Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Cover Leaking Oil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mikeismad0408
IPB Image

the bolt next to my oil cap is leaking oil terribly bad, i can drive up to my local shop which is about 3 miles from my house and i can look behind the valve cover and there is oil all over the place near my injectors, im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what it could be, i dont know if there is a washer that may be busted or what, but not being sure i dont really want to take anything apart until i asked some of you guys that would know
Batman722
step 1. tighten it
Bitter
if that doesnt solve it you'll want to replace the valve cover gasket, which is VERY easy.
mikeismad0408
yeah, i keep tightening it and it keeps leaking, what is a good brand of gasket so i know what to get when i go get it later today.
playr158
advanced auto or Auto zone should have them in stock

Advanced caries a brand called FELPRO which is what i used to replace mine and it did fine smile.gif
alltracman78
OEM wink.gif

mikeismad0408
thanks playr, i got the felpro and tomorrow first thing imma get out and change it, does anyone know what oem torque specs are for those bolts?
mikeismad0408
ok i got the bolts off and now i cant seem to get the valve cover off, im sure there is something simple that im missing, but i cant seem to find what im doing wrong, i dont want to try and pry it off and mess something up so i wanted to ask you guys first
95CelicaST
I wouldn't worry about hurting it. Its probably stuck from being on there for 10 years.
playr158
you have to make sure you removed ALL OF THEM

there are the ones directly ontop of the valve cover + you need to remove that plastic "cover" that runs across the top i believe there are 2 10mm bolts on each side
1 is back by the oil cap, 1 in the front + 4 on top?

so it should be 6 bolts...then lil screw driver pry action smile.gif
mikeismad0408
yeah i had them all off, and when i tried to pry, haha my screwdriver tip broke, so im searching for a bigger screwdriver right now
95CelicaST
You could always try a soft-headed mallet to it tongue.gif
Bitter
DO NOT PRY IT OFF! you can crack the cover and gouge the metal gasket surfaces. use a soft hammer to tap at it from different sides and use a putty knife to go around the edge of the cover to cut the seal.
alltracman78
yeah

Be careful with that screwdriver.
If you are breaking the tip, you are probably gouging the sealing surface.
Which means another leak....
mikeismad0408
well i got it off and got the new one on with no problems, not leaks as of yet, and im going to go out first thing tomorrow and check, but i took a hammer and wrapped it in a hand towel and knocked it a couple of times and it came loose and i changed the gasket, but i have spark plug gasket things as well, and im not really sure how to get the old ones out, so i didnt mess with them as they appeared to be pretty new anyway...
jason
i believe the spark plug seals or whatever are just glued in, i think i read somewhere that installing new ones you have to apply adhesive first
hurley97
you should just be able to tap them out from the top and rubber mallet the new ones in from the underside
mikeismad0408
i didnt even bother changing them, didnt have any sealant or anything so i just left the old ones in, now i have an even worse leak coming from near my distributor, not really sure what the deal is, i now have oil all over my transmission frown.gif and im burning oil kinda bad too, anyone know what would fix my burning oil problem?
hurley97
it was probably leaking from the distributor and the valve cover so when you changed the valve cover and it couldn't get out that way anymore it now all comes out of the distributor. probably the O ring, you have to take the distributor off to change it
mikeismad0408
how long does that take?
alltracman78
Did you use sealant on the cam/dist cover corners?
mikeismad0408
yeah thats why im confused as to why its leaking, unless its turned sideways or something and its not making a good seal...it wont hurt to pull it off and check will it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.