Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine swaps
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
CelicaST_CALI
Ive heard of all these enginge swaps but really dont know much about it.What enginge is the same as the corola.Thats wat i have in my car right now,my dad put it in about a year ago, i only got the car about 6 months ago and im kinda interested in it if its in my price range.Its a 1994 ST coupe.
95CelicaST
the ST has a 1.8L 7A-FE, some corollas do have this, but it might be a 1.6L 4A-FE which is basically the same thing.

If you want to do an engine swap I would go with a 4A-GE - as it is the easiest to swap into an ST.
CelicaST_CALI
no its the 1.8 liter 7A-FE is guess but i know its a 1.8.How much more power would 4A-GE give me and the price.I dont really care if its hard my bro has his own shop and can probly help me out with it.
95CelicaST
Depends on what 4AGE you want. The 4AGE that comes in the Corolla GTS has ~130HP, 4AGZE(supercharged) from 80's MR2 has ~140HP, the Silvertop 20V 4AGE has ~160hp and the Blacktop 20V 4AGE has ~165HP. There is also a 4AGZE from the AE101 Corolla Levin that has ~170HP. Price is all dependant on engine condition, location, company, etc.
CelicaST_CALI
Yea i think i 160-165HP is plenty for me!So i guess its between the Silvertop 20V 4AGE and the Blacktop 20V 4AGE.Also im going to do a some performace mods,such as,air intake,header,exahast,etc.IS there any problems with adding any of those??How much u think either of these engines would roughly cost?thx for the help biggrin.gif
pokemeintheeye
You should think about the blacktop 20v head swap. That'll be a good project. But, if you want something cheaper the silvertop is a good choice. Since you have a brother with a shop you might as well go with the head swap.

Blacktops go for anywhere around $1000 - $2000. Silvertops will be $600 - $1000. Thats engine, transmission, ecu and wiring harness.
CelicaST_CALI
yea i found a silvertop on ebay for 795$ and its in good condition it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celi...sspagenameZWDVW
lagos
keep in mind that the silver tops power output is way over rated. it puts out about 120hp at the wheels or less. probably a 20hp gain from your old motor.
j0e_p3t
i'd go with a 6-speed black top.
CelicaST_CALI
y would it only add 20 hp,he said 160 hp wth
Hanyo
QUOTE(CelicaST_CALI @ Apr 28, 2007 - 8:28 PM) [snapback]552021[/snapback]

y would it only add 20 hp,he said 160 hp wth

because toyota over rated this motor from factory.

toyota claimed that the silver top will put out 160-ish horsepower. But inreality its much less.

So when you do, do this swap. Dont be too shocked your only puting out 120 hp to the wheels.
j0e_p3t
the silvertops claim to be 160 hp at the crank by toyota. but the actual estimate is only like 140ish at the crank. 20 hp gain is a lil low. probably somewhere between 25-35 hp increase. but i've never heard anyone complain with their 4age. most people who swap the 4age are just looking for a lil upgrade over the 7a and not boost happy.
netrata
I'd listen to Lagos, Hanyo, and Joe Pet. Like they mentioned earlier, it will NOT be a drastic change in HP over the 7AFE. For me, I went with the Silvertop because it shares the same stronger bottom end as the AE101 4AGZE. So if ever I wanted to put more money down into the engine to gain more HP, it would be a better engine to do it with over the blacktop. Sure I won't be able to run open ITB's, but I can still gain more HP with better aftermarket parts. You will run into some maintenance parts issues, so please do your research. On the other hand, I am very pleased with the swap. It's not a 3S, but it's good enough for everyday driving. smile.gif
CelicaST_CALI
ok i want to pay around 2000$ on performance for my car.Is it better just to get a big powerfull engine or just stay with my engine and modify the crap out of it?
DSToyo
^probably swap the engine. but how many miles you got on yours now?
j0e_p3t
not much potential with the 7a. if you plan on going over 250 whp, i suggest you save your money for a 3s/v6.
CelicaST_CALI
ok well as i said i have around 2000$ to devote to the performance of my car,wats the best way to get power.If 2000 wont add over 30-60 hp then i say **** it and ill save for a 3s/v6
netrata
Yes do save till it's time to do a swap that is worth doing.
syaoran60085
if i may recommend, i would go for 4AGZE than a silvertop and blacktop for a good reason. it's streetable or drivable in the street plus it have a nice low end torque in low revs with good acceleration response than the silvertop and blacktop.

