Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I suck at presents
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
BlackCelicaGT94
I got my parents a 50 dollar gift card to McCormick and Schmicks. An upper scale seafood restaraunt. Well I cant keep a secret when it comes to gifts so I told them. and they said that they would rather me keep it for myself and my boyfriend. I asked them about 50 times to please take it because it was a gift and they refused. They said they had their years of nice restaurants and that I should keep it for my bf and me because we dont really have the money to go to those places often. So we went 2 days ago. It was yummy food and bill came to 100 bucks.

So I was going to get my bf DDR for Xbox but since he cant afford to get me a gift this year I thought that I wasnt going to blow 100 bucks since when we do go to nice dinners that are 100 bucks Im usually paying so really i do nice things for him all the time. So i got him a DC hat and DC shirt but I gave it to him last week because I couldnt keep the gift. lol

now I have nothing to give anyone on x-mas. this sucks! lol.

Oh any suggestions from people on what to get my bf's parents? They are small town folk and dont go out to eat anywhere but hte bowling alley restaurant. I thought of getting them a gift basket of food but I dont think theyre into that kinda stuff. I thought of a restaurant gift certificate but my bf said they dont go out but to the bowling alley and the bowling alley doesnt have restaurant gift certificates. I thought of a bottle of wine but not sure theyre the type to enjoy a nice 30-50 dollar bottle of wine.

Supersprynt
Depending on how long you've gone out you really dont need to get them a gift.
BlackCelicaGT94
2 months but theyre getting me something and i was raised you get someone a gift when they invite you over on a holiday or any special occasion

shes bought me dinner several times and i bought her a large boquet(sp) of flowers.
lagos
get them something for their house. a food processor, pop corn maker or some crap like that.
hitcachi
george foreman grillz baby!
BlackCelicaGT94
She has a george foreman. I think im going to put together a basket with a popcorn bowl, popcorn, candies, and a gift card to a movie place because they buy a lot of dvds.
shin
get them a bowling ball or pin
Supersprynt
Thats ridiculous.
saleeka
QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Dec 19, 2006 - 2:13 PM) [snapback]511684[/snapback]

She has a george foreman. I think im going to put together a basket with a popcorn bowl, popcorn, candies, and a gift card to a movie place because they buy a lot of dvds.

Smart move... I've always been taught that when you are invited to someone's home, you bring somthing along the lines of wine, fine chocolate, etc... Somthing that you can add to the table that dosen't upstage the meal that the host provides, but adds nice touch to it smile.gif
saleeka
QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Dec 19, 2006 - 10:55 AM) [snapback]511646[/snapback]

McCormick and Schmicks

Delicious! We have one here in Minneapolis on Nicolette, and I've been there a few times for nice occasions. Best seafood i've ever consistantly had :-) I am jealous of you who live on the coasts and take fresh seafood for granted wink.gif
saleeka
double post....
BlackCelicaGT94
I dont take seafood for granted lol. Im not a huge fan. I like my salmon or Halibut right off the grill. No fancy stuff. The salmon I had was good it was the nasty white sauce it was in that was not great.

So i think im going to go to Cost Plus and get them some wine and glasses tonight
DomGT
Her parents are getting:

$70 microwave
$150 ladder

My parents are getting:
$100 gift card
$30 worth of mach51 razor blades
$50 worth of prepaid carwashes

Your gift giving sounds weak, are you not in the Christmas spirit or something? Go out gift shopping tonight, and don't forget about me.
BlackCelicaGT94
What sounds weak about anything I got??

My present buying consists of

Mom and Dad - bought them something but they gave it back to me
Brother - parents take care of buying his present that i give to him
Boyfriend - DC hat and shirt --- hes not buying me a gift so I think spending 50 dollars on him is adequate. Plus weve gone to 2 100 dollar dinners in the past month that i paid for.
Boyfriends parents - bottle of wine, and a movie giftbasket that includes a 20 dollar best buy card.
CelicaBuddy
Yeah I dont that sounds weak at all... Christmas isnt all about how much money you drop on someone, its the thought that counts... She didnt even have to get her bf's parents anything... Its the fact that she's nice enough, and thinking of them, that matters...

But anyways... I'm getting my boyfriend's mom a $50-75 starbucks card... I dont know the first thing about her, but when I went to Missouri with her, she was freaking out that there wasn't a starbucks anywhere laugh.gif So I figure coffee would make a good present haha But she has done so much for me, and she barely knows the first thing about me. I wanna do somethin nice for her smile.gif
ILuvMyCelica95
IIII LOOOVEEEEEEE CHRISTMAS!!!!

I've bought gifts for my parents, grandma, grandfather and step grandma, my other grandma,my sister, her husband, a present for them together,my boyfriend, his parents, his sister and his brother, my cousin and her 3 kids, & my 5 aunts, my 2 best friends, and my best friend's g/f. I think that's all.

