Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do what to do
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
BlackCelicaGT94
So im 21 and have had my car for about 5 years. Its treated me well but now has rust in the water passageway so it looks like tubgirl is under my hood cuz it sprays all over. So its time for a new engine. The 3sgte is not an option. Basically my only option for a quick fix (quick being having it done by end of summer) is to get another 5sfe with lower miles and drop it in. Well after playing cat and mouse on the freeway with an evo yesterday my car started to steam up on the freeway. I called my dad and he came and double checked everything and it basically just needed some pressure released. I told my dad I was tired of this and wasnt sure if maybe I should just get a new car cuz I dont wanna dump money into a 94 celica that used to be really nice but time is taking its toll on the leather seats and what not. He said I could look at cars but it would have to be a Toyota or Lexus and he wouldnt help me with buying one. He said he would rather have me move out. So I called my mom and she said that they dont mind me living at home and maybe getting a new car was a smarter option.

Rent around my area is 900 dollars a month. I live 2 miles from work so moving out of my town would just cause me to spend more money in gas than I am now. Also, renting doesnt seem like the smartest option. You spend 900 a month and in the end you dont own anything. So id be wasting about 12,000 dollars a year if i moved out and thats not including other bills id have if i moved out. I would like to wait for when I get 25,000 dollars from my grandpas will and put a down payment on a townhome. hes 90 now but who knows he could live to be 100.

So what do you guys think? start looking around at cars or move out in december?

If I get a new car im looking at a 2002 IS300 in black. Im not going to go for the first one I find. Im going to take my time and find the well priced, low mileage, 5 spd, black or charcoal colored one.

You may say why not just dump a couple grand into the celica and fix what needs doing. well i still wanted to get a new car in the next 2-3 years anyways. Dont worry the celica wont go anywhere. It would be staying as the back up car for the family.
Chanh55
I think the IS300 will be a good match for you. Very zippy and has a lot of nice features a girl would like.
BlackCelicaGT94
eeeh i dont like the sound of that. i dont like girlie type of cars. :-(

what features do you mean a girl would like??

im excited cuz i talked to my parents and its either a new car, a new engine and i move out. so its nice to be outta debt and talk about these things :-) and know now that its not just talk. that one of those 3 things will happen
96bluevert
I've never liked the idea of having to rent. you don't get any money back from it when you decide to move out..so i'd say go with the Lexus, the IS300 is pretty nice. plus the extra u save from not renting or buying a house right away, you can either put into the Lexus or the Celica smile.gif
tomazws
Get a car. There is absolutely no point of moving out of a place 2 miles from work, unless you can't get along with your parents.
BlackCelicaGT94
My parents and I get along for the most part. of course we have our ups and downs. and 21 and living at home isnt terrible. Just living 2 miles from work and having to pay no rent. it just seems like a dumb move to move out and pay 900 dollars a month on rent. Sure id like to be living on my own but i look at my friends who have been out for 2 - 4 years renting and im like what a waste of your money.

I say if you can live at home then take advantage of that till like 24. lol. I think by 24 someone should definitely be outta the home unless ur in school or something else is holding you bakc
Jen
I'm basically trying to make the same decision myself. Eh, but in your situation getting a new car would be better.

But in my case, my parents are going to buy a condo and rent it out to me. So I wouldn't exactly be "wasting" money in rent. So I'm stuck on what to do.
amysmojo
Hmmm I say stick w/ the free rent & get the car!!! You love your parents place anyway smile.gif Why give up a good thing!
goferris
hell yeah get the is300 those things are awesome. you just need to make sure you put the altezza tags on it. now don't get me wrong i do love the celica especially with the gt four front end conversion (i'm so jealous) but come on. i would get the lexus over it any day. it's rear wheel drive and very sexy. i hear they are really quick too.
and i don't think they are a girly car at all especially with the rear wheel drive.
CelicaBuddy
my sis has an IS300... Wanting to get rid of it too because she's going to a mass expensive school and wont be able to afford the car payments... At least thats been the rumor flying around my house lately anyways.

The car is NICE. Like holy crap nice... Very quick too. I remember one time I asked her to see how long itd take to get it to 100mph, and one small shift and it hit 100 from 60 in like a blink of the eye... it was crazy. My car it takes like 30 seconds... It can hit 80mph in like 3rd gear easily after watching my sis drive it.

Ugh. I want it. laugh.gif makes my celica look like a friggen joke.
Random_Stranger
*sigh* Alright, fine........ You can move in with me. But if you snore, you best watch it! And plus, if I put my name on the OJ, don't be drinking my ish. And last........ Ya betta be down with OPP.... Ya you know me! You down wit OPP?! Ya you know me! Who down with OPP?! Jussssssssssssst kidding there Natty.

