Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Acceleration modifications For 94 ?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Mochibandit
Howdy howdy,

First time posting here I apologize if I noob it up. I've got a 1994 Celica ST i believe with an automatic transmission. Im looking for some tweaks to boost the acceleration, it seems a little sluggish. I live in Hawaii so im not trying to make a top end powerhouse I just want something that will go from 0-60 or 80:) a bit quicker than now. My car is completely stock with zero mods to it at this point.

I am completely non mechanical and theres no way the wife will allow me to put nitrous in the car so this has to be something I can pay someone to install:) !

Thanks in advance!
KAMiX
Hi Mochi and welcome smile.gif

Most people will tell you to search the forums more, but I would suggest you get an intake and exhaust (with header). It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you get a chip as well, you will start to notice a bit more acceleration.
Mochibandit
well i dont want to break the bank but I would spend up to a couple grand on it. Its just getting irritating having old ladies dust me pulling away from stop lights:)

Aloha
KAMiX
Ok well as I said go for an exhaust, people who only want sound will get a cat-back exhaust only, but I'd say go for a custom header as well. Find a good exhaust shop and get some quotes on prices. Go for a mandrel bent full exhaust system, from 2 - 2.5 inches, and depending on price choose between mild or stainless steel. Add to this with a new intake. I'd suggest a K&N filter just from personal experience, and while the exhaust shop is doing the exhaust get them to belt up a stainless cold air intake. This will go nicely with the exhaust.

You will probably still have enough to look into getting an addon chip installed, which will play around with your ignition map and fuel/air mix etc. to get better performance out of the engine.

Other people may have different advice, but I think most of what I've said is pretty standard as first mods.
Mochibandit
coolieos yeah one think I liek about the car is that its quiet id rather not sound like a chainsaw rally:)
Matthew
unless you run a turbo dont get anything above a 2.5" exhaust

i would suggest 2.25"

also for a couple of grand you can go on celica.net and buy a turbo kit from there in the buying/selling forum for liek 1000-1500

click here
kuya1284
Like kamixZR said, start off with a intake and exhaust. However, with your ST, you really won't see that big of a performance gain. You'll still get smoked with the slow 7A.

You could either waste your money on a turbo kit, or do a motor swap. IMHO, it's more cost effective to do a swap.
94celicaguy
damn kuya, are you an ill guy or what? everytime i see you post it is something with a negative comment on it. i would explain why spending money on a 7afe is worthwhile but i dont feel like it at this time. its too late. but you could always be different and pull 300hp out of the 7a biggrin.gif
kuya1284
QUOTE (94celicaguy @ Jul 8, 2003 - 1:59 AM)
damn kuya, are you an ill guy or what? everytime i see you post it is something with a negative comment on it. i would explain why spending money on a 7afe is worthwhile but i dont feel like it at this time. its too late. but you could always be different and pull 300hp out of the 7a biggrin.gif

Just stating facts bro. I've been into this **** since I was 16. Why do you think I got rid of the 7A... and bought a 3S. It's just not worth dumping money into. A 5S maybe... but I think if you're going to spend that much money on a 5S (i.e. rebuilding the internals and creating a 5S-FTE monster), less money can be spent on an ST185 clip.

But if you want, I'll just keep quiet... stop stating the facts... and sit back and enjoy the show.

wink.gif

Little things like a lightweight flywheel, ignition upgrades, stage 3+ clutch, etc is only worth the money if you have a high-end motor (i.e. V6, turbo, SC, etc) and won't make much of a difference on a low-end NA motor (i.e. 7A-FE, 5S-FE, 4A-FE, etc).

It all comes with experience (and a lot money I wasted) my friend...
kuya1284
QUOTE (94celicaguy @ Jul 8, 2003 - 1:59 AM)
damn kuya, are you an ill guy or what?  everytime i see you post it is something with a negative comment on it.  i would explain why spending money on a 7afe is worthwhile but i dont feel like it at this time.  its too late.  but you could always be different and pull 300hp out of the 7a biggrin.gif

Also, 300 with a 7A is going to take A LOT more money and work than just swapping in a motor.

A more believable goal for the 7A is 180 to 210 HP. I've seen people blow this motor trying to build it up to that level... it's just not practical. It's unique... but not practical. 300 HP for a FF daily driver is just nuts...
Stipt
Welcome to the forums man. As Kuya suggested, I would go with a motor swap. It would be more effective and in the long run if you are looking for some nice power, I would do it. I'm not sure about an ST but I'm sure people will tell you to get a full front clip from http://www.venus-auto.com or http://www.jarcoinc.com They sell full front clips of engines and stuff. So hey man, good luck and hope **** works.
KAMiX
The reason I didn't bother to mention swaps is that Mochi sounded to me like the kind of person who wants to play around a bit with his car on a cheap budget, and not have it in the garage for extended periods of time. Lets be honest, a swap is a big event for someone who hasn't done one before, and it doesn't sound to me like he's after serious HP mods to his car.

I could be wrong though.
Coomer
Welcome to the site. smile.gif Since you're willing to spend a couple grand on it, you could afford to do a swap assuming you do a lot of the work yourself. If you check out the engine/performance forum's sticky thread about feasible engine swaps, you'll find more info about what engines are feasible to swap into sixth generation Celicas.
ghostdog
4agze swap is your best option. 200 supercharged horsepower with a pulley.

otherwise its gonna cost you easily 1000 to get your 7a into the high 15s. not really worth it, but a fun project if you're just learning about these things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.