Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS or Turbo
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
TCsteve
What do u think is better in the long run? Turbo or NOS, and what is better for the money?
hata
Turbo. (that's all I need to say)
jumpinccv
turbo..one time buying...no need to refill...among other reasons...somewould could elaborate..i have to get offline...
94Toy
Turbo for a few reasons 1. the power is always there. 2. It is much more efficient than Nitrous 3. It will be cheaper in the long run because your not always refilling. 4 Much more fun to drive a car with a turbo because you don't have to go in a straight line to use it. and 5. Pssssss!!!
jayi12-15psi
maybe if you only racing nitrous is better and less expensive in the long run, but you cannot beat the joys of boost. but if your on somewhat of a budget, nitrous is a good way to go.

and fyi, you might not want to use nos as a generic term for nitrous, you might get flamed biggrin.gif
HyperDeathKill
Wow, I thought bottles were only like $50, but they are more like $250. So I've heard two different things. Can you refil bottles at all?

IF bottles really cost $250, then there's no way that's worth it.
Drocay
Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i got carried away with my self.
Matthew
turbo

with Nos or nitrous w/e you want to call it. the power is adjustable to a certain amount like 200 Shot on some engines. but with celicas i would say 75shot.

a nitrous kit runs about 500-900 depending on who you go with. the refill it all the time blah blah blah

turboes you buy it once and thats all you need. the power is adjustable for different situations from the drivers seat. no purging the turbo. blah blah

zigy
I hate to "****n" listen to all these NEWBIEs riding around with their stock celicas....

... you have ST which is auto...

I would recomend NITROUS...why ? well here are some reason's...

1. CHEAPER ... Nitrous installed is around $700.... and refills are around $30
w/ around 50 shots you can squeize around 20 times....

2. CHEAPER AGAIN... turbo for ST would be custom, 7AFE doesn't have any turbo kits
designed for "Celica ONLY"

3. AUTOMATIC car.... Nitrous is the best on Automatic, the reason why is because
you can SPRAY starting off 2,000RPM in First gear, then Auto does the rest....
(it's almost Impossible to SPRAY on Manual car in FIRST gear....no traction)
-and besides your take-off is going to be AWESOME (ps no turbo lag)...

AND with couple $ / bolt-ons you can easily break into 14s (heheh STs are like 17 sec carz)

.....TRUST me dude, this comes from an actuall "TUNER" and experience w/ my car
.... not a ****n guy that makes custom APC intakes....

lolz.... any questions.... let me know
Matthew
QUOTE (zigy @ Jul 2, 2003 - 1:37 AM)
I hate to "****n" listen to all these NEWBIEs riding around with their stock celicas....

haha

thats funny you tell me not to call people newbies and not to talk sh*t

and about the turbo having lag.

umm i can name about 10 or more turbos that dont have any lag at all

1. Garrett CT26
2. Garrett CT20B
3. HKS GT25
4. HKS GT2530
5. HKS T04E
6. HKS TD04L
7. Greddy TD04H
8. Greddy TD05H
9. Greddy TD06H
10. KKK K5C
11. KKK K3T

there are 11 turbos that have either no lag or no noticeable lag.
HyperDeathKill
Yea, but how many of those turbos actually have the bracketing that fit in our cars?
BlackSTX
I think a turbo manifold can be made to fit any of those turbos. Garrett T25 and T25BB (ball bearing) are also supposed to have little or no lag. I think the Eclipse GS-T's used the T25's, and they were very quick cars.
Matthew
QUOTE (BlackSTX @ Jul 2, 2003 - 6:42 AM)
I think a turbo manifold can be made to fit any of those turbos. Garrett T25 and T25BB (ball bearing) are also supposed to have little or no lag. I think the Eclipse GS-T's used the T25's, and they were very quick cars.

yep they do use those

and pretty much any turbo will have to be custom made.

the price for that is about 1200 all together if you know what to look for and who to buy from

HyperDeathKill
And uh... where do I look and who do I buy from? :: wink wink ::
Inferno
Turbo, no doubt.
nik
Turbo tongue.gif
sinner96ST
If you're a cheap bastard? NOS..

If you actually want to do the whole forced induction deal, and do it right : Turbo.

Either which way you decide, make sure you're good with the up keep. Check oil levels, temperature, and everything else. You really gotta increase the maintenance(sp) if you're going to do any kind of forced induction. Damn, I love saying Forced Induction.. it just sounds bad assed.
Inferno
Yeah, actually, it does. "Forced Induction."
kuya1284
QUOTE (zigy @ Jul 2, 2003 - 1:37 AM)

... you have ST which is auto...

I would recomend NITROUS...why ? well here are some reason's...

1. CHEAPER ... Nitrous installed is around $700.... and refills are around $30
w/ around 50 shots you can squeize around 20 times....

2. CHEAPER AGAIN... turbo for ST would be custom, 7AFE doesn't have any turbo kits
designed for "Celica ONLY"

3. AUTOMATIC car.... Nitrous is the best on Automatic, the reason why is because
you can SPRAY starting off 2,000RPM in First gear, then Auto does the rest....
(it's almost Impossible to SPRAY on Manual car in FIRST gear....no traction)
-and besides your take-off is going to be AWESOME (ps no turbo lag)...

