Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil burner
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
silentmelons
My motor drinks oil it needs filling up probably twice between service which is not right. The thing is i can't figure out where it is going it is not burning oil and it is not leaking so where is it going?. If anyone has had same trouble please help it is costing me a fortune in oil.
Tony-94
Is your motor running hot as well? Maybe the coolant level is down or radiator blocked causing oil to heat up and evaporate.
silentmelons
The engine doesn't run hot ever. Has no one else experienced this? it is kind of worrying. I am going to take it in for service and get it checked out b4 some real damage is done. Anyone ideas???
rlan214
QUOTE (silentmelons @ Dec 26 2002, 04:02 AM)
My motor drinks oil it needs filling up probably twice between service which is not right. The thing is i can't figure out where it is going it is not burning oil and it is not leaking so where is it going?. If anyone has had same trouble please help it is costing me a fortune in oil.

i know what u mean dude mine does the same thing its actually a leak --- forgot the name a mech suppose to fix for me for bout 300$
silentmelons
where is the leak?
Dickster223
hey my 94 st does the exact same thing. when u find out whats going on please tell me. It's like it just dissapears, well please tell me when u figure it out THANKS
JiGGa
My 95 Celica GT does the same thing...I'm not sure what it is either. The mechanic checked it out but couldn't find anything wrong with it. He tried changing the PVC vavle but somehow the oil level is still down.
JiGGa
Mines is even worse. My oil is at extreme low levels once a week.
claudio
I have a '99 GT and I have to add some oil between oil changes. This subject has been brought up before. One conclusion was that when you ride hard (5-6rpms) oil is burned up some how? (no leaks) When I'd get onto the freeway, I would gun it all the time speeding up the on-ramp trying to get to 65mph as quickly as possible. I still do that, but not as much. I seem to use less oil. I keep a quart of oil in my trunk just in case.

If you're mechanic figures it out, definitely let me know.
BlackBeauty
My previous Paseo did that as well....but it was 1991 car.
Check around the oil filler cap and dipstick for any traces of oil. If there is, it is a small leak, although significant enough to require you to fill the oil that much.
rlan214
has anybody went to get a engine leak test ?
CJOHNST3
I also have a 99GT and have the same problem. In fact I had the dealership look into it and they claim, which I have a hard time believing, that it is acceptable to burn 1 quart of oil per 1500 miles. Now let's do some quick math here, If you get your oil changed every 5K miles like Toyota recommends, you would have less than a quart of oil in your car when getting the oil changed. This has been the case for me for the last 2 oil changes (the reason I brought it in).

I drive the car faster than most.....I think....I drive 80 miles round trip to work daily, and once a week 210 miles round trip. It is NOT unusual for me to run a 90 to 100+ MPH for many of those miles. I hate driving slowly.

Regardless, I can't believe burning oil that fast is "Toyota Acceptable."

Fortunately my car is covered by 6/100K warranty so I have 2+ years/50K still left to figure it out.
rlan214
QUOTE (CJOHNST3 @ Jan 17 2003, 07:52 AM)
I also have a 99GT and have the same problem.  In fact I had the dealership look into it and they claim, which I have a hard time believing, that it is acceptable to burn 1 quart of oil per 1500 miles.  Now let's do some quick math here,  If you get your oil changed every 5K miles like Toyota recommends, you would have less than a quart of oil in your car when getting the oil changed.  This has been the case for me for the last 2 oil changes (the reason I brought it in).

I drive the car faster than most.....I think....I drive 80 miles round trip to work daily, and once a week 210 miles round trip.  It is NOT unusual for me to run a 90 to 100+ MPH for many of those miles.  I hate driving slowly.

Regardless, I can't believe burning oil that fast is "Toyota Acceptable."

Fortunately my car is covered by 6/100K warranty so I have 2+ years/50K still left to figure it out.

you use synthetic oil right ?
cuz I have to chg mah oil every 3k and that regular
JiGGa
Mines is once a week it goes to extreme lows. Like every couple of hundred miles. CJOHNST3 if you figure out the problem please let me know. Cuz this is really biting into my budget.
94blackst
All dealers say that is acceptable.(I think it is bulls**t)
Whn you drive hard, you do burn a little oil. I have quit driving hard to see what would happen, and i have barely used any oil.
I was burning three quarts in 2800 miles(thats how I knew when to do the oil change), and now I burn maybe a quart in the same mileage.
JiGGa
Same thing happens to me but it's worse I burn off 3 quarts in a week. Which is like 200 miles or so. The manual say it'l burn a little oil if it's pushed too hard. I think it might be the oil too. I'm going to get my oil changed. I think someone told me if you get cheap oil it'll evaporate or something. What oil do you people (someone that does not have to add 3 quarts per week) use?
west_minist
Hi guys!

You engine will always lose oil.

Now it depend on what grade of oil you use and how hard you drive.

10-40W, 5-50W, 20-40W & rpm > 5000 will reduce your oil level. Yo oil will evaporate.

Have some one rev you car or drive behind your car and see is you are seeing white smoke with a blue tint. This would mean the the piston rings might be going or your vavle seals maybe going.

You should really check your oil level everyday, especially if you like to drive hard and using high grade oil.
94blackst
The best oil that I have found(since mine has higher mileage) is the valvoline for high mileage engines. if I use 10w30, it burns a little more than the 10w40.
Matthew
west minst you took the words out of my mouth. check the seals. also look where the oil filter is and see if any oil is leaking out of there. I use mobil one synthetic and fram oil filters and I barely burn any oil even with boost.
Dickster223
Has anyone fiured out whats going. There has'nt been a post in awhile THanks Richard
Jason
Oil is to Engines, as Chocolate is to People.
Dickster223
My car takes oil in the front and spits it out in the back what would make it spit oil out my muffler u can rev it up and specks of oil comes out whats the deal anyone know? Thanks
robman5
oh yeah well my engine takes the oil and spits it all over itself outa the valves. its not a pretty sight...good thing its gettin fixed right now!
Neipas09
Ok lets see if i know anything...

When you are runnin your car and shiit, the piece that moves up and down in the hole (where the gas/air is shot into and the spark plug ignites), a little bit of oil is shot in there to help keep the metal on metal action to around zero since that would cause some major damage. so my guess is that your deal that puts oil in there is messed up since that is the only place that i know of that oil goes into that is connected to your exhaust.
I think this is how it works, i am pretty drunk and might be thinkin of stuff backasswards! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.