Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did my Valve Cover Gasket
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Pages: 1, 2
devilsden97
So the background, for about a year my car has been leaking small amounts of oil. (my garage floor shows it.) When i brought my car in for the inspection in november, the mechanic said i was leaking oil, and he presumes its from the valve cover gasket. So about 2 weeks ago I got a replacement gasket, and today i finally maned up, and put it in.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

^top of the motor off.

While I was at AutoZone getting oil and a filter (im also going to do my oil) I picked up some Duplicolor High temp engine paint.

IPB Image
IPB Image

^ its the same color, just ones in the sun, other is in shadow....I masked off the 16valve part, and the oil, and top where the plugs are put in.

REad on for more info.
m0dd3d1
What all is involved when doing this? I need to do this, I was told mine was leaking as well, and I'm sure it's good to do it for myself for once! I like the paint, nice job!
presure2
good job so far migga, be sure to use the FIPG in the humps!
wink.gif
jcaron9gt4
looks good! wait till you see mine in a couple weeks.... wink.gif
devilsden97
OK, paint is dry...and its on the car!

IPB Image
IPB Image
^i left a tumb print on the 16 valve part..... frown.gif Ill clean it up a little letter.

Tools:

IPB Image
^pliars for hose clamps

IPB Image
^extentions (i used 2 different ones...)

IPB Image
^12mm and 10mm socket

IPB Image
^Ratchets (again, i used 2 different ones)

IPB Image
^a MONSTER ratchet

IPB Image
^30mm or 1.25 inch socket.

IPB Image
^the 10mm and 12mm against the 1.25inch socket.

IPB Image
^rubber mallet

IPB Image
^gasket maker

IPB Image
^Toyota OEM gasket maker...cuz thats how EC6gc rolls (thanks alltracman)

IPB Image
^duplicolor enamel engine paint, 500°F

IPB Image
^blurry!

so far, all is well. The car isnt buttoned up for 2 reasons. Im gonna let the gasket maker set a little bit, and there was a casualty while removing the cover.

IPB Image
^pcv valve...i pulled a little to hard, and it broke. (look closely, its cracked, its actually in 2 peices...so im making a trip to autozone)

Manny i put the maker on the lobs, and a little on the corners...im not worried. i also observed where it was put on from the factory, and matched those places.
laff09
I'm about to do this myself, but I have a question. Is it alright to clean the whole cover (Both inside and out) with some simple green? WIll I have to used distilled water to rinse it off, or does it matter? ALSO if anyone has a link or source where I can get all the accessory belts for a 7afe, and timing belt kit while I'm at it, I'd be greatly appreciative
devilsden97
i jsut got shafted by autozone....they didnt have a pcv valve in stock...i have to wait till tuesday to get it.... frown.gif kindasad.gif

****!
dennischan0919
use brake cleaner to clean the valve cover, it works great!
laff09
Also, will Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 Sealant work fine for sealing the VC gasket? or should i pick up some of the Toyota stuff?
devilsden97
I got the toyota stuff from Alltracman (on 6gc.net) at the CSP meet. Id check to see how much it costs at a toyota dealer first, because OEM is MUCH better then half assed. One of my photos has the P/N on it.

p/n 00295-00103
RisingSun1
good work bro-
6strngs
do you have to use sealant? I didn't use any when I did mine. But I have to take the valve cover back off to do my injectors for my turbo soo anyway. This time I'm going with a toyota OEM gasket instead of "fel-pro"
presure2
QUOTE(6strngs @ Jun 3, 2007 - 3:15 AM) [snapback]564361[/snapback]

do you have to use sealant? I didn't use any when I did mine. But I have to take the valve cover back off to do my injectors for my turbo soo anyway. This time I'm going with a toyota OEM gasket instead of "fel-pro"

yes.
if you dont use sealant at the cam humps, it WILL leak.

GOOD JOB MIGGA!
FIPG FTW, kid!!
m0dd3d1
So you should use the gasket and the sealant?
jcaron9gt4
i used a gasket, but then a thin layer of FIPG. Seems to be holding up pretty well.
devilsden97
QUOTE(m0dd3d1 @ Jun 3, 2007 - 8:57 AM) [snapback]564400[/snapback]

So you should use the gasket and the sealant?

i used a felpro gasket, and the FIPG....
m0dd3d1
Sorry for all the questions, I figured if you've done it you'd save me some time when I try to do it.

