Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission issue
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
celica95gt
HI
I am new to the site and work at Toyota and working on my 95 celica and have some trouble with the transmission. With my oringal automatic Transmission it was work fine but one day it just would not go into gear at all I would accerlate and the car would not move just the rpm. If I turn the car off and then on again it would be fine for one or two miles then do the same thing. After doing that for about 15 miles the transmission would not go in drive only ine reverse.

So I get a used transmissions inport from japan from a company here in the us 40k miles 6 month unlimtied mile warranty Install the transmission everything was fine for one day.then the same problem happen again like I said above. So I remove the soliend wires so I can run it like a maunal runs ok but if I go higher then 60 miles per hour the rpm are going almost to four thousand. Also will not go in reverse so I know I need to put another transmission in the celica. I which i got at work for the company who I bought the transmission from gave me another. I am wonder if anyone has had this problem or have any idea on why it would do this just bad luck same problem with two transmissions. Could it be something different.
Bitter
sounds like the wiring to the trans is poor, probably an intermittent connection. i take it you're not a tech there?

have someone check the continuity between the solenoid wires and the pcm connector block.
celica95gt
hi
That was going to be my idea next after put the new transmission in. Yes I am a tech at Toyota. Which if was a connection problem or broken wire the o/d light would give a code 42 or 43 bad solenid. no code shows. I check the wire there are not burn mark on the wire or any cut or damage. My next is get volt meter and follow the wire to see if current is going there or not.
Bitter
sometimes intermittents dont set codes, good luck.

follow the wiring diagram from the PCM to the trans, trace the wires and look for faults. the OD circuit is ONLY electronically controlled as well as TCC lockup, so thats why at 60mph you were screaming away. be sure and readup the available information about the A246E transmission so you understand how it works and can correctly diagnose it. thats alot better than poking around in the dark.
celica95gt
thank you for the infromation that what I am going to do after the new transmission is install if that problem come up again. with it get stuck in gear but I will look at the wire run to the tranny to see if there any problems. I will keep every one post
WannabeGT4
If he's got a GT like his profile says then he has an A140E. The A246E is for the A series engines.

This will show you exactly how the A140E works:
http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax1.pdf

Have you thought to try a different torque converter?
Bitter
my bad, i wasnt paying attention.
celica95gt
yea that was going to be my next question but wannabe answer it A140e is mine because it a camary motor in Gt wannabe thank for the link it the same at work. I don't think it the torgue converter because if that was the case the car would not move at all. I toke out the solenoid connector that go to the transmission and shift fine manual.if the torgue converter was bad it would not move in any gear I will be putting other transmission in tomorrow and see how it runs.
WannabeGT4
Sorry, I must have missed the part about the manual shifting while I was deciphering your posts. I assume English isn't your first language.

Regardless, I would suggest you double check your solenoid wiring to the ECU. Run new wires if you're not sure. You work at Toyota so it wouldn't be too hard to try a different ECU as well. It'd be odd to have two transmissions with the same problems.

Is the Park/Neutral switch adjusted correctly?
Have you tried to shift the trans into drive without the cable and make sure that the cable isn't stretched/out of spec?
Did you make sure that the throttle cable to the trans is connected and adjusted correctly?

I've never seen on of our auto transmission go bad so I'm kinda taking a stab in the dark but maybe it'll help.
celica95gt
just not very good at type well I put another transmission in and so far running fine.

yes I check all what you list nothin wrong with the wire or the solenoid. because when I remove the wire there a transmission code which would apply the computer is working. cable was in right postionI just think bad luck or wrong transmission. I will post again if the issue come up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.