Moving out is a great experience. Sure things are hard, but it is absolute freedom! I been doing it for going on 2 years now. Except, now I need to make more money, because I can't wait for my other roommate to get his act together for him and his girl to bounce. She is over here everyday and I already had a talk with him about that. If things don't clear up soon, things bout to get real ugly (Other than my face). Okay. So........ If you're parents are cool with you staying there...... Take advantage. Spoil yourself. I am sure with your great attitude, and physique..... You can land yourself a $$$$$ man who can take over when your parents get burnt out on ya. Best of luck! Ooops......... I forgot. Um..... I was going to say something else to contradict what I just said........... But I forgot what it was. Oh well. Lemme know when........ When you decide what choo-gunna-dou
BlackCelicaGT94
QUOTE(CelicaBuddy @ Apr 7, 2007 - 12:22 AM) [snapback]544216[/snapback]

my sis has an IS300... Wanting to get rid of it too because she's going to a mass expensive school and wont be able to afford the car payments... At least thats been the rumor flying around my house lately anyways.

The car is NICE. Like holy crap nice... Very quick too. I remember one time I asked her to see how long itd take to get it to 100mph, and one small shift and it hit 100 from 60 in like a blink of the eye... it was crazy. My car it takes like 30 seconds... It can hit 80mph in like 3rd gear easily after watching my sis drive it.

Ugh. I want it. laugh.gif makes my celica look like a friggen joke.

Well if shes looking to sell it let me know! :-)
Chanh55
QUOTE(BlackCelicaGT94 @ Apr 6, 2007 - 3:59 PM) [snapback]544116[/snapback]

eeeh i dont like the sound of that. i dont like girlie type of cars. :-(

what features do you mean a girl would like??

im excited cuz i talked to my parents and its either a new car, a new engine and i move out. so its nice to be outta debt and talk about these things :-) and know now that its not just talk. that one of those 3 things will happen

Nothing in particular... "luxury" cars just have a whole bunch of features... It's like they thought about everything (for the most part...)

Check out the huge list of standard features for 2002 IS300s... Tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't want all this...

2002 Lexus IS300 Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
-2,997 cc 3 liters 6 in-line front engine with 86 mm bore, 86 mm stroke, 10.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
-Premium unleaded fuel
-Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 9.4
-Multi-point injection fuel system
-Main 66 liter premium unleaded fuel tank
-Power: SAE and 160 kW , 215 HP @ 5,800 rpm; 218 ft lb , 296 Nm @ 3,800 rpm

2002 Lexus IS300 Handling, Ride & Braking Standard Features
-ABS
-Brake assist system
-Four disc brakes including two ventilated discs
-Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
-Immobilizer
-Fullsize alloy rim internal spare wheel
-Wishbone front and rear suspension with stabilizer bar independent with coil springs

2002 Lexus IS300 Exterior & Aerodynamics Standard Features
-Body side molding
-Front and rear body color bumpers
-Coefficient of drag: 0.29
-Day time running lights
-Driver power heated partial-painted door mirrors with automatic operation , passenger power heated partial-painted door mirrors
-External dimensions: overall length (mm): 4,486, overall width (mm): 1,725, overall height (mm): 1,410, wheelbase (mm): 2,670, front track (mm): 1,496, rear track (mm): 1,486 and curb to curb turning circle (mm): 10,394
-Front fog lights
-Complex surface lens Xenon bulb headlights
-Heat reflective glass
-Luxury trim alloy on gearknob
-Metallic paint , black paint , gloss paint , mica paint , pearl paint
-Rear window
-Tinted glass on cabin
-Weights: curb weight (kg) 1,476
-Windshield wipers with variable intermittent wipe
2002 Lexus IS300 Interior Standard Features
-Air conditioning with climate control
-Roof antenna
-Peripheral anti-theft protection
-Front and rear ashtray
-Audio anti-theft protection: integrated in dash
-Manufacturer's own audio system with AM/FM
-Cargo capacity: all seats in place (liters): 286
-Front seats cigar lighter
-Clock
-Compass
-Computer with average fuel consumption
-Dashboard full console with open storage box , floor full console with covered storage box
-Delayed/fade courtesy lights
-Cruise control
-Front seats cup holders , rear seats cup holders
-Door ajar warning
-Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats
-External temperature
-Floor covering: carpet in load area
-Floor mats
-Driver and passenger front airbag
-Sports seat
-3-point reel height adjustable front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners
-Front seat center armrest
-Lockable glove compartment
-Height adjustable two head restraints on front seats , height adjustable three head restraints on rear seats
-Headlight control with time delay switch-off and dusk sensor
-Illuminated entry system
-Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 993, rear headroom (mm): 958, front hip room (mm): 1,341, rear hip room (mm): 1,369, front leg room (mm): 1,085, rear leg room (mm): 767, front shoulder room (mm): 1,336, rear shoulder room (mm): 1,359 and interior volume (liters): 2,526
-Low fuel level warning
-Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch
-Power steering
-Front power windows with one one-touch , rear power windows
-Front reading lights
-3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side, passenger side and center side
-Rear seat center armrest with trunk access
-Bench fixed three rear seats
-Automatic operation rear view mirror
-Remote fuel filler door release
-Remote control remote trunk/hatch release
-Front roof airbag
-Front seat back storage
-Upgraded cloth/velour seat upholstery with additional upgraded cloth/velour
-Seating: five seats
-Front side airbag
-Eight speakers
-Leather covered steering wheel
-Tachometer
-Driver and passenger illuminated vanity mirror
-Ventilation system with recirculation setting and micro filter

tomazws
I also love reading these features... I remember one time I was reading the standard features of a 2002 Tacoma S-Runner, and it says "Halogen headlights", "Passenger side mirror".... oh gosh..

