Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3SGE Vs 3SGTE
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
khye
Hi Guys(and Gals), wink.gif

I have been trying to find performance parts for my 3SGE, but there are not many parts out there...
But I notice that there are some parts which are interchangable between the 3SGTE and the 3SGE.
e.g. Fly Wheel, radiator hoses, pistons etc

Anyone have a list of the parts which can be interchanged? confused.gif
It would open up a whole new world of available performance mods for the 3SGE if there are more parts that can be swapped.

Most catalogs list parts available for Celicas but for some reason the 94-99 3SGE seems to be skipped.
Every other type of Celica is listed.

Should I be looking at the 3SGTE section?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am getting more and more frustrated trying to find even the most basic of mods.
Matthew
most JUN parts are made to fit both engines.

its just the the engine has to bored to 2.2liters instead of how it is now at 2.0L.

whenever you shop a lot of manufacturers will list their parts and the compatible engines and a lot of the time i notice the engine like this: 3S-G(T)E. so i dont know about the rest of you but that tells me that the 3s-ge can take these parts as well.
khye
I am not really too sure about that dude! confused.gif
The Jspec 3SGTE GT4 is 2.0, as is my 3SGE.

In Europe we are lucky enough to have the Japanese imported models, all of which are 2.0 litre
There are some 1.8litre celicas(GT-R) but they are the 5*** series engine and not the 3S***
I think you guys over in the US have the 2.2litre versions.

My best friend here has a 1996 GT4 2.0 (3SGTE)
Mine is the GT 2.0 (3SGE)

Looking at his engine compared to mine most of the parts look identical.
(Except of course for him, the lucky B****** who has a Turbo sitting on top.(and gearbox etc..)

But thanks, I think you are right, from what I have seen most of the parts should be interchangable.
I am just trying to compile a list of exactly what parts are the same.

The reason I started this thread was because I have ordered a new 1997 2.0 3SGTE engine transplant from Fensport over in the UK.

They want to swap out my 3SGE and swap in the new turbo one.

It is expensive, so I was wondering what parts I can keep.
Looking at the new engine, it looks like they are going to be putting in more or less the same parts as they are taking out, seems a bit of a waste of money since my engine is in perfect condition.

Am I making sense, (I am starting to confuse mydelf now rolleyes.gif )

Thanks!
97sccelica
well, a lot of parts are interchangeable because they are the same engine with a few differences such are the head design and the internals.

the 3sge has much higher compression, which is why it cant be turboed cheaply.

get a beams 3sge, throw in performance internals for the 3sgte, and put in the turbo parts from a 3sgte and you have a pretty nice engine.

but now remember, its not as easy as that, it will cost a lot of money and you need to know what you are doing, but it is one of the easier things to do.
most of the parts on the block are the same like pulleys, water pump,power steering pump, distributor cap, cam gears etc. however in doing the swap there are a few things u will need from the st-205 like the map sensor and harness, computer also if fensport is going to keep the stock setup for the 97 3sgte u will need the intercooler pump and all the parts needed to make the water to air setup work. to make things a lot easier and cheaper u could use your stock gearbox instead of the mr2 gearbox which needs to be modified.
Matthew
QUOTE (1900 @ Jul 23, 2003 - 12:19 PM)
most of the parts on the block are the same like pulleys, water pump,power steering pump, distributor cap, cam gears etc. however in doing the swap there are a few things u will need from the st-205 like the map sensor and harness, computer also if fensport is going to keep the stock setup for the 97 3sgte u will need the intercooler pump and all the parts needed to make the water to air setup work. to make things a lot easier and cheaper u could use your stock gearbox instead of the mr2 gearbox which needs to be modified.

he isnt swapping a 3s-gte in favor of his 3s-ge

he is looking for performance parts

Top Secret Japan

and

HKS makes a head gasket that lowers the compression for a lofty 12:1 to 9.5:1 more boost friendly ratio

i would say go with the top secret one
it'll be more but its better

its specificly made for the 3s-ge to handle boost more safely
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.