So for taking the head off, you just need to pull the wires out the top, then unscrew the spark plugs? Or no? Then just pull the head off and replace the gasket?

When you apply the sealant you should just put it on over the gasket? And then put the head down on it, like a sandwich (if that makes any sense!)?

Thanks for all the help by the way!
m0dd3d1
laff09 or whoever was wondering, found this while searching around today: Toyota Sealant.
Daftboy
nice moves migga ...now you need to see mine...ill post a pic up when its done =p
devilsden97
QUOTE(m0dd3d1 @ Jun 3, 2007 - 12:36 PM) [snapback]564430[/snapback]

Sorry for all the questions, I figured if you've done it you'd save me some time when I try to do it.

So for taking the head off, you just need to pull the wires out the top, then unscrew the spark plugs? Or no? Then just pull the head off and replace the gasket?

When you apply the sealant you should just put it on over the gasket? And then put the head down on it, like a sandwich (if that makes any sense!)?

Thanks for all the help by the way!

^nah man its allllll good. Questions help u learn. U pull the plug wires, then unscrew the caps the go AROUND the channel were the plugs are. When i applyed the sealent, i looked at where it was orginally (it had some oozed out on the sides, and placed it there, but on the gasket. then i added a little bit more to the corners of the cams (as stated by Presure2) i also put some at the corners of the gasket itself, because its farthest from the presure points that help it seal.

So i went to an autozone near by and got the PCV valve....so its offically done!

PICS!

IPB Image
^complete (the "red" looks more orange....oh well ill deal.)

IPB Image
^new pcv valve

IPB Image
^CLEAN valve cover (sorta)

IPB Image
^5sfe power!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The rest is for lew!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
^hood up! cuz its pimpin

lagos
great job!
m0dd3d1
Thanks Devilsden! So has anyone done/thought about painting the intake manifold? Or would it get too hot? It just looks like it'd look really good in your bay if it was red as well!

Hopefully I can accomplish this without any hitches...hopefully. Otherwise I'll be one of the guys on here with a "OH SH**, PLEASE HELP" thread, again. smile.gif
devilsden97
QUOTE(m0dd3d1 @ Jun 3, 2007 - 8:36 PM) [snapback]564532[/snapback]

Thanks Devilsden! So has anyone done/thought about painting the intake manifold? Or would it get too hot? It just looks like it'd look really good in your bay if it was red as well!

Hopefully I can accomplish this without any hitches...hopefully. Otherwise I'll be one of the guys on here with a "OH SH**, PLEASE HELP" thread, again. smile.gif

the manafold is SOOOOO hard to get to, and to unbolt, its easier to remove the engine from the bay, and remove it...the bolts are on the back of the head, so theres little space between the firewall, and the motor. ITs just tuff, thats y most dont bother. If u have your motor pulled, id go for it, if not....dont waste your time.

If u do have any problems, seriously, pm me. ill offer any insight i can.
CaliJeff
So it IS totally necessary to get a new gasket when u do this ?
devilsden97
QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Jun 3, 2007 - 11:40 PM) [snapback]564573[/snapback]

So it IS totally necessary to get a new gasket when u do this ?

to paint it? No

i was replacing my gasket fromt he start. (it had a small leak) so while i had it off, i figured y not paint it.

Edit: If i knew so many people woulda been interested in this, i woulda taken more photos of the process, and try to put a DIY/how to, together.
bufferdan
You can paint anything on the engine... The valve cover gets hotter than the intake plenum. Its not THAT hard to remove either. I even paint the exhaust manifold heat shields with the 1200?degree paint and it holds up fine smile.gif
CaliJeff
Sounds good. So for the valve cover i should just clean it first, then perhaps sand it with 400 grit? then spray it ?
devilsden97
i cleaned mine with some engine degreaser, let it dry, then just sprayed it, the cover is pretty course, so it should stick fine.
6strngs
QUOTE(devilsden97 @ Jun 4, 2007 - 9:31 AM) [snapback]564727[/snapback]

i cleaned mine with some engine degreaser, let it dry, then just sprayed it, the cover is pretty course, so it should stick fine.

when I did mine, I also cleaned it with engine degreaser, but then I sprayed it with duplicolor engine primer before the color spray. It ended up coming out alot better than my friend's valve cover we did the day before using only a color coat.
Defgeph
Good job Miguel. I happy to see you working on the car. The valve cover looks great, you should paint the heat shield hi temp black. That valve cover looks a little lonely now.

thumbsup.gif
Sinyk
Now some red calipers to go with that shiny red car? smile.gif
devilsden97
QUOTE(Defgeph @ Jun 4, 2007 - 4:04 PM) [snapback]564852[/snapback]

The valve cover looks great, you should paint the heat shield hi temp black. That valve cover looks a little lonely now.

