Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side airbags
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
lubu
there is this guy who selling a complete set of lexus seats that have side airbags..i was wondering if i need a seperate sensor for them. he told me that i only need to connect them to a 12v and thats it but im skeptical..
creis
um, I would not connect them to anything, who knows what would happen if they did go off in a crash as there not ment for that car, there not gana be shaped for the sides of that car and could push hard agains the door etc. also NO they need more then just a 12v power supply, there not going to be compatible with a diff car unless it happens to have the same srs system as the original car they came from has.

(I dont know for sure about this, but the risk is yours to take if you really want it, I see no point in messing with the stuff designed to save your life)
lubu
i did a search and found this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-IS300...0/>nameZWD1V

thats the sensor for the side airbag....im just not sure if i only need that to connect to the airbag or do i need like a ecu with sensors for it kindasad.gif
rosander
I might be able to lend a little knowledge, I work at the Toyota tech center here in Ann Arbor (in the seat department actually), but I'm sort of new and haven't worked specifically with airbags, but I am on front seats.

You will need the Lexus SIAB (side airbag) ECU. This will certainly not be wired for a Celica. If you connect them to a 12v battery, you will detonate them and ruin your seat, unless you've detrimmed your seat and taken the bag out. If you're looking to save weight, you might try removing the airbags. The airbag sensors / accelerometers for your current Celica are not made to detect input for a side impact crash. However you try and get them to fit, you should never bet your life on them working. I'd just take them out and use the nice plush leather seats you got from the Lexus.
jason
^^ x2 take em out, seems like alot of work for something you will never know if it will work correctly or worse cause more damage
rosander
This is true, taking the side air bags out would be a fair amount of work.

To be sure these airbags don't go off accidentally, you might want to use some electrical tape and seal off the wire harness connector, should be yellow. If enough voltage ever crosses the pins, your bag could go off and ruin your seat.
lubu
yea im an engineering myself, well undergraduate anyway.....figured that if i want it to work i will need some sensors and and control module..im trying to work out if i can wire everything together without actually hooking it up to the celica ecu...i think its possible..provide voltage, hook up the sensors & airbags, sounds simple but it might work... im also thining of taking you guys recommendation, just leaving the airbags as it is, but im curious to try....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.