Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: corvette vs GT4
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
peroxwhysm00
the 5SFTE that pressure2 did gets 1/4 mile in mid 13s....a 1994 corvette LT-1, w/ 300hp 340tq, (auto) get 14.1's? pressure2 has 235hp and 274 tq i think, and he would beat the vette...how is that possible?? theres a huge power difference and i just dont understand...

its just a question i had and im wanderin the logical answer to this....B/c my dad has a 94 LT1 vette (stick) so he would run 13's, and i wanted to race him as soon as im done doin the same thing pressure2 did...

if you can explain this to me any one then thank you
j0e_p3t
i'm guessing weight differences, mt>at, driving skills?
96bluevert
well the fact that the vette is an auto doesn't help it, but there is also a good weight difference between the two cars...the celica is about 2500 lbs as opposed to the corvette which probably weighs well over 3000 lbs (i know those arn't exact numbers, but you get the point)

edit: well also what joe said, it could also be driver skills. (now that i think about it, theres a darn lot of factors that you would have to look into)
devilsden97
please get some facts straight.

presure2's car weights about 2900lbs (he weighed it at the track...half tank of gass, no spare, no jack...)

i dont believe presure2's car has run a 13.x (x is any number)

Defgeph's best time is 13.9 with his 3s.
Batman722
presure2 did 14.06

edit, I put 14.05 first
bccentaur3
I always figured that a rear wheel drive vs. a front wheel drive with the same power, the rear wheel drive will take it any day.
macavely
well technically a 200HP car could beat a 300HP car.. it all comes down to power to weight Ratio. Drive train, Suspension and Tire set up, and
presure2
i never said i ran mid 13s..i said i have the SPEED for mid 13s...big HUGE diffrence.
Negative
Also the vette and camaro guys say their autos run faster times consistantly than the manuals. They claim it's hard to outshift the autos. I have no experience with this first hand but that's what the local L series motor guys say.
Race your dad tho. It should be a good race but I wouldn't put any bets on the Celica.
CaliJeff
I have an automatic 92 camaro v8 5.0 engine, also has an open air-face filter. i raced it with my manual 96 celica 5sfe engine stock at the time. my camaro won by about a second.
Jeremiah
Lots of factors:
* Peak HP doesn't mean ANYTHING. What's more critical in ANY racing (and especially during acceleration in 1/4 mile) is: "What percentage of the time is the vehicle running in it's power band?". If you have a car that has 500 peak HP, and is in it's power band 15% of the race, and I have a comparable vehicle (in weight) that has 300 peak HP, but I'm in my power band 60% of the race, who's going to win?
* Gearing & knowing when to shift is SUPER important in 1/4 mile for the same reason as above. One of the reasons VW bugs are so capable on the 1/4 mile is not just their weight - their gear boxes are damn near perfect for keeping the vehicle in it's power band during most the race. Sure, they may only get 100 HP to the wheel, but it's keeping 80 - 100 of that HP to the wheel the whole way down.
* Driver skill - in the 1/4 mile, it takes more than stomping on the gas to win.
* Is the Vette worn out? A 94 is 13 years old.
* Reaction time, reaction time, reaction time - some people are just SLOW off the line.
* Weight is also VERY critical in the 1/4 mile. Even the weight difference of the drivers (sometimes 50-100lbs) will make a big difference. Let alone the weight of fuel... 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank, full tank. Rotational weight - running aftermarket or HEAVY tires? Vettes have a lot of rotational weight in their tires, they're designed to keep the power to the ground during autoX like racing.

^^^ Just a few things to think about. There's more... but my brain's not working this morning.
slvr_celica_GT_816
yeah thats true my g/fs sister thoguht she could smoke me with a 2006 4cyl altama 5 speed with 176hp but my celica can take it with 135hp
Zimluura
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Apr 26, 2007 - 10:38 PM) [snapback]551298[/snapback]

I always figured that a rear wheel drive vs. a front wheel drive with the same power, the rear wheel drive will take it any day.

from what i understand fwd (being a smaller and lighter drivetrain) will lose less power than rwd by the time the power from the engine actually hits the ground.

that being said rwd sports cars often have bigger & wider rear tires (they don't need to yaw for steering) so that extra traction will let them use more of the power that makes it to the ground.

example on my reasoning (assuming weights are identical):
50bhp fwd car might be getting 45whp, while a 50bhp rwd car might only make 40whp. so, with such low powers the fwd car would win.

500bhp fwd car getting 450whp, and a 500bhp rwd car getting 400whp. either car can accelerate hard enough to turn their tires into smoke and waste power. but the rwd car probably has bigger & wider rear tires so his tires will keep grip under harder acceleration.

no practical experience with either of these cases, but the physics makes sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.