Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: changing transmission
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
vecho
hello,

i've got problems with transmission - i can't shift into third gear, the stick wouldn't go in it. and as i try to do it, it makes terrible sound. so, i decided to change my transmission. i've heard that if i change my present one into another 6g celica's transmision, the possibility to have the same problem (shifting into gears) again is about 90 percent. hence, i want to install any other car's transmission (that suits) into my 6g celica. what kind of car has the same or suitable transmission for 6g celica? would it be corrola?
hurley97
if its the same kind of transmission [like if your S54 tranny from the Celica has problems so you get an S54 from a corolla] it'll most likely have the same kind of problems. unless your looking for a completely different tranny that'll just bolt on?

did you try changing the tranny fluid?
6th_celi_vert
sounds to me like a synchronizer (SP??)
vecho
no, i didn't try to change the tranny fluid cause i don't think that's the problem. one needs to change the tranny fluid is when shifting process becomes cloggy - the fluid is too old or so... but in my case the third gear jumps out - can that be just because of tranny fluid? i remmember that gear to be very short when it worked, it felt like it goes not all the way in or it's made so...
vecho
anyway, i think it's worth trying changing the tranny fluid, cause if this helps - id on't need to change the whole tranny smile.gif

6th celi vert, do you think it has smth to do with synchronizer??? if so, tell me more about it wink.gif
Batman722
QUOTE(hurley97 @ Dec 7, 2006 - 8:08 PM) [snapback]508780[/snapback]

if its the same kind of transmission [like if your S54 tranny from the Celica has problems so you get an S54 from a corolla]

actually it's the c52 thats in the STs and the Corollas, the s54 is what the GTs have wink.gif
vecho
i need to make a trany swap realy bad, cause the the present one is about to die... i've heard that 6gen st celica's trany can be changed into corolla's trany or so... i am interested in swaping my celica's trany into another type of car (corolla, avensis or whatever fits)

can anyone tell me precisely, what type of trany ( s52, s54 or e153 - i already got confused ) do i need for my car: 6gen, made in 1995, 7A-FE 1,8 l, EFI DOHC 16V, 4 cilinders, 116 HP / 85 kW.

Negative
Seriously - try Pennzoil Syncromesh first. It fixed my friends tranny on his MKI MR2 [very similar tranny to yours] when he had this problem. His is still going 2 years later with many races in between.
Also my old '86 Celica had this same problem. I would have to hold the stick in place when I was in 3rd or it would pop out. A tranny shop fixed it for like $250 [8years ago - would be more now] and I never had any problems again. So for that cheap I highly doubt it was a rebuilt tranny swap. Probably was just a syncro.
jc47
You can probably get your trans rebuilt and/or repaired for about the same price as a used one. If possible, I'd remove and install it yourself and take it to get rebuilt.
vecho
well, the thing is that attempt to fix trany or fully renew it costs 3 times more (in my country) than just swaping it into another one. hence, i want to find the same type of trany from diferent car to fit in my celica...
Bigmeanbulldog55
QUOTE(vecho @ Feb 20, 2007 - 11:03 PM) [snapback]528891[/snapback]

well, the thing is that attempt to fix trany or fully renew it costs 3 times more (in my country) than just swaping it into another one. hence, i want to find the same type of trany from diferent car to fit in my celica...

It costs 3 times as much to put a new syncro in the 3rd gear spot? Were in Europe are you? I'm on my 2nd s54 (GT) trans right now. My first had some issues with all the syncro's, but mostly 3rd. My new one just has minimal issues with 3rd. 3rd is just a hard gear to get into for most people. If you're left hand drive, it's a matter of physics as to how your body has to twist to change into 3rd and the G-forces that your experiencing at the time. You don't have hardly any G's on you when you shift into 5th, and you can't up shift into 1st. If you buy a junk yard trans, you're going to run into the same problem again soon. Check on that price of replacing the syncro.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.