Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CLUTCH OR GEAR BOX???
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
xxFROZENxx
hi guys i had this noise going for ages now n wat 2 know whats causing it???
Every time when i shift down from gear 4 or 5 to gear 3. i always get tis crunch noise in my gear box. and i don't have any idea what is causing it.. its fine when iam on gear 1 n 2 shifting up but when iam on gear 4 n 5 shifting down it always crunch.. can any one tell me why?? is it my clutch or gear box?? tanks
celicast3sgte
3rd gear synchro is goin out. my ST (7a-fe) does that too. it helped the smallest bit to change the oil out with new stuff (75w-90) synthetic is better but not needed. but pretty much nothing you can do about it aside from a rebuild or replacing the whole trans.
Bitter
try some synchromesh gear oil first, that may help it along for a while longer.
celicast3sgte
^^^ for the record that stuff wasnt recommended for our trannies and could make the problem worse in some cases! You will never actually fix the problem so I recommend sticking with just the regular 75-90 synthetic gear oil.
xxFROZENxx
yea i tryed that already and it still aint working.. i tink i should go with the whole transsmition swap.. does any1 know how much it cost.
Alan
QUOTE(xxFROZENxx @ Mar 10, 2007 - 9:11 PM) [snapback]535126[/snapback]

yea i tryed that already and it still aint working.. i tink i should go with the whole transsmition swap.. does any1 know how much it cost.

A whole Transmisson Why? the gear box is totaly fine, the only thing you have to do is replace the syncromesh and maybe the 3rd gear as I did. I dont think it is worth getting a new tranny.

I fixed mine because I did m swap and simply replaced the 3rd gear as il was burned cause of exessive wear (my fault) and the syncromech didnt cost as much as a whole tranny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.