Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to install gauges?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
6strngs
so, I know a bunch of people have installed aftermarket gauges on here, yet there is no how-to! So, could somebody make one? I mostly just need to know which wires are easiest to splice into for power and stuff for gauges on my A-pillar. also, how can I get the wires into the engine bay? Do I need to drill a hole, and if so, where is the best place to do so? I don't want to see wires in my passenger compartment, but I don't really mind if it's not that clean in the engine bay. so, any help would be great. thanks
bman
if you look around theres information about guage pods and whatnot
Valo666
what i did was used a lotek a-pillar pod, installed the guage wires running down between the dash and side of the firewall, then inside the drivers side fender behind the wheel and before the door theres a rubber grommet there, i took the inside splash sheild off, ran the wires through there then up through the hole in the front drivers side inner fender. You dont see any of the wires, tucks away nicely, but its a bit of a b*tch to run the wires if you got aftermarket seats. Thats probably the easiet way to run em. Mine are all on a switch so they arent on all the time. I hooked the lightin up to them aswell. Made it a bit easier. So when ever i wanna monitor my engine, flick the switch on the drivers side airvent, gauges turn on with the lights, and as soon as im done or dont wanna check em any more, turn off. Mind you all of my gauges are electric, if your gonna be running mechanical ones like your boost gauge *since i know your turboing your 5s*, then its gonna give a reading without the switch being on.
6strngs
QUOTE(Valo666 @ May 21, 2007 - 11:40 AM) [snapback]560045[/snapback]

what i did was used a lotek a-pillar pod, installed the guage wires running down between the dash and side of the firewall, then inside the drivers side fender behind the wheel and before the door theres a rubber grommet there, i took the inside splash sheild off, ran the wires through there then up through the hole in the front drivers side inner fender. You dont see any of the wires, tucks away nicely, but its a bit of a b*tch to run the wires if you got aftermarket seats. Thats probably the easiet way to run em. Mine are all on a switch so they arent on all the time. I hooked the lightin up to them aswell. Made it a bit easier. So when ever i wanna monitor my engine, flick the switch on the drivers side airvent, gauges turn on with the lights, and as soon as im done or dont wanna check em any more, turn off. Mind you all of my gauges are electric, if your gonna be running mechanical ones like your boost gauge *since i know your turboing your 5s*, then its gonna give a reading without the switch being on.

I don't intend to have a switch. I want them on whenever the car is on. and mine will also all be electrical. so, did you splice into those wires running up the A-pillar for power? or did you drop the wires down behind the dash and splice into some wires coming from the fuse box down there? I just don't want to hack into a wire I shouldn't hack into and then have it cause problems.
Valo666
i ran a power wire straight up to the battery with a 20A fuse and a fuseable link. I dont like hacking and splicing into harness wires unless i absolutely have to.
6strngs
so, before I read your reply, I went out and bought a voltage tester thingy. the kind where you just put the clamp onto a ground then tough the tip to a wire and if there is voltage in the wire a light will light up in the tester. what I discovered is that none of the wires in the A-pillar have switchable power. though 2 do have power even with the key out. but yeah, I was using a razor blade to cut into the wires so I could put the tester to them. I just did it to some red wires because I thought those would most likely be power. and while cutting into one I accidently cut into two. there was some smoke and a spark. and in the confusion I managed to cut my thumb with the razor blade... deep... what's worse is, now my alarm/keyless entry doesn't work. I checked all the fuses. the ones in the engine bay and the ones in the dash. none of them are blown! so I have no idea how to get my alarm to work anymore... and if I'm going to be putting some expensive looking gauges in my car, I definately want an alarm.

Anyway! so, you just hooked straight up to the battery? so your gauges would be on even with the car off and the key out? is that why you installed the switch? wink.gif
Valo666
indeed sir...i did it mainly so that when im just hangin out with some friends i can have the doors and trunk open playin music *since all of my friends have crappy sound systems* and i can keep an eye on my batteries voltage.
6strngs
QUOTE(Valo666 @ May 22, 2007 - 4:22 PM) [snapback]560568[/snapback]

indeed sir...i did it mainly so that when im just hangin out with some friends i can have the doors and trunk open playin music *since all of my friends have crappy sound systems* and i can keep an eye on my batteries voltage.

ok. I've talked to a couple people on here since last night and they all said they wired into their cigarette lighters... so I think that's what I'm going to do. now, I just have to fix my car! when I shorted those two wires together last night I thought only the alarm wasn't working... but when I went to go to work this morning I notice that the car doesn't turn over when I turn the key! I double checked EVERY fuse and none are blown... so I don't know what to do. I'm going to trace the two wires I accidently shorted together and find out where they go to...
Hanyo
check your engine compartment. under the main fuse.

that fuse ussually prevents your engine from starting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.