Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine losing coolant
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
celicamike
Hey guys, my car has been losing coolant steadily for a few weeks now. There are no visible leaks, so it seems that I have a leaky head gasket. What do you guys think? can you recommend any of those radiator and block leak stop remedies from the auto parts store? I'd like to know what I should do about this, apart from telling people I have a "custom water injection".
alltracman78
Don't assume it's a HG and act accordingly.
Verify and THEN act.....

Don't use any of the stopleak stuff unless it's a temp fix.
And once you fix, get a GOOD [not Prestone from Walmart] coolant flush to get all the crap out.

Hit up autocrap and see if they have coolant pressure testers to rent for free.
If so, rent one and use it.
celicamike
OK, i put some alumaseal in with the coolant and now everything seems fine. Is there anything else I should do? can I just leave it the way it is now?
celicamike
sorry, double post.
Gary
QUOTE(alltracman78 @ Apr 6, 2007 - 2:55 PM) [snapback]544069[/snapback]

Don't use any of the stopleak stuff unless it's a temp fix.

^^^^^^^
Werd
tangcla
You should be able to see where the coolant leaks out if it is an external leak - it goes pink-white (if you're using the Toyota Forlife red coolant) or looks like a brown surface rust (if you're using green coolant).

If it's a headgasket you will get some vapours and your engine oil will have a layer of sludge on top of it, it's hard to explain but you'll see it if you have it. Conversely you will have a milky layer of oil in your coolant when you open the radiator cap.
hellsyphon
You better get that fixed soon or that stop leak is going to clog water jackets and whatnot in your engine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.