Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Flooded.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
sugarfree
My car last friday died on my street when i was coming home from work. I drove probably 2 miles while the car was misfiring because spark plug wire#3 came off the distr. Well i cant get it to start now and when i take the spark plugs out, theres fuel all over them I took all 4 of them out to let the fuel dry in there. But i still seem to be having the same problem when i put everything back together. It wont crank up, itll want to crank up but then itll bog down and die. Any ideas?
spunky393
after flooding an engine, if it is as bad as a case as you have made it, then there is only two things you can really do.

First, take out all the spark plugs and turn the engine over a couple times (this will shoot a lot of the gas (in gas form) into the air.

Second, after spark plugs are dry (and cleaned off with a wire brush, unless they are just really dry), actually, if it has been a while, replace your spark plugs and wires (check your distributor too).
THEN when you go to start the car, hold the gas pedal all the way down to the floor. This tells the cpu to shut off the injectors and try to start.

However, you can try the end of step two first. (THEN when you go to start the car, hold the gas pedal all the way down to the floor. This tells the cpu to shut off the injectors and try to start.)

Well, good luck

6gc ghost
Spunky
sugarfree
Cool. Thanks. I will try that as soon as the battery recharges. I never knew holding the pedal down at a start closes the injectors, alway thought that opend them up more.
sugarfree
still have a problem. I bought new spark plugs because the ones i had were all black. I put the new ones in, tried your steps Nothing. Took the spark plugs out and theyre all black. Whats going on?
soulshadow
Take out all spark plugs, then one by one take one of those BBQ lighters ( Yeah the lighter with the long nose for lightihng flames) and light the inside of your cylinders and back off a few feet.

OR

Leave your spark plugs out for a few hours or Mins to let the gas Evap.

Have you checked your Coil? It bogs really bad if you don't pre-gap your sparkplugs yourself or check them and make sure you didn't buy BOSCH they suck.
sugarfree
Thanks guys. But i had to take the car to the shop. Nothing worked, the mechanic found a busted front engine mount, and he said its probaly the timing belt, It hasnt been changed in a long time, several years. SO hopefully this fixes the problem but its a lot of money. The egnine mount looked like the bushings tore or something. Man...
spunky393
QUOTE(soulshadow @ Nov 12, 2006 - 8:54 PM) [snapback]501754[/snapback]

It bogs really bad if you don't pre-gap your sparkplugs yourself or check them and make sure you didn't buy BOSCH they suck.

I have Bosch +4's and love them. Never had any problem with them. How many test did you do on Bosch plugs before you labeled them as "suck"????

Anyways....sorry that none of that helped. Did you take all 4 out and turn the engine over with the gas pedal all the way down? (the lighter thing sounds like a ok thing to try).
sugarfree
yea but i know its the timing belt. Its been 10years since it was replaced. I had bocsh, but not sure if it was the +4. The ones i had lasted week. Weak, so i went with NGK iridium.
Punisher
QUOTE(sugarfree @ Nov 13, 2006 - 10:58 PM) [snapback]502149[/snapback]

yea but i know its the timing belt. Its been 10years since it was replaced. I had bocsh, but not sure if it was the +4. The ones i had lasted week. Weak, so i went with NGK iridium.

Unless your timing belt broke.. why would it be the belt? UNLESS it jumped a few teeth...

The lighter in the cylinder idea is a dumb one at best.

If you want to see fire, set the plugs in the wires and set the plugs over the holes on the valve cover and crank the engine.. You'll see plenty of flames.

What people here should have recommend you do is check for spark.. basically how I just described.. If you don't feel safe doing that just set one of the spark plugs with it in the wire on the exhaust manifold (or heatshield) and have someone crank the engine while you look for spark.. if you don't see spark then you know something isn't right with either the ignition system or the timing belt broke.

Then you can take the cap off of the distributor and have soemone crank engine while you look to see if the rotor turns.. if it does not turn.. then you know the Tbelt is shot.

Also you can crank and crank crank and crank all you want.. you won't flood your engine.

This happened on carbureted vehicles because the fuel isn't metered as presicely (sp?) as with a fuel injected vehicle. So you basically just had a **** ton of fuel running from the carburetor down the intake manifold and then you would get puddles of fuel collecting in the intake manifold as well.

But since we have port injection.. the fuel gets shot straight at the open valve.. The computer won't let the engine get flooded. For every shot of fuel that is sent into the cylinder and is unburnt, it will just get launched out of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke.
soulshadow
QUOTE(spunky393 @ Nov 13, 2006 - 5:25 PM) [snapback]501985[/snapback]

I have Bosch +4's and love them. Never had any problem with them. How many test did you do on Bosch plugs before you labeled them as "suck"????

Lets just say that as soon as the RPM hits more than 3000 going fast it goes chug chug chug chug, then voom chug chug voom!
For a 7a or a 5s it might be great but a 4A that runs on premium....No way!. Im just against the 4 tip desizn of Bosch plugs. Its quality of the plug not quantity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.