Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Mufflers
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
TRDDawg
Whats the difference between a normal muffler and a turbo one? Which turbo mufflers are good?
west_minist
Turbo muff. are a little larger and are made to withstand the heat and high pressures and stresses.

HKS, VeilSide, Blitz, Apex, Greddy, Tanabe and others. HKS are the best in my book
Andason
so if i was going to turbo my motor you would recommend one of these?
Matthew
i would
west_minist
QUOTE (Andason @ Jul 26, 2003 - 6:13 PM)
so if i was going to turbo my motor you would recommend one of these?

Yes I would. There are others, but my japanese nature is hks or greddy..

I would personally go with the titanimum models from hks and veilside.

In some review, the hks manange to beat out the veilside in stock trim.

But one wonders at high hp, but in the celica lead, the hks will do.
Andason
I am going to get the GREDDY SP exaust with the group buy, i would assume that no muffler comes with that, I dont want anything bumble bee sounding but more beefy sounding. Would a Greddy turbo muffler serve its purpose?
Matthew
the greddy SP comes with a muffler

its the WHOLE piping from the cat back

hence the name CAT BACK EXHAUST
Andason
Interesting... all the more reason to buy, I just thought it was from the cat back to the muffler. oh and what exactly does SP stand for?
TRDDawg
I heard that they are designed for reverse flow what exactly is that?
Uppitycracker
reverse or back flow is when there isnt enough pressure to push the exhaust steadily through the exhaust system so it will actually just move around and come back up the pipes. (as far as i know) so if you have 2.5inch pipes on a stock car, that could create reverse flow. On a turboed engine this doesnt matter.

Correct me if Im wrong thats just what Ive gathered from what I have read.
Andason

reverse or back flow is when there isnt enough pressure to push the exhaust steadily through the exhaust system so it will actually just move around and come back up the pipes. (as far as i know) so if you have 2.5inch pipes on a stock car, that could create reverse flow. On a turboed engine this doesnt matter.

So its designed against this happening correct?
Uppitycracker
possibly, but if turboed cars arent effected by back flow then maybe not, I think someone with more know how then me should answer that.
west_minist
QUOTE (TRDDawg @ Jul 26, 2003 - 9:24 PM)
I heard that they are designed for reverse flow what exactly is that?

I haven't heard that term before.

Basically, you can use a turbo muffler on a na if you keep the pipe size stock or semi stock. This is if your are going turbo.

It all has to do with flow characteristics and at different temperatures.

Turbo works very efficiently if the gasses are expell quickly or with no back pressure from the exhaust system..

It all has to do about flow and pipe size. To big a pipe will cause back pressure size the gases that are expell, cools to quickly, causing the preceeding gas to work harder to move it out the system.

In the NA applications, having a big pipe does the same think, but the application requires a different process.

NA need back pressure. Not too much or too little. There have to be a balance between torque & rpm.

This back pressure is need to keep combustable gases in the cylinder @ a high pressure. This comes about due to vavle overlapping.

Just before the exhaust vavle closes, the intake vavle is open. The expelled gases help pulls the gas mixture into the cyl. To much backpress may increase lowend power back causes a problem at the top and vice versa.

Do some more research and you will see what I am talking about.
HyperDeathKill
QUOTE (Uppitycracker @ Jul 26, 2003 - 8:34 PM)

Correct me if Im wrong thats just what Ive gathered from what I have read.

The Greddy SP is 2.5, and you notice gains from that one (albiet very little). I'd say anything bigger than a 2.5 would loose you performance on our N/A cars. That's just what I've read too, and my experience. So if you're really not going to go Turbo, don't get a really big pipe.

SP stands for Street Performance, it's just a designation, a product line. Like Windows XP, or GT and ST.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.