Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roundabout This
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
BlackCelicaGT94
I personally am a huge fan of Roundabouts and traffic calming circles as long as other drivers know how to use them. I think they are a great way to keep traffic flowing. But I do not know if I could handle the one below. Itd be fun if it was empty though to rally thru it

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/magicradio2.htm

A better view of the Swindon "Magic" roundabout:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
celicurr
whoa!! roundabouts in a roundabout!!
forkee
lol that looks rediculous

someone let their kid do city development
Consynx
that makes it basically so you can do a right instead of Roundabouting it..
aka pointless and gay.

let someone do a 330 before making somethign that complicated for a shorter 30.

sorry, it's crazy, but ihate it
devilsden97
seriously..in the US (this is OBVIOUSLY in Europe) if you suggested this for a road/traffic pattern...they would straight up laugh u out of there office.

DSToyo
that is a pretty pointless roundabout
97lestyousay
Is that the one from European Vacation?
"Look kids Parlament - Big Ben"(sp)
Something like that.
snapshotgt
crazy laugh.gif
BloodyStupidDavey
QUOTE(DSToyo @ Jan 5, 2007 - 11:29 PM) [snapback]515481[/snapback]

that is a pretty pointless roundabout

Actually not. Roundabouts in general are a pretty good design in that they can provide a significant reduction in conjestion compared to other junction layouts (which does make you wonder why UK road planning officials are now systematically installing traffic lights on major roundabouts throughout the country; thus negating the benefits of having a roundabout in the first place).

The Magic Roundabout at Swindon replaced a traditional junction where five major roads converged, very significantly reducing conjestion. There are similar roundabouts at Hemel Hempstead and Colchester in the UK.

The trick is to ignore the central roundabout completely and just think of the road as a series of mini roundabouts one after the other, but where turning left at the first one takes you to the same place as turning right at the first one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Swindon%29
Akira_g4
i wonder how it is to drive thru one of those
forkee
if a limo or a big rig went through there and got stuck, or crap got spilled on the road, there still would be a major pileup!
raz128
Abstract thing about it is going one direction in the outer circle and the opposite direction in the inner circle. It's not THAT bad a design, I guess...seems a safer and more viable option then tackling the huge roundabout in Paris (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the location, tho you know which one i mean:))
celiracer
That is a crazy one. Here in Nebraska there is one close to my town, but its not that crazy. I don't like it but the city said that its cheaper to do then have a whole bunch of on and off ramps built. But i hate it.
94_st_hatchback
DANGGG!! the one down here in long beach is nothing compared to that!! heres the one we have in LB.
IPB Image
Valo666
craziest roundabout ive seen is the one around the arche de triumph in paris..its the only place in the entire world were if you get into an accident, you insurance wont cover it. it was nuts..when we crossed over to it using the underground tunnel, there was a military truck goin around..we were at the arch for a good hour and he still was there and couldnt move over..lol
Alex-UKSC
Driven the Swindon roundabout & it's not as bad as it appears but still total madness.
tomazws
The design looks crazy, but IMO, it's a lot better than the one in Long Beach.

The one in long beach FORCES cars to go anti-clockwise. Though, the crazy looking one in UK lets cars go clockwise on the outter ring, and anti-clockwise on the inner ring.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.