Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burning Oil
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
RedC4Me
I have noticed for quite some time now that when i start my car a good amount of smoke comes from the tail pipe. I know my rings are probably going bad and im really not looking forward to paying 500+ to get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem and gotten the ring job to fix it??? Is there something cheaper i should try first to fix the problem? any feedback would be much appreciated! thanks
Kwanza
QUOTE (RedC4Me @ Jul 18, 2003 - 2:06 PM)
I have noticed for quite some time now that when i start my car a good amount of smoke comes from the tail pipe. I know my rings are probably going bad and im really not looking forward to paying 500+ to get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem and gotten the ring job to fix it??? Is there something cheaper i should try first to fix the problem? any feedback would be much appreciated! thanks

If you're a mechanic... yu can drop in a new (used/rebuilt) motor cheaper than the price of parts/labor, on replacing piston rings. Depending on where you're from, I'll guess that you can get a used motor (7AFE or 5SFE) with all accesories (starter, intake manifold, alternator, etc...) for around the price for parts/labor for something like piston rings.
edo17982
if u're good to do yourself...do it.
I also have this problem now...anyway th rings are not going definitely in 1 week....maybe u can go for a few month without cracks.... smile.gif
A puff of blue smoke on start-ups is actually pretty common, especially if you have the 5SFE engine. As long as it goes away pretty quickly and your engine doesn't smoke all the time, it's just your valve guides are worn.

What happens is after you shut off your engine, a small amount of oil gets pass your worn valve guides and into your cylinders. When you start your engine the next time, the oil is being burn off and thus you get a puff of blue smoke on start-ups.
It's not a performance issue nor an indication that your engine will die soon.

You could possibly replace the guides without removing the head, but it takes a skilled mechanic to do it. Otherwise, live with the smoke, or perhaps try one of those oils designed for high mileage cars; most *claim* to recondition worn seals and valve guides but I dunno........
snadman
I have the same problem. It depends on what color the smoke is...
White/Smoke color: In summer weather, when it's more humid and moist, moisture will build up in your exhaust and get burned off as soon as your engine starts and will cause a lot of white/hazy smoke.
Blue: Exactly what he said. And no you don't have to be skilled to do it without taking the head off. You need to shove an air hose coming from an air compressor into one of each valves which will cause the opposite valve to stay up so you can replace the valve guides. While your at it, might as well replace the valve seals too. They're cheap parts, and it's an easy fix.

***EDIT***
Also, the puff of blue smoke is normal like he said. It's not even that big of a problem. When you start fouling out spark plugs left and right then you can be worried.
edo17982
****...my rings are going.... frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
Today I had a competition for exhaust noise during a meet...my exhaust sound 124dB but what I saw wasn't funny at all....
whean at WOT ang going over 4500 Rpm a big quantity of blue / gray smoke came off the exhaust....
**** **** ****!!!! within december I've to change rings!!!!! maybe I'll use 4AGZE pistons and, if I'll have cash, I'll go for cutom rods....so I'll can run a decnt turbo setup!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Anyway....for the moment... frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif

EDIT

luckily the compression is fine but the oil consumption a bit high....1Kg for 1000Km..... frown.gif
jayi12-15psi
now, I'm not a mechanic by any means, but my valve guides were worn and I'd smoke a little after I'd start up. I decided when it started to smoke when I started it about 3 times a week, that maybe I'd try to run some fuel system cleaner through the system and run premium for a while.

I know it sounds a little crazy but I do not smoke anymore.

give it a try, I dont suppose it could hurt biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jayi12-15psi
edo17982 Posted on Jul 20, 2003 - 2:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****...my rings are going....   
Today I had a competition for exhaust noise during a meet...my exhaust sound 124dB but what I saw wasn't funny at all....
whean at WOT ang going over 4500 Rpm a big quantity of blue / gray smoke came off the exhaust....
**** **** ****!!!! within december I've to change rings!!!!! maybe I'll use 4AGZE pistons and, if I'll have cash, I'll go for cutom rods....so I'll can run a decnt turbo setup!!!   
Anyway....for the moment...   

EDIT

luckily the compression is fine but the oil consumption a bit high....1Kg for 1000Km..... 

man, we need some more smileys like celicanet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.