AND with couple $ / bolt-ons you can easily break into 14s (heheh STs are like 17 sec carz)

.....TRUST me dude, this comes from an actuall "TUNER" and experience w/ my car
.... not a ****n guy that makes custom APC intakes....

lolz.... any questions.... let me know

1. Cheaper yes, but if you're looking for an ALWAYS ON solution, nitrous is just a waste of money. It's only good for the tracks, unless you would like risk getting pulled over for having the bottle in your car.

2. No turbo kit for the 7A? Then what do you call **this**? Although it says Corolla, it WILL work for a Celica. But then again, there's always a swap, you is more costly, but it WILL rip nitrous a new asshole.

3. You can have a turbo'd AT car as well. Personally, I think it would be a waste, but it can be (and has been) done.

If you just want to be fast at the TRACKS, then go nitrous.
sinner96ST
Why would a Turbo'd AT be a waste anyway, kuya? Could you shed some more light on it? I've got the unfortunate auto tranny as well, and I thought about turbo but i'm going to source the tranny parts from tap recycling. I guess you'd never miss a shift but you really wouldn't be exploiting the full potential of the turbo?
kuya1284
QUOTE (sinner96ST @ Jul 3, 2003 - 6:09 PM)
Why would a Turbo'd AT be a waste anyway, kuya?  Could you shed some more light on it?  I've got the unfortunate auto tranny as well, and I thought about turbo but i'm going to source the tranny parts from tap recycling.    I guess you'd never miss a shift but you really wouldn't be exploiting the full potential of the turbo?

An AT with a turbo is a waste in the sense that it isn't as fun to drive. If it sounded like I was making a claim that a MT was better than an AT with turbo, it's not. AT's are just as good since the shift points can be adjusted, but it's nice having direct control over when to/not to shift.

If we are talking in terms of drag racing, an AT is actually better than MT. However, if we are talking in terms of autocross, having more (real-time) control with shifting via a MT would be more beneficial. But overall, MT and AT turbo's are (for the most part) equally good. MT's are just more fun and you won't get people breathing down your neck as to why you have an AT.
HyperDeathKill
It's really all about the money. Nobody who has a turbo says to themselves "Ya know, I wish I had done nitrous instead". And nobody with nitrous would ever say they would rather NOT have done a turbo.
Matthew
ya but lots of people with turbos add nitrous later on for that extra kick

if you can get a "WET" nitrous system you can actually run a larger turbo that would normally give you lag.

such as a T66, T78, or the massive T88

nitrous does give you torque that most turbos cant provide and they actually help your turbo spool up faster acting as an intercooler per say.

but if you were to start

i again would say turbo...then if you are still hungry for MORE power (who isnt?) then buy a bottle.
ToYCeLi8
So for those with a GT4 or a 3sgte swap (me hopefully biggrin.gif ) which kind of N20 do you add?? WET? or DRY?

On nopi.com i've seen a nuch of different tyoes of N20. And the only thing that i know that is different is the WET or DRY type? Can someone go into some detail about the those differences and any others??

DEUCE
Inferno
There is also a plate kit. I gotta go for now, but when I get back, if someone else hasn't done it, I can help explain how they work.
HyperDeathKill
Dry mixes the nitrous with just the air coming into your engine. A wet shot mixes the nitrous with the fuel.
Andason
I really wish the fast and the furious never came out....
everytime i hear the word NOS i think of vin diesel yelling it when the car blows up(quivers in disgust)
HyperDeathKill
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
kuya1284
Why do people trip off of nitrous being called NOS? Back before there were any reputable companies out making these systems, a lot of people called it NOS (and still do). I remember moving down here to so cal, and some kid asked me "Do you have nitrous?"

I started thinking to myself, "Man, I've gotten so used to people calling it NOS, I thought everyone would refer to it as that... not as nitrous".

*shrugs*

I think I'm just getting old...
HyperDeathKill
Much like band-aid. IT's actually... well whatever it is it isn't band-aid
Andason
This is known as a propriety eponym for those of you who did not know. I.E. Kleenex, Band-aid, White-out, Scotch Tape, Jell-O, Saran Wrap, and yes, NOS.

Say that the next time someone makes fun of you for calling it NOS.. smile.gif
Andason

Oh and thanks for the Vin Diesel Quote(quivers in disgust)

WOW IS HE EVER A GREAT ACTOR... HAHAHA

With lines like that I'm suprised he didn't win the award for Best Supporting Actor!
kuya1284
QUOTE (Andason @ Jul 6, 2003 - 2:16 PM)

Oh and thanks for the Vin Diesel Quote(quivers in disgust)

WOW IS HE EVER A GREAT ACTOR... HAHAHA

With lines like that I'm suprised he didn't win the award for Best Supporting Actor!

I think he acts way better than Keanu Reeves tho... tongue.gif
Inferno
"Whoa."
jayi12-15psi
I know kung fu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.