs, and one in a camaro) They all have over about 30k miles on them now. I have seen ACT's shredded in a supra, and a gt-four. The supra now runs exedy and is happy.

Ya, Im affraid to launch my car because im a puss laugh.gif I should be able to hit a 1.6, but when I got one run without bogging i stopped. 1.8 in the 13's was good enough for me. I know.. im a puss lol. no money to fix it if i break anything else. Even though alltracs dont break thumbsup.gif
94celicadude
i have a center force clutch in both my St and GT, they are just the 30% over stock hold, and with the ST i dont know why, but even with lightwheight flywheel and clutch, i cant chirp 1-2, i have to look into it, but the Gt will chirp 1-2-3 every day. I am otherwise very happy with the centerforce clutch kits, they do not inlcude throw out bearing or centering tool, or my kit did not. It was just pressure plate and clutch disk. Good luck on your choice.
x_itchy_b_x
i got what we think might be the spec 2+ V2? well basicly they fixed what ive blowing up. looks better. well see.
IPB Image
4g-gt-four
So they came out with a second version of the 2+? that looks different from mine. Mine is kevlar on one side and six puck organic on the other. You were blowing up the stage 2+?!! on how much power! lol
playr158
itchy was a stock 3s...with a GT tranny
4g-gt-four
all depends on what stage he was running. The trans has nothing to do w/ it. and a stock 2nd gen 3s is already at 200hp. he has a fmic and most likely a boost controller. dont try to tell me its stock... my car is "stock" with a boost controller and an ecu reflash, and it will ponzor most who cross it. My question is what spec clutch has been shredded in the past. Asking for my own interest because i have a spec stage 2+. If you cant answer my question, dont try. Im sure itchy can tell me about his car much better then you can
x_itchy_b_x
IPB Image
IPB Image
mods are in profile smile.gif i liked to run 15-17psi.
i bought it from spec as a stage 2+ im pretttttty positive. its been a while.
i know its never slipped though. ever. it just blows up. but that was bcause those cheesy rivits. the new one should be fine.

people love the stage 3's never hear anyhting bad about them. except chatter.

4g-gt-four
They may have used to run that clutch as a 2+. but that is definitely not the same as mine. Like I said mine is 6 puck organic on one side and kevlar on the other. I think thats a stage 2.. but I have nothing to back that up. still though, my friend shaun is running the 2 in his alltrac and has 30k miles and prob about 50 Drag launches on his. Dont understand why it was doing that in your car.. maybe something to due with the fwd wheel hop?..
x_itchy_b_x
i never really got wheel hop, they just spun. it is also has s54 splines with a 3sgte disc, so it was kinda custom fabrication. who knows im just glad they fixed it.
playr158
wheel hop shouldn't affect a clutch
4g-gt-four
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 7, 2006 - 7:14 PM) [snapback]500370[/snapback]

wheel hop shouldn't affect a clutch

incorrect. wheel hop is hard on all driveline parts. It is consistently known in drag racing to break transmissions, axles and suspension components. You are talking about a component which bears the full force of the engines power. its like dumping the clutch 10 times at once. power being taken away and replaced 100% multiple times could easily cause this.
playr158
ah guess your right..i was more thinking axels/suspension

i was distracted by files at that point haha i should work less while forum whoring!
4g-gt-four
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Nov 7, 2006 - 7:11 PM) [snapback]500368[/snapback]

i never really got wheel hop, they just spun. it is also has s54 splines with a 3sgte disc, so it was kinda custom fabrication. who knows im just glad they fixed it.

custom?
so its actually a disc for a 3sgte tht they put the inner splined portion from a normal celica in? That would explain why it might have been breaking. If that is the case then they prob underestimated the power you would be making and finally fixed it after you sent a broken peice of junk back to them two times laugh.gif
6strngs
what clutch would be good for me if I wanted something that will work for me now with a near-stock 5sfe, but will hold up to the power if I turbo'd it?
ExSane
QUOTE(playr158 @ Nov 3, 2006 - 12:48 AM) [snapback]499000[/snapback]

QUOTE(ExSane @ Nov 2, 2006 - 11:54 PM) [snapback]498976[/snapback]

prove it.....

Ah yes, I will definately try to get a video up. Mwhahahahahaha! I got 18" wheels on. More weight and 80% tread on the tires. My engine is modified with just spark plugs and intake. I got full custom exhaust. As well as ACT Street Disc with Heavy Pressure Plate. I will PROVE it to you for sure. Give me time though cuz I don't got a digital camera and I gotta go get one from a family member on my next day off (which should be MONDAY) and I'll gladly shut you up. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You think you know so much and doubt any possibilities of what others experience becuz of what you may believe becuz you've never seen it. It's only natural. Ah yes, my friend, I'mma teach you a lesson of "Don't talk unless you DEFINATELY know." Like I said, the tires "chirping" doesn't have anything to do with POWER. It has to do with TRACTION.

Here you go mister know it all. laugh.gif

http://ex2000.imeem.com/video/9Csup1pc/chirping_tires/

i might chirp 2nd barely...

You aint. But I am sure as hell am every freakin time!

http://ex2000.imeem.com/video/fSOeyS0Y/just_a_quick_chirp/

Yes it is... laugh.gif

Just letting you know that I don't burn my clutch at all while shifting gears while speeding my car. It's called knowing how to shift "properly". I had to sacrifice my OEM clutch to learn how to do it. Clutch Setup: ACT Street Disc, ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Stock Flywheel

BOOYAH!
4g-gt-four
cant beleive you are bragging about that... Last time I was at sea level, the minivan i was riding in was chirping the tires that much on shifts too

QUOTE(6strngs @ Nov 8, 2006 - 4:38 AM) [snapback]500555[/snapback]

what clutch would be good for me if I wanted something that will work for me now with a near-stock 5sfe, but will hold up to the power if I turbo'd it?

chose your brand. Exedy, spec, ACT, clutchmasters, etc. and get a stage 2. Stage 2 is good enough for a mild turbo application and is not crazy rugged compared to stock.
ExSane
QUOTE(4g-gt-four @ Nov 8, 2006 - 3:18 PM) [snapback]500679[/snapback]

cant beleive you are bragging about that... Last time I was at sea level, the minivan i was riding in was chirping the tires that much on shifts too

Wasn't brag'n. Just letting playr158 know not to talk when he doesn't *know* for fact. That's how misguided info gets around.
y2komar
too bad you cant see the car.

umnnn
do it on the day time and retape it.
jdg371
I cant access the video.. when I had my craptastic 14s with some generic tires.. I could chirp 1st and 2nd.... 2nd usually chirped on a turn tho

QUOTE(4g-gt-four @ Nov 4, 2006 - 6:32 PM) [snapback]499436[/snapback]

QUOTE(Symbiote5S-FE @ Nov 3, 2006 - 5:42 AM) [snapback]499061[/snapback]

is centerforce any good?

Domestic and musclecar guys love centerforce clutches. They seem to be very good on v8 applications. Not sure how the centerforce import products are though

I have centerforce stage.1 and I abuse it to death.
6strngs
alright, so I'm probably gonna place an order on a fidanza lightweight flywheel and a spec stage 2 clutch. anyone know a good/cheap place to order these from? I can get both for $615 shipped at ultrarev.com, but I want to see if there's anywhere I can get it cheaper (money is tight right now...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.