back then i was thinking of going for silvertop, but then i was thinking about torque and response of the engine then compared it with 4AGZE, 4AGE silvertop, and 4AGE blacktop.

so if you want more power and good low end torque from lower revs that is drivable in the streets, i'd go for AE101 4AGZE biggrin.gif
it have 170hp and you can crank it up to 200hp with some modification to the supercharger or so forth which i dont know the full details about it yet. that's what i am planning to do with my 95 Celica ST manual since it's cheaper and more easier swapping.

plus lighter engine with supercharger so it'll be a good daily or fun ride with good manuevers, cornering and makes your celica alittle lighter than before, and good for using on track if you're into putting your celica in track.

(note: for you all confused i said 95 ST, i owned two celicas now, one is celica gt auto. and other one is celica st manual)
netrata
x2 biggrin.gif More work to put a AE101 4AGZE over a 20v but it will be well worth it at the end when you know it's running right.
syaoran60085
QUOTE(netrata @ May 3, 2007 - 11:48 PM) [snapback]553977[/snapback]

x2 biggrin.gif More work to put in an ~170 HP AE101 4AGZE but well worth it at the end when you know it's running right.

yup yup tongue.gif it will be worth it laugh.gif
SinisterWhisper
I'd go with a blacktop 20v. Just get one with a 5-speed and save the bell housing off your current c-series. Later down the line find a good c160 with an lsd already installed. Swap bellhousings and there you go.
netrata
Here's a very old speedo video after I completed the silvertop swap. This was recorded on a road with a slight uphill BTW. The celica is all stock, no modifications has been done to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM09JGrebEs

Yes, it may not be as powerful as 3s or v6 engine, but it's a good improvement over the 7a. Also, with the new free flowing intake filter, improved exhaust, and replacing the pulleys, responsiveness and acceleration improved and the car has a bit more top end power in the higher RPMs. I'll try to make another vid to see the difference from then and now
syaoran60085
QUOTE(netrata @ May 4, 2007 - 5:22 PM) [snapback]554297[/snapback]

Here's a very old speedo video after I completed the silvertop swap. This is recorded on an road with a slight uphill angle BTW. The celica is all stock, no modifications has been done to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM09JGrebEs

Yes, it may not be as powerful as 3s or v6 engine, but it's a good improvement over the 7a. Also, with the new free flowing intake filter, improved exhaust, and replacing the pulleys, responsiveness and acceleration improved and the car has a bit more top end power in the higher RPMs. I'll try to make another vid to see the difference from then and now

Very nice vid you have up there!
look forward to your new vid that is with free flowing intake filter, exhaust, and new pulleys in your silvertop in action biggrin.gif
i just love the 4AGE N/A sounds when you rev it up to 7500rpm when it was stock tongue.gif
CelicaST_CALI
ok well i want over 150+ hp how the hell with i get that,what engines are we talking about and how much money will it cost?Ill go to 4000$ i think if i have to but no higher.Also IF i buy one of the nicer engines,ill have to get a new tranny right?What else will i have to replace?
netrata
If you go with a direct bolt-on engine like a 20v, you can still use your axles from the 7afe since it shares a c-series transmission. If you get a 4agze, then you'll probably have to get a complete set of axles only for that engine I believe. Doing an engine swap will cost alot less if you do it yourself, but I do advise that you do as much research on whatever you want and see what other parts you may need to complete it (And have some mechanic how-to will help alot). You'll run into some type of obstacle when doing it though, I did at least. And if you want something that's not a whole lot of pain to put in but produce the power that your asking, then a blacktop 20v is your best bet.
syaoran60085
like netrata said, "If you go with a direct bolt-on engine like a 20v, you can still use your axles from the 7afe since it shares a c-series transmission."

go for the 20 valve blacktop 4AGE for your best bet for an easy swap. that engine is over 150hp like you wanted and it same goes for Silvertop 4AGE as well. just the difference between those two engine is silvertop is 5-speed with 160hp and blacktop is 6-speed with 165hp.

if you cant find the blacktop 4AGE then go for silvertop 4AGE, just the blacktop 4AGE is harder to find and abit expensive than the silvertop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have to apologize to you CelicaST_CALI for a confusion with the 4AGZE i just recommended.

basically just go for the blacktop 4AGE, if cant find the engine then silvertop 4AGE will do as well and netrata basically answered your question already. i also got your question answered as well on how much horsepower the silvertop and blacktop 4AGE produced as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.