I think i have my next project...lol

the 5sfe's exaust manifold doesnt get hotter then 1200°F right? Also, i didnt clear coat my valve cover, and ive heard some people say its going to start chipping..any insight on that? Should i clear cloat the exaust manifold heat shield then?
laff09
Anyone elses valve cover a SOB to get off? I removed the acorn nuts, and the manual says to "remove" the valve cover. Easier said than done, I don't want to pry it off and damage the head/cover mating surface, and i punctured the seal, theres got to be something im missing? Any tips for removing teh actual valve cover?? 7afe btw
Valo666
Migga, b4 u did the valve cover gasket, did you have any oil coming into your sparkplug tubes or on your plugs?? Im trying to figure out where i got a leak from and i think it might be from the cover or the tube seals.
OOBE
Good job, brother. Hey, why does the 5S lean back like a gangsta? tongue.gif
6strngs
QUOTE(OOBE @ Jun 6, 2007 - 1:01 PM) [snapback]565694[/snapback]

Good job, brother. Hey, why does the 5S lean back like a gangsta? tongue.gif

because it's too big to fit in the bay otherwise.
devilsden97
QUOTE(laff09 @ Jun 6, 2007 - 3:23 PM) [snapback]565672[/snapback]

Anyone elses valve cover a SOB to get off? I removed the acorn nuts, and the manual says to "remove" the valve cover. Easier said than done, I don't want to pry it off and damage the head/cover mating surface, and i punctured the seal, theres got to be something im missing? Any tips for removing teh actual valve cover?? 7afe btw

that where the rubber mallet came into play. I beat it a little bit, and it should break loose.

QUOTE(Valo666 @ Jun 6, 2007 - 3:58 PM) [snapback]565690[/snapback]

Migga, b4 u did the valve cover gasket, did you have any oil coming into your sparkplug tubes or on your plugs?? Im trying to figure out where i got a leak from and i think it might be from the cover or the tube seals.

it was leaking on the passengerside/down the side facing the firewall (that corner) i did have oil in my #3 cylinder, it was VERY slight, i figure someone spilled some oil on the top, and it just pooled there. The valvecover doesnt seal the tubes that connect the spark plug wires to the spark plug to the cylinder itself (if that made sense. I can show u at DWG if ud like.
laff09
Thanks, I *forgot* to take off the washers..thatd appeared to be part of the valve cover itself LOL, after that it came off pretty easily. Waiting for the paint to dry now ebfore i put her back in.
Celicav
kindasad.gif Alright, so I finally decide to take this painting project on today and replace the valve cover gasket. BUT one SOB step I don't think has been mentioned (unless I missed it!) is that you have to unfasten that damn black plastic cover that sits between the timing belt cover and the left edge of the valve cover. This plastic cover sits over the bottom lip of the valve cover and it took me quite a while to figure out the right screws (there are two) to unhatch to loosen that plastic cover up in order to get the valve cover lip to clear (the screw closer to the fire wall is harder to get to). There are two screws you just have to loosen up on the black plastic cover, then you have to take off two other bracket screws associated with the tube that connects between this cover and the alternator.

I will post pics up later this week when I am all finished. My valve cover is drying at the moment...I painted it the high gloss black smile.gif
6strngs
QUOTE(Celicav @ Feb 3, 2008 - 12:06 PM) [snapback]637542[/snapback]

kindasad.gif Alright, so I finally decide to take this painting project on today and replace the valve cover gasket. BUT one SOB step I don't think has been mentioned (unless I missed it!) is that you have to unfasten that damn black plastic cover that sits between the timing belt cover and the left edge of the valve cover. This plastic cover sits over the bottom lip of the valve cover and it took me quite a while to figure out the right screws (there are two) to unhatch to loosen that plastic cover up in order to get the valve cover lip to clear (the screw closer to the fire wall is harder to get to). There are two screws you just have to loosen up on the black plastic cover, then you have to take off two other bracket screws associated with the tube that connects between this cover and the alternator.

