Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil Pack 5sfe
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
95CelicaRacer
I was just wondering if anybody knows of a way that our distributor powered engine can be converted to coil pack because I have been seeing some JDM 5sfe's for sale on ebay that have coils on them. Also, would there be any huge difference in throttle response or power? Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif
Dr_Tweak
QUOTE(95CelicaRacer @ Feb 8, 2007 - 12:49 AM) [snapback]524858[/snapback]

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a way that our distributor powered engine can be converted to coil pack because I have been seeing some JDM 5sfe's for sale on ebay that have coils on them. Also, would there be any huge difference in throttle response or power? Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Yes, it could. You would have to tap into the distributor wiring for the coil negative wire, remove the stock coil, and run that wire to your external coil, and then run a switched 12v positive to the other wire on the coil. Then find a distributor cap that fits that has a plug to attach the lead sprark plug wire, get or make one, and attach the other end to the coil.

On a stock car, there would be no difference at all in power or response.

-Doc
alltracman78
Hold on.

You mean single coils on each cylinder, not moving the coil from the dist to somewhere else, right?

If so, not with the stock ECU.
97^ Camrys have 2 coils running 2 cyl each, but I don't think even that will work with your stock electronics.
You could of course use the Camry ECU, but I don't know how much wiring would need to be swapped.

And yeah, for a stock car, really not worth it IMO.
Dr_Tweak
Oh... I thought he was referring to an external coil setup.

Yeah the only way to do that would be to swap over the setup from the newest 5SFE made, and it would be pretty hard to install the whole crank/cam sensor setup and whatnot, unless you swapped over the whole engine.

-Doc
95CelicaRacer
Yeah, I already know I would have to change the ECU over. I could use the JDM 5sfe ecu and I can get it cheap. I was thinking about this mod because I have a crap load of mods on the motor already. I was just wanting that extra edge! biggrin.gif
Dr_Tweak
QUOTE(95CelicaRacer @ Feb 8, 2007 - 3:05 PM) [snapback]525022[/snapback]

Yeah, I already know I would have to change the ECU over. I could use the JDM 5sfe ecu and I can get it cheap. I was thinking about this mod because I have a crap load of mods on the motor already. I was just wanting that extra edge! biggrin.gif

You'd have to figure out some way to set the crank and cam sensors up in the 5SFE head and block, and that would not be easy at all.

-Doc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.