Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch blown/NOW INSTALLED (pix)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Daftboy

My clutch has been going for awhile and at the RI meet it really started to bite my @$$.....It drove home fine and was ok...then yesterday I went to pull my car up on ramps and it could not even get the torq. to get up on them. Then there was smoke and all sorts of nasty smells....I knew it was gone...So I ordered this it should be here tommorw (NEXT DAY AIR). I can still drive my car but acceleration is a 2 day process. Tell me what ya think.

Exedy Single Plate Organic Clutch Kit: 16800
IPB Image
PICTURE SHOWN MAY VARY FROM ACTUAL PRODUCT

Torque Capacity Increase 4%
Clamp Load (lb): 1540
Spline Teeth / Major Dia (mm): 21T / 24.1
Disc O. D. (mm): 215
Lightweight Flywheel Part Number: TF01
Weight (lb): N/A
Standard Clutch Kit Part Number: 16074
Applications
1990-97 Geo Prizm 1.6L
1993-97 Geo Prizm 1.8L
1994-00 Toyota Celica 1.8L 7AFE, 1ZZFE
2000-04 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L 2ZZ-GE
1993-97 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 7A-FE
2000-04 Toyota MR Spyder 1.8L 1ZZ-FE
1986-89 Toyota MR-2 1.6L 4AGE
DSToyo
how much $$$, and they dont make it for the gt?
Daftboy
I paid $311 for it
hurley97
Exedy single stage is pretty good. iirc it grabs a little funny at first (lower than you would expect for a new clutch) but comes back and feels fine, grabs really well
Daftboy
is that what you have?
hurley97
no, I have ebay crap (actually Aisin I think, that I actually like a lot) but we put an Exedy stage 1 in the Elise and I drove it right after we finished

its probably the exact same one since it was for a 2ZZ-GE
bufferdan
nevermind....mine was a oem exedy. It feels great though and was only like $150
Daftboy
yea i was going to get the OEM one....but I figured I should upgrade...=]
GTS13
That sounds a lot like my ACT Organic Street clutch. I like it a lot, paid about the same and it does grab funny at first. Starts out almost right off the floor is engaged but as you break it in it moves back to normal.
jcaron9gt4
i have an exedy stage 1 on my car i just put it, almost identical to that. grabs nice and i love it
jason
i dont know ALOT about clutches, but that looks to be good, on my old hatch i put one in with 4 springs on it, then on the coupe i put one in it with 6 slightly smaller springs, it doesnt "chatter" as much so to say and is have a nice feel to it, id also recommend doing your flywheel up while your in there, i picked one up for $60 from napa when i did mine

how much $$$, and they dont make it for the gt?

also - the gt has a diff trans/engine from the gt, hence a diff clutch
stephen_lee
would a stage two clutch be worth it on a stock 7A?
btw, i do drive pretty hard...
i've gotten my brakes to glow once.
Celiracer18
i have the exedy stage 1. its very nice and grabs whenever i want it to but it wont handle much more than a mild 7A i think.
fanboy95
i have the same clutch in my car also. i only paid around $110 with shipping.
Daftboy
I dunno how you paid 110 for it....exedy does make a OEM one which is around 140ish....amybe you have that one?.....

Either way me CK put in my clutch yesterday, we started at around 10am and finished at 3am. It was a very long day and both of us passed out after that but it did get done. Every thing is really smooth and nice , but I'm not used to it after driving with a burnt clutch for 4 months. only 350 miles till its broken in. I'll get some pictures up shortly and when Corey gets up maybe he will do the same (maybe >_>)...lol....either way thats all I have too say.

Everything removed

IPB Image

After having flywheel resurfaced and new clutch placed in

IPB Image

Old worn clutch

IPB Image

The CK himself

IPB Image

G3D45
How hard is it? I mean then you push the clutch pedal? smile.gif
Batman722
Glad to see you and Bung got it done, that old disk looks completely useless laugh.gif

10am to 3am ?!?! daaaayyymm that's a long day, wtf happen ? did you guys take a break and watch a few movies or something ? wink.gif
Daftboy
no breaks....but we did have to go to the junkyard for his brother....then go got the flywheel resurfaced...we had it all taken out by 430pm....then we chilled for a bit and eat...then went back too work...we didn't really work fast just smart so it all went back together without a single problem. biggrin.gif
jcaron9gt4
same thing happen to me only a little worse....started at 9am, didnt get completley done untill 4am. lol, took us 6 hours, just to get my tranny back in. what a bi.tch it was.
supershannon77
You guys do some nice work...impressive!
Daftsgirl
Great job Corey and Eric smile.gif Glad to knwo i dont have to deal with the old clutch anymore smile.gif
purplegt4
did i read right? 10am to 3am? wow that's some great quality time. smile.gif
mr-belowaverage
Is there a decent guide for this job, with pics? I am about to take it on for the first time myself!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.