Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: radiator leaking??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
nate95
anybody know what to do to fix a leaking radiator?
Bitter
get a new one. im not being sarcastic. just about no quicky repair will hold pressure for very long on a radiator. you can get a new one for relatively cheap and installation is easy as pie.
SL44
Mine leaked so I did the same as I have done for a couple other cars, get a new one from 1800RADIATORS (now they are something like radiators.com). I originally did this like three years ago. The good thing about them is they have a lifetime warranty. I am now on my 7th radiator from them; no exaggeration. I still have problems with the engine temperature when it is over 90°F outside and going up a hill; forget about running the AC. Typically, the temp gauge does not budge from a little under ½ way between the full scale. On those hot days, I constantly have to keep an eye on the gauge and back off on the speed when the gauge approaches ¾ full scale.

I have used the 1800RADIATOR replacements in my old '77 Celica GT and '95 Ford T'bird and had no problems. They cannot explain why their product does not seem to work too well on my '94 Celica GT.
I also replaced my cooling fan #2 motor, this helped a bit as the old one was able to be stopped easily with my hand, wrapped with a towel.

I recently flushed the cooling system, then replaced the water pump and thermostat when I did the timing belt; I'll have to wait until the weather gets hotter to see if these make a difference. I'm dreading the onset of summer and those 100°+ days that accompany it.

I can't be the only one this cooling problem has happened to; anyone have any suggetions?
Bitter
switch upto a larger radiator. if you have a manual, a stock radiator from an automatic may have a larger cooling capacity. if not then an all aluminum radiator which is thicker should be able to dissipate the heat. i hear koyo radiators are good.
SL44
Bitter, thanks for the suggestions. I just hate throwing more and more $ at it, but I'll have to do something; I'm tired of sweating, literally and metaphorically.
6gsillyca
use an egg. a raw one. put it into your filler cap.
Bitter
QUOTE(6gsillyca @ Jan 11, 2007 - 3:46 AM) [snapback]516974[/snapback]

you trying to make a toxic poached egg slushy?
Batman722

that only works on TV macgyver

also, I have a 95 ST radiator M/T no leaks if you want it, $50 shipped
nate95
you really have one? and sell it for $50? how hard is it to pull out the stock one and put another one in? my fans are already off.
Batman722
if the fans are off then it's real easy. Disconnect the 2 hoses (upper and lower) then 2 bolts on top and slide it up and out. If the fans are out it's a 5-10 min job. When you put it back in, just put the fans on the radiator first, then drop it in place wink.gif

PM me if you want it
snapshotgt
I've got a GT radiator for sale as well if anyone is interested. It is is real good condition. PM me if anyone is interested.

Thanks-
6gsillyca
QUOTE(Bitter @ Jan 11, 2007 - 3:55 PM) [snapback]517140[/snapback]

you trying to make a toxic poached egg slushy?

No. if you are driving down the freeway and you suddenly spring a hole, putting an egg into your rad will help seal it. The egg will cook, and the pressure will temporarily "plug" the hole. It works better than leaving a coolant trail.
king_wsk
When I bought my car, the lady was asking $4,500, but when I popped the hood and saw a the steaming radiator (squirting fluid up too), I made the offer for $3,500 and she bit. So, I changed the radiator and then 3 weeks go buy and it starts leaking again. Thankfully the place I used had a lifetime warranty on it and I got another one. I haven't had a cooling problem since... well until I found out that my car burns oil.

Make sure you have plenty of oil. Our 94 GT hatches like oil... alot. Well all 5sfe engines over 75k miles do.
nate95
QUOTE(Batman722 @ Jan 11, 2007 - 7:07 PM) [snapback]517163[/snapback]

if the fans are off then it's real easy. Disconnect the 2 hoses (upper and lower) then 2 bolts on top and slide it up and out. If the fans are out it's a 5-10 min job. When you put it back in, just put the fans on the radiator first, then drop it in place wink.gif

PM me if you want it

hey, thank you very much for this offer, iam going out of town today and will be back saturday evening, i will let you know then if i want the radiator, i more than likely will buy! thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.