Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power stearing Belt
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
y2komar
Whats up.
I still have the 5s engine on my celi and have been having probems with the Power stearing belt. I run my car very hard every day. The belt got loose and I have been too lazy to fix it. Now in NY its too cold to be messing with the car that is why I have not done the 3s swap. I will try to fix the belt on the 5s but my question is .....
Is this a common problem.. Can I just tighten the belt and fix the problem .... Or are there any other mayor problems I do not know about

I cant even take the car into or out of a parking spot because it does not turn.

Kwanza26
replace the belt and see what happens. It's a 10-15 dollar part...
Bitter
he should still be able to muscle the wheel over without the power, i wonder if something else has gone wrong? i'm the wheelman at class when we push dead cars in and out. if i can steer a full sized bronco with muddin tires on it in and out of bays and parking spots then a celica should be turnable.
hitcachi
QUOTE(y2komar @ Dec 5, 2006 - 9:02 PM) [snapback]508150[/snapback]

I cant even take the car into or out of a parking spot because it does not turn.

explain more? Doesnt turn at all? Like with the car on and everything? Just try tightening the belt or replacing it. It really isnt that hard of a job. If your in doubt, buy a haynes manual. But other then that, your going to have to explain more what is going on. Maybe pop the hood and have some one turn the wheel and you look down at the steering knuckle by the firewall on the driver side to make sure that it looks ok.
y2komar

The car power steering war running fine. This is how it started. ....
I bought the car and I like to change all the fluids. The power steering fluid on the Toyotas is the same for the auto transmission. Toyotas usually use drexon 2 or 3. I had a Lexus transmission fluid that was laying around but was type 5 I think. Well the Celica did not state what type to put on it and I went ahead and put the 5 (stupid of me). I run my cars very hard like I stated before. Well after a week or so as I try to park the car the power steering will start squealing and hard to turn. I went ahead and flushed the canister with new drexon 2 / 3 fluid, nothing... with regular power steering fluid, nothing. It was still squealing. I had my brother steer and I looked under the hood and I noticed that the squealing was due to the belt stopping. I pressed on the belt and it was loose..
It is almost impossible to turn the car in and out of a spot. I use my car from a driveway at home to a driveway at work that is why I have not been worrying about it. But it is becoming a headache. I cant go anywhere else with the car. I will tighten the belt and see what happens. The thing is that is dammmm cold here in NY.
Thanks
Bitter
yea, you made your problem ALOT worse by using the wrong fluid in it. all you had to do was tighten or change the belt.
Hanyo
you need to flush your power steering system. It sounds like there is an air bubble if your system.

try lifting the front of the car in the air. then removing the return line to the power steering canister. Then turn your steering wheel from max left to max right. have a buddy fill the canister while you turn your steering wheel. This should clean out all mixed up fluid you put in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.