Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intercooler pipes: Aluminum, SS, or Aluminized Steel?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
99GT
Price, durability, whats good or bad?
elvasoshexai
when i was looking this up b4...

aluminum seems to be the best... it's what ic piping should be made of.
cause it dissipates heat. basically rite after a hard run you can touch it and you won't get burned.

aluminizedsteel/ss keeps heat in.. which you don't really want.

aluminized steel will rust (inside of pipe) so rust stuff that flakes off might go through ur engine... but when i talked to a few people they said they didn't have problems even driving rain/salt/snow for a couple yrs

al also will not rust.

al is a lot softer you hv to be careful when using clamps. t-bolts can easily crush if it u overtighten... when u get bov flange welded requires someone that knows how to weld AL... and if u decide to weld the pipe together instead of clamp... u require someone that knows how to weld AL and to bead the ends

SS is most expensive...
then AL
then aluminized steel...

i think AL seems best... then SS then aluminized steel... but i guess it's really arguable

i kinda did a rough pricing it out... aluminized steel is so much cheaper than al or ss that i can rebuy all my pipes 3-4 times for the cost of buying al/ss once... so assuming aluminized steel lasts 2-3yrs no prob... if i replace every 3yrs... it basically lasts me 10yrs...

my thinking is prolly flawed in some way.. hah... but that's what i came out with... altho u mite want more expert advice lol
99GT
Aluminum is what I'm planning. Light and dissipates like you mentioned.

SS is expensive and heavy.

Aluiminized steel is cheap and good enough,

I got Manny's setup quoted for $300 all pipes and bends in aluminized steel.

elvasoshexai
where did you get that quote? this is all the pipes u ordered right?

IPB Image
jcaron9gt4
QUOTE(99GT @ Apr 14, 2007 - 12:49 AM) [snapback]546562[/snapback]

Aluminum is what I'm planning. Light and dissipates like you mentioned.

SS is expensive and heavy.

Aluiminized steel is cheap and good enough,

I got Manny's setup quoted for $300 all pipes and bends in aluminized steel.

I got the same minus 2 90's for 100 shipped...aluminized steel
elvasoshexai
ya... 300 is like... almost the price of SS

i used these places to get online quotes:
Aluminized Steel
AL/SS
lagos
you dont even want to know how much good 304 stainless costs.
x_itchy_b_x
im a fan of http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s_promot_widget
bead rolled edges. tbolt clamps. reinforced silicon couplers.
99GT
Post up your wisdom lagos haha....

so $300 is too much? I thought it was pretty cheap. My local performance shop.

Boost Factory in Bloomington, MN
elvasoshexai
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Apr 13, 2007 - 11:56 PM) [snapback]546619[/snapback]

im a fan of http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s_promot_widget
bead rolled edges. tbolt clamps. reinforced silicon couplers.

wow.. that is incredibly cheap... i wonder how good are those since the prices he has are about 1/4-1/5 of what i normally see
presure2
good quality 304 stainless will cost you 4-500 for pipes alone.

aluminum is the way to go if you know someone who can weld it, and bead the ends for you.

alumizied steel does the job, but youve GOT to keep an eye on the insides of the pipe.
playr158
aluminum or bust
rjbibeau
boost factotydoes good work, he made my 2.5" ss down pipe and hooked me up with perfect power smt6 piggy back.
angrymike
stainless is stainless. you pay more for the better bender. as long as you get your stuff from a reputable source, your getting the same thing that everyone else is getting.

companies don't have to charge fair market price. in fact, the best bends that i've ever gotten are from the cheapest place that i've found.

aluminum is the best option due to the heat dispating properties. you want somthing that will heat soak fast and disipate fast.

while your sitting at a light your pipes will heat soak. so as you take off the pipes will start to cool. you want your piping to cool instantly so you get the benifits from that awsome fmic you have. stainless or aluminized steel retain a ton of heat. soon as you heat them after that first pass, they usually stay hot.

aluminum is lighter too. when your engine is moving around and you have big heavy piping, chances of a coupler blowing off or pipes hitting things increases.

its usually more expensive, however the benfits usually outwiegh the cost. you can usually get aluminum for the same price as stainless. problem is finding somone to weld it.

the other thing that most people don't think about is what if you using stainless intercooler pipes and your welder doesn't backpurge, your going to get some sugaring in the piping.

this is bad for two reasons:

1. you might end up sucking slag into the engine
2. there is a rough serface at each weld causing turbulence.

a good welder can not back purge and get minimal sugaring, however most welders doing automotive stuff arn't good welders.
playr158
well also this is IC pipe, you can do it without welding as well, with probably less than 8 couplers
elvasoshexai
stupid question... can u install a bov flange w/o welding?

cuz after seeing this thread and some of those prices... i'm kinda considering alum... except a lot of the welders that i find that do alum.. only do it for bigger stuff/bigger orders
playr158
it depends what kind of blow off valve you run....i know the HKS you can get a Samco T-hose which allows you to clamp 2 pieces of IC together and mount a blow off
(see DEFGEPH's profile)
Defgeph
IPB Image

Samco t-hose with an HKS 1" adapter
elvasoshexai
QUOTE(defgeph @ Apr 20, 2007 - 1:58 AM) [snapback]548763[/snapback]

IPB Image

Samco t-hose with an HKS 1" adapter

damn.. they don't make it in 2.25"
Defgeph
You can get the hose in what ever size you may need. The little T piece that attaches to the BOV flange is 1 inch wink.gif
angrymike
the more couplers, the more prone to having issues with pipes blowing off. not to mention spending an arm and a leg for the couplers and clamps.

couplers work, however welding is a lot better.
lagos
QUOTE(angrymike @ Apr 20, 2007 - 10:05 PM) [snapback]548973[/snapback]

the more couplers, the more prone to having issues with pipes blowing off. not to mention spending an arm and a leg for the couplers and clamps.

couplers work, however welding is a lot better.

thats all a matter of opinion. i like t-bolts over welding everything. i have never had a single pipe blow off with t-bolts and its very handy to have everything come apart in sections when you have to work on the car. couplers also allow the piping to move and flex as the engine torques in the bay.
presure2
im a middle of the road guy when it comes to that. meaning, i like the idea of welding some of the pipes, but still keeping a couple couplers in there, (at the minimum one hump hose on each side of the piping, pre and post IC) with most of the setups in our cars welding everything becomes impractical when trying to remove it to work on the car, ect.
for my particular setup, i'd like to have the "hot side" in 2 sections, and the cold side in 3.
99GT
sticky? jw cause cleared a lot of my questions...I've learned quite a bit...
angrymike
if you design it properly, the most you would need usually is 5~6 couplers. on some setups, you might nee more, however the lest amount of couplers the better.

extra couplers and maintnence shouldn't be in the same senetence. nothing like dicking around with some extra couplers. extra time, more money and more things that need to be replaced in the future.

most people try to eliminate extra stuff under the hood.

thats like saying, you want a bunch of flanged points on your exhaust for maintnence. you need some break points to take things out (usually two).

anyone ever heard "keep it simple stupid"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.