I did go very overboard for my boy. He's just so easy to buy things for. frown.gif

First i made him a memory book that is huge. The last page contains 4 tickets to the Jets Raiders game on 12/31
Then i got him this $50 yankee zip up that he wanted
A nice pen for his desk because hes a teacher
A shirt and tie
a fish tank that he wants for his class room + a gift card to petco for the fish
I ordered a $50 replica jersey from Duke university but it's sold out, i am really pissed about that.
I also got him a chirstmas tie, but i gave that to him yesterday so he can wear it tomorrow.
And a lot of posters for his class room, but i also gave that to him already.
and a little something from Victorias secret. wink.gif

i think i'm done shopping for him...
jgreening
QUOTE(ILuvMyCelica95 @ Dec 21, 2006 - 9:46 AM) [snapback]512146[/snapback]

and a little something from Victorias secret. wink.gif

He's going to look funny in that...

j/k.....but you better post some pics just so we can make sure that its acceptable... wink.gif
BlackCelicaGT94
I wanted to get my boyfriend a Nintendo DS but thats not going to happen

His bday is in February but so is V-day so I think im going to get him a new skateboard and Nintendo DS or Wii (if i can get one by then which im hoping i can)
shin
i need to start making my wife get me stuff...... i nvr get anything... not for my b'day or any other day.. kindasad.gif
BlackCelicaGT94
Im a damn good girlfriend

I pay for my bf's gas when he comes to see me
I pay for his 5 dollar ferry ticket when he comes out
We go to dinner - 2 of them were 100 bucks each
We go to movies

:-) I make alot more money than he does so I kinda have to play the man of the relationship when it comes to paying. It doesnt bother me all that much. but sometimes it does.
shin
QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Dec 21, 2006 - 6:00 PM) [snapback]512178[/snapback]

Im a damn good girlfriend

I pay for my bf's gas when he comes to see me
I pay for his 5 dollar ferry ticket when he comes out
We go to dinner - 2 of them were 100 bucks each
We go to movies

:-) I make alot more money than he does so I kinda have to play the man of the relationship when it comes to paying. It doesnt bother me all that much. but sometimes it does.

ya his suga momma
BlackCelicaGT94
well he makes minimum wage and I make just about double minimum wage so if I want to see him then its either I pay 25 dollars to make the trip to see him or I spend about 10 dollars (5 in my gas picking him up from the ferry and 5 on his ferry pass) or not see him at all. Also i dont like sitting at home all the time so I either pay to do things and see him or not see him at all. :-(
shin
well someone gotta pay somehow lol.. but yea.. things people would do for love biggrin.gif
Kwanza26
I don't get you white folk sometimes. It's really not a complicated matter ya know... it's a gift... you be gracious and accept it... right? What do I know... just a silly foreigner. If my parents denied something I gave them, no matter how silly or crappy... I'd be a bit ticked off.

Anyway... yeah... you're too good to your bf Nat. Speaking as a man and representin'... I'd NEVER EVER let any girl, let alone my girl pay my way... no matter how broke I am...
saleeka
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 23, 2006 - 1:37 AM) [snapback]512613[/snapback]

Anyway... yeah... you're too good to your bf Nat. Speaking as a man and representin'... I'd NEVER EVER let any girl, let alone my girl pay my way... no matter how broke I am...

I can understand to a degree that feeling, but at the same time, I would find it a hard time to tell the person i'm with that they can't show me the same gratitude of treating me to a nice evening in the way that i'd wish to show them...
Kwanza26
QUOTE(saleeka @ Dec 23, 2006 - 7:56 AM) [snapback]512622[/snapback]

I can understand to a degree that feeling, but at the same time, I would find it a hard time to tell the person i'm with that they can't show me the same gratitude of treating me to a nice evening in the way that i'd wish to show them...

fair... but the question really is: What's the line between gratitude and expectation? It's always nice to do something for your significant other but do it out of goodness and not of expectation. I personally prefer to do a majority of the grunt work, as I would expect from most guys who are dating those women who deserve it... but no man/woman should ever expect that or do nothing of equal value in return... In other words... Be the first to volunteer, but be gracious (allude to my previous comments on graciousness when recieving) when help is offered... a gift persay. wink.gif
ExSane
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 23, 2006 - 3:06 AM) [snapback]512623[/snapback]

QUOTE(saleeka @ Dec 23, 2006 - 7:56 AM) [snapback]512622[/snapback]

fair... but the question really is: What's the line between gratitude and expectation? It's always nice to do something for your significant other but do it out of goodness and not of expectation. I personally prefer to do a majority of the grunt work, as I would expect from most guys who are dating those women who deserve it... but no man/woman should ever expect that or do nothing of equal value in return... In other words... Be the first to volunteer, but be gracious (allude to my previous comments on graciousness when recieving) when help is offered... a gift persay. wink.gif

Nicely said! I agree with Kwanza.
celicaST
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 23, 2006 - 12:37 AM) [snapback]512613[/snapback]

I don't get you white folk sometimes. It's really not a complicated matter ya know... it's a gift... you be gracious and accept it... right? What do I know... just a silly foreigner. If my parents denied something I gave them, no matter how silly or crappy... I'd be a bit ticked off.

i agree, i enjoy treating my girl all the time. she deserves it. as long as she says thank you, im ok with it. i just wouldnt feel right having her pay my way to the extent nat seems to be. but sometimes she offers to pay, and i let her.
CelicaBuddy
me and my bf do the whole half and half thing... Makes things a lot easier i think smile.gif That or we take turns paying for each other... we tend to keep things pretty equal between us.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.