QUOTE(Chanh55 @ Apr 11, 2007 - 4:15 PM) [snapback]545731[/snapback]

2002 Lexus IS300 Exterior & Aerodynamics Standard Features
-Body side molding
-Front and rear body color bumpers[/b]
-Coefficient of drag: 0.29
-Day time running lights
-Driver power heated partial-painted door mirrors with automatic operation , passenger power heated partial-painted door mirrors
-External dimensions: overall length (mm): 4,486, overall width (mm): 1,725, overall height (mm): 1,410, wheelbase (mm): 2,670, front track (mm): 1,496, rear track (mm): 1,486 and curb to curb turning circle (mm): 10,394
-Front fog lights
-Complex surface lens Xenon bulb headlights
-Heat reflective glass
-Luxury trim alloy on gearknob
-Metallic paint , black paint , gloss paint , mica paint , pearl paint
-Rear window (I didn't know cars don't come with rear window!??!?)
-Tinted glass on cabin
-Weights: curb weight (kg) 1,476
-Windshield wipers with variable intermittent wipe
2002 Lexus IS300 Interior Standard Features
-Air conditioning with climate control
-Roof antenna
-Peripheral anti-theft protection
-Front and rear ashtray
-Audio anti-theft protection: integrated in dash
-Manufacturer's own audio system with AM/FM
-Cargo capacity: all seats in place (liters): 286
-Front seats cigar lighter
-Clock (This supreme feature sure makes me wanna get this car ASAP...)
-Compass
-Computer with average fuel consumption
-Dashboard full console with open storage box , floor full console with covered storage box
-Delayed/fade courtesy lights
-Cruise control
-Front seats cup holders , rear seats cup holders
-Door ajar warning
-Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats
-External temperature
-Floor covering: carpet in load area
-Floor mats (I wonder which cars don't come with floor mats!?!?!?)
-Driver and passenger front airbag
-Sports seat
-3-point reel height adjustable front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners
-Front seat center armrest
-Lockable glove compartment
-Height adjustable two head restraints on front seats , height adjustable three head restraints on rear seats
-Headlight control with time delay switch-off and dusk sensor
-Illuminated entry system
-Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 993, rear headroom (mm): 958, front hip room (mm): 1,341, rear hip room (mm): 1,369, front leg room (mm): 1,085, rear leg room (mm): 767, front shoulder room (mm): 1,336, rear shoulder room (mm): 1,359 and interior volume (liters): 2,526
-Low fuel level warning
-Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch
-Power steering (Sorry, I would like to buy a car without power steering, I like labor steering.)
-Front power windows with one one-touch , rear power windows
-Front reading lights
-3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side, passenger side and center side
-Rear seat center armrest with trunk access
-Bench fixed three rear seats
-Automatic operation rear view mirror
-Remote fuel filler door release
-Remote control remote trunk/hatch release
-Front roof airbag
-Front seat back storage
-Upgraded cloth/velour seat upholstery with additional upgraded cloth/velour
-Seating: five seats
-Front side airbag
-Eight speakers
-Leather covered steering wheel
-Tachometer
-Driver and passenger illuminated vanity mirror
-Ventilation system with recirculation setting and micro filter

orvillescelica
I guess im in the other camp where i think that whether or not you get along with your parents, you should move out and be on your own. Yes you might have to rent, but thats life and independence and self-sufficency is a part of it. If you get an IS300, the payments may hinder you from moving out for a lot longer than you might have been able to before. Soon, 23, 24 rolls around and you might still be living with the folks.

But in your circumstance i see your point. If the Celi is dying, there is no way around it. Its not worth putting another 5s into. So really, for this case, a new car would be the right choice. But an IS300, which i love btw, is sort of an expensive choice for someone in your financial situation. Not saying you are poor, its just that "new car or move out of the 'rents" isnt the most ideal financial quandry. I think if you aimed a bit lower, say an MR2 or newer Corolla, you could have a new car and move out within a very reasonable timeframe.
jason
id get the car, then like you said look to buy a place of your own instead of renting, unless its temporary (college) i dont see a point to renting personally, at least buy a cheap house that you can sell down the road n move on without a total waste, ps is's are awesome!
6gcSTVT
Stay at home, enjoy being rent free, and buy the lexus. wait a couple years, save money and find another place to live, maybe somewhere cheaper? I guess I'm too used to the non-city life and price where it costs $1000 for a 4 br house and 600 for a single br apt. When i see everyone talking about paying 900 a month i cringe. good luck with everything
spolski07
my celica didnt come with floor mats...
Consynx
Chanh
-full blown gay
--ready for your any need 24/7/365
--likes leather
--smooth ride
--can take a beating
ILuvMyCelica95
QUOTE(spolski07 @ Apr 12, 2007 - 8:27 AM) [snapback]545912[/snapback]

my celica didnt come with floor mats...

New or used?

My sisters 07 Equinox came w/o floor mats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.