I will post pics up later this week when I am all finished. My valve cover is drying at the moment...I painted it the high gloss black smile.gif

for some reason, it seems some celicas have these screws and others don't. mine didn't.
hurley97
QUOTE(devilsden97 @ Jun 2, 2007 - 3:01 PM) [snapback]564215[/snapback]

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

you're burning oil
Celicav
So, I finished up painting my valve cover, put the new gasket in, applied the Toyota FIPG in the correct spots (according to your advice, Haynes manual, and residue of original FIPG), set the cover on without pinching any cords, and tightened everything else up (used 17 ft/lbs on the spark plug hole nuts). Then, I let the car sit cold for 2 hours (the FIPG instructions say you can start car 1-2 hrs after application) before starting. I ran the car in place for 10 minutes, and lo and behold, I've got a leak...about a 3-inch wide puddle on the passenger side. I must be leaking on the back side of the valve cover.

Advice?
Just get it redone at Toyota and avoid hassle of redoing it? Or, try the car out again tomorrow to give FIPG more time to harden? Or, the leak is not that bad and just keep adding oil?

The purpose of replacing the gasket was to stop leaks, and I obviously don't have a perfect seal. I'm thinking it is not good to keep having a leaky engine, but appreciate your advice. I'm afraid to see how much Toyota or any other shop charges to have this gasket replaced!
wink.gif
6strngs
1: you might have just spilled some oil if you drained and refilled while doing this.

2: you might be leaking from somewhere else.

3: is that the torque spec? I always thought they needed to be tighter than that.

4: for sure do it yourself if you verify that that is where it's leaking from. just remove it again (won't be stuck on there this time around) clean up all the FIPG and clean the mating surface nice and good and make sure there's no oil on it. also make sure to put FIPG between the valve cover and the gasket as well as between the gasket and the head. since the gasket is only a day old I'm sure you won't need to buy another and can just re-use it.

good luck and post pics!
GriffGirl
I have 2 questions, as I intend to undertake this endeavor myself in the not-too-distant-future. 1) what is FIPG? and 2) when the valve cover is off, if what's underneath looks like devilsden's, should one clean up the motor? If so, with what? What would the proper procedure be for this?

Thanks!
Batman722
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Feb 5, 2008 - 1:33 PM) [snapback]638327[/snapback]

I have 2 questions, as I intend to undertake this endeavor myself in the not-too-distant-future. 1) what is FIPG? and 2) when the valve cover is off, if what's underneath looks like devilsden's, should one clean up the motor? If so, with what? What would the proper procedure be for this?

Thanks!

FIPG
Form In Place Gasket

when the cover is off (very easy to do on an ST) don't put anything in there, and don't let anything fall in there either. The best way to clean up the inside of the motor (other than taking it all apart) is to use seafoam and follow the instructions.
thespacepanda
I was wondering, if anyone has taken the valve cover off their ST can someone post pics of the bolts that need to be removed. I need to do a new gasket and I want to paint it too and I've never removed one. If not pics just tell me how many have to come off. And did you have to pry the cover off or does it lift off?
Rook
nice job on the valve cover man! now i'm wanting to do that. lol. So...you think doing that would be hard for a 17 year old Rook? biggrin.gif
Rook
Did my valve cover gasket! now i got a new problem: i broke a hose:( i'm guessing its the PCV Hose?? I'd put a pic but idk how. Ugh. Today= horrible day. I went to the auto parts stores and no one has it. Should i head out to Toyota or wat?
6strngs
QUOTE (Rook @ Nov 19, 2008 - 6:48 PM) *
nice job on the valve cover man! now i'm wanting to do that. lol. So...you think doing that would be hard for a 17 year old Rook? biggrin.gif

nah, go back to the parts store and tell them you want a foot of 3/8 hose. take it home, cut it to length, and voila... if possible, take the broken hose with you to compare for size. If it is the PCV though, should be 3/8
Rook
oh...well i already put one on...but im not sure wat size it is. It sounds really bad though. i cut it to size and put it on as tight as it could go. The engine sounds rough at idle though...and i feel